Starting a Computer Science Club in High School.

Nohemi
Go to solution Solved by aeroencychris,

um how do I make it not sound nerdy?

That's always the fun part. I know a good example I've seen is 3D printers, which seems to fascinate a lot of people. You just have to spark their interest and not approach it like "this will be a club aimed towards object-oriented programming... blah blah blah...". Make it sound appealing. Maybe even offer food for the first meeting? Having "cool" friends join in too helps. It all really depends on your school situation but ultimately make it sound appealing.

SO the topic title is pretty self explanatory. Any ideas on what do do in this aforementioned computer science club? Any fundraiser ideas? Sponsors that I should look at?

SO the topic title is pretty self explanatory. Any ideas on what do do in this aforementioned computer science club? Any fundraiser ideas? Sponsors that I should look at?

Talk to science/math/tech departments. Get a faculty sponsor maybe. Posters/talking at some sort of school meeting is good to raise awareness. Make it sound appealing to people and not a nerdy thing so people actually join. As for fundraising flat-out asking the school for funds can often work, but stuff like bake sales work too.

Also, follow your topics :)

How experienced are you in coding? For fundraisers, maybe do a "Taking donations to clean computers" thing. Idunno. Maybe go around to local companies? For sponsors I'd go to larger local computer businesses. What do you need a sponsor for?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Raise money to build a 36 core monster and see how many frames you can get on minesweeper or minecraft.

Or start a youtube channel and become famous (cause it works like that)

Talk to science/math/tech departments. Get a faculty sponsor maybe. Posters/talking at some sort of school meeting is good to raise awareness. Make it sound appealing to people and not a nerdy thing so people actually join. As for fundraising flat-out asking the school for funds can often work, but stuff like bake sales work too.

okay

How experienced are you in coding? For fundraisers, maybe do a "Taking donations to clean computers" thing. Idunno. Maybe go around to local companies? For sponsors I'd go to larger local computer businesses. What do you need a sponsor for?

I don’t know maybe I was thinking that I could get some parts so that people in the club can actually build or take apart a computer 

And not very but I have watched a couple of guides on it, I think I kinda get it 

Or start a youtube channel and become famous (cause it works like that)

Yeah I’m not really social. I am an introvert. I don’t think I can ever put myself on YouTube

Clean computers as in actually dusting them or removing viruses.

That's always the fun part. I know a good example I've seen is 3D printers, which seems to fascinate a lot of people. You just have to spark their interest and not approach it like "this will be a club aimed towards object-oriented programming... blah blah blah...". Make it sound appealing. Maybe even offer food for the first meeting? Having "cool" friends join in too helps. It all really depends on your school situation but ultimately make it sound appealing.

Very short term: Project about Console vs. PC

Short term: Teach a class to Middle/elementary students

Medium term: Scrap-computer cluster computer

Long term: Build a PC, give it to IT leader

Very Long term: Build an entire custom-built computer lab

Clean computers as in actually dusting them or removing viruses.

Removing viruses.  ;)

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

lol those are some interesting goals

I don’t really want to bribe people for members, I want people who are actually interested in the sub jest matter.

what do you mean give it to the IT leader? the person in charge?

Your build in your description is lovely lol

Danke! (That means thank you.) :P

I don’t really want to bribe people for members, I want people who are actually interested in the sub jest matter.

Well, that's a bit of a personal choice. A big purpose of a club (to me) is to get people who were previously not interested. A lot of people will just turn their heads if they see comp sci stuff and therefore not even give it a chance. The bribery is so that they give it at least one chance. Then, who knows, maybe they'll get hooked. If not then oh well, you lost some brownies.

what do you mean give it to the IT leader? the person in charge?

I assume the person who is in charge of the IT department of the school.

I assume the person who is in charge of the IT department of the school.

there is no IT department lol, thats why I want to start a computer club

there is no IT department lol, thats why I want to start a computer club

So wait, are there no computers at your school?

Well, that's a bit of a personal choice. A big purpose of a club (to me) is to get people who were previously not interested. A lot of people will just turn their heads if they see comp sci stuff and therefore not even give it a chance. The bribery is so that they give it at least one chance. Then, who knows, maybe they'll get hooked. If not then oh well, you lost some brownies.

I mean I do want a few members but I am a little shy so I don’t know if I can talk to like 20-30 people