T mobile binge on

spartaman64

So basically it is a t moblie service that limits videos to 480p and videos watched with it enabled will not count towards the data cap. And t mobile is going to try to get an exception from the FCC to allow them to continue with this program. http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/t-mobiles-video-throttling-may-not-violate-net-neutrality-lawyers-say/

My opinion is that this program shouldn't exist because it gives video services like youtube, Netflix, and hulu an unfair advantage against smaller video companies. I also don't like how it is on by default and consumers who are less informed might not know about this and should have made it opt in.

Might sound good, but NOPE JUST DON'T.

Yes they can give consumers benefits they like, but we have to say no and put net neutrality our #1 priority, even if that means missing out on things we might like.

Because as soon as we allow such things, they will screw us almost instantly, and as soon as that happens, it will go downhill really really fast.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Technically the other post is the repost, cause this was first. Although the other is better formatted.

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Technically the other post is the repost, cause this was first. Although the other is better formatted.

No the one I linked was posted in November.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No the one I linked was posted in November.

Ahh sorry jumped the gun, thought you meant this one http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522652-t-mobiles-binge-on-throttles-all-videos-even-ones-that-count-towards-your-cap/

Which gives some new information

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

So basically it is a t moblie service that limits videos to 480p and videos watched with it enabled will not count towards the data cap. And t mobile is going to try to get an exception from the FCC to allow them to continue with this program. http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/t-mobiles-video-throttling-may-not-violate-net-neutrality-lawyers-say/

My opinion is that this program shouldn't exist because it gives video services like youtube, Netflix, and hulu an unfair advantage against smaller video companies. I also don't like how it is on by default and consumers who are less informed might not know about this and should have made it opt in.

Wait, I understand the unfair advantage thing. What I don't understand is why it's a problem that it's on by default. It only benefits us, there isn't a negative to keeping it on right?

EDIT: He even announced that anyone can join if they have the tech. They're adding a bunch of new video sources.

Wait, I understand the unfair advantage thing. What I don't understand is why it's a problem that it's on by default. It only benefits us, there isn't a negative to keeping it on right?

EDIT: He even announced that anyone can join if they have the tech. They're adding a bunch of new video sources.

some people might not know about this and are stuck with 480p video when they want hd video and they cant possibly respond to every video streaming service and add them in and i doubt the admission process is free of charge. also there are probably some legal issues that make it harder for smaller video streaming services to get in who can't afford the lawyers to manage everything legal wise

some people might not know about this and are stuck with 480p video when they want hd video and they cant possibly respond to every video streaming service and add them in and i doubt the admission process is free of charge. also there are probably some legal issues that make it harder for smaller video streaming services to get in who can't afford the lawyers to manage everything legal wise

They aren't stuck with 480p video. It's just if they do choose 480p it's free. They can choose whatever quality they want.

They aren't stuck with 480p video. It's just if they do choose 480p it's free. They can choose whatever quality they want.

they would get tired of having to manually select hd video every time

they would get tired of having to manually select hd video every time

I'm pretty sure it doesn't default to 480p and even IF it did setting it to hd takes like 1 second.

EDIT: Also if changing to HD is the biggest problem with on by default, then I'm glad they set it to on by default because a lot of customers wouldn't even know that this was being offered.

There is no real set resolution. They just simply detect that it's a video, then they throttle the speed so the video auto adjusts itself to 480p or lower.

I don't understand why people are mad... If they don't want to be throttled they can turn it off.

One problem is that they throttle all video, even that which isn't in the program and still counts toward your bandwidth cap. Another problem is that they've been proven guilty of using deep packet inspection for this.

With auto quality in twitch and other video services, it defaults to 480p. When you try to set it to source or the highest quality, it will be stuck buffering indefinitely because it's throttled. The only way to watch videos at that point is to go into your account settings and turn off binge on.

There is no real set resolution. They just simply detect that it's a video, then they throttle the speed so the video auto adjusts itself to 480p or lower.

I don't understand why people are mad... If they don't want to be throttled they can turn it off.

People are mad because

1) T-Mobile never said they throttled all videos. This had to be discovered through testing.

2) They throttle videos even if they count towards your data cap. Again, they were not clear with this.

3) It is on by default. In what world is it acceptable to throttle your customers and then just go "don't be mad, you can turn the throttling off"? Imagine if all ISPs did that for all traffic. Just upgraded to 100Mbps up/down? Well we will tell you we upgraded it, but you will actually have to call us up and then opt-out from our throttling. We call the throttling "web traffic optimizer" by the way. You know, just to confuse people.

4) Their CEO has exposed himself as a complete idiot who does not even know who the EFF are, and saying that Google are just "out for attention" by being mad at their throttling.

People are mad because

1) T-Mobile never said they throttled all videos. This had to be discovered through testing.

2) They throttle videos even if they count towards your data cap. Again, they were not clear with this.

3) It is on by default. In what world is it acceptable to throttle your customers and then just go "don't be mad, you can turn the throttling off"? Imagine if all ISPs did that for all traffic. Just upgraded to 100Mbps up/down? Well we will tell you we upgraded it, but you will actually have to call us up and then opt-out from our throttling. We call the throttling "web traffic optimizer" by the way. You know, just to confuse people.

4) Their CEO has exposed himself as a complete idiot who does not even know who the EFF are, and saying that Google are just "out for attention" by being mad at their throttling.

Why are they mad that it's throttling video. If they don't want to be throttled, turn it off. It's about as ridiculous as someone getting mad that their crayon box comes with the color black, just don't fucking use it.

Why are they mad that it's throttling video. If they don't want to be throttled, turn it off. It's about as ridiculous as someone getting mad that their crayon box comes with the color black, just don't fucking use it.

and how many people know about this? its on by default so people who are not informed consumers are stuck at 480p this is probably going to end up reducing the amount of data t mobile needs to send