i7-6700K Voltages

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

@r1Ns3 Dude, you can push 1.4v through it all day long with your H110.

At 1.3 you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

FTR I have my 6700K running at 1.42v for a 4.9Ghz OC, now granted I do have a full custom water loop and I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody else to copy me but as the poster above said, up to 1.4v is not an issue for Skylake.

1.35 is the max 24/7 IMO.

Says who? I've seen people with badly binned chips that need almost 1.3v just to run stock.

Skylake has no FIVR on die so it can take much more V and produce much less heat than Haswell and Devils Canyon.

Hey everyone, just overclocking my i7-6700K, trying to get it to 4.5 Ghz, haven't done any stability tests because I am scared of the voltage I should be using.

Can someone tell me what is SUPER safe for 24/7 operation? I am on my computer for like 12 hours a day and like 6 hours during weekdays.

I have it set to 1.31 Volts in the UEFI Bios but in CPU-Z the CORE-VID seems to jump around and if I run a game or a stress test it goes up to like 3.325 or 3.225 Volts COMPLETELY ignoring my instructions of 1.31 volts. Why is this?

Is my CPU just a really bad over clocker and I will just have to try and get 4.4 Ghz instead?

Or is this normal and I should be expecting this? Temperature isn't an issue though (GTX H110i AIO owner ;))

​If any more info is needed to help, I am available please just leave a comment, thanks in advance.

PS: My build is in my signature.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Don't know if this still applies, but in the past Extreme was more focus towards overclocking, while Formula is catered towards gaming/entertainment. This doesn't mean Formula doesn't have oc features. It still does, just not at much as the Extreme. where is has comes with that oc panel and onboard probe points. I'll go with the Formula.

Cpu Z on z170 is quite buggy.

Try a different software, or try a voltage meter if your board has voltage read points.

If you're setting 1.31 in bios, that's most likely what it's doing.

You can do 1.4v 24/7 no big deal, with good cooling 1.45 no problem.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Cpu Z on z170 is quite buggy.

Try a different software, or try a voltage meter if your board has voltage read points.

If you're setting 1.31 in bios, that's most likely what it's doing.

You can do 1.4v 24/7 no big deal, with good cooling 1.45 no problem.

Ok, do you think it can survive 3-4 years of gaming running 1.31 volts?

Also, I just tried doing another software, on Aida x64 EXTREME I did a small benchmark made sure that load on CPU is at 100% and looked at the VID of my CPU in aida 64 and It was doing the same as CPU-Z!! it was going up to 1.35 volts and voltages like that. But as you said if 1.4 volts is safe and it's maxing at 1.35 this shouldn't be a problem I am assuming?

Spoiler

Hey everyone, just overclocking my i7-6700K, trying to get it to 4.5 Ghz, haven't done any stability tests because I am scared of the voltage I should be using.

Can someone tell me what is SUPER safe for 24/7 operation? I am on my computer for like 12 hours a day and like 6 hours during weekdays.

I have it set to 1.31 Volts in the UEFI Bios but in CPU-Z the CORE-VID seems to jump around and if I run a game or a stress test it goes up to like 3.325 or 3.225 Volts COMPLETELY ignoring my instructions of 1.31 volts. Why is this?

Is my CPU just a really bad over clocker and I will just have to try and get 4.4 Ghz instead?

Or is this normal and I should be expecting this? Temperature isn't an issue though (GTX H110i AIO owner ;))

​If any more info is needed to help, I am available please just leave a comment, thanks in advance.

PS: My build is in my signature.

Thats what I think as well, but the bloody motherboard isn't listening to my instructions, it's ignoring my 1.31 voltage limit! wtf?

Spoiler

FTR I have my 6700K running at 1.42v for a 4.9Ghz OC, now granted I do have a full custom water loop and I certainly wouldn't recommend anybody else to copy me but as the poster above said, up to 1.4v is not an issue for Skylake.

Says who? I've seen people with badly binned chips that need almost 1.3v just to run stock.

Skylake has no FIVR on die so it can take much more V and produce much less heat than Haswell and Devils Canyon.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Ok, I dunno why but the max on CPUID HWMonitor just rose up to 1.35 volts but at least it will only run at that voltage when its at like 100% load.

This seems good, I will stick with this and temperatures aren't an issue at all as I max out at 65° Celcius so hopefully this will work fine for 3-4 years at least :)

thanks everyone, mark solved

Spoiler