Is RAID 0 An Automatic Process?

AsrielDreemurr
Go to solution Solved by pwn_intended,

Computers will never do anything automatically unless you have explicitly instructed them to do something automatically.

If you have an intel CPU, then you can use the built in RAID utility to create a RAID, but you will have to do it yourself. When run independently, they are just 2 separate drives with nothing to do with each other. You can RAID 1 them so that it is in theory safer if one fails the other still has all the data, or you can RAID 0 them to make them have double the space and speed, but at the cost of if one drive dies, al your data is done.

Okay; That's a weird question... 

If I have two SSD's on the system, do they run independently? Or do the automatically 'fuse' to run RAID 0. Because, if I'm correct, don't you need a RAID controller? 

If they run independently, are they any more safer than one SSD? Is safety compromised?

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

I believe you can run in RAID without a RAID controller, its just safer to run with one.

1) no they do not automatically raid

2) no you dont need a raid controller to run raid, your motherboard can do software raid

3) you should not to software raid on a consumer motherboard unless youre fine with losing all your data and having to do a clean install

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

RAID is something you have to enable, one way or another. The chipset in Intel motherboards (dunno about AMD) can function as a RAID controller, but you still have to go into the BIOS/UEFI and set it up. If you use a dedicated RAID card then they also of course have to be plugged into that.

RAID0 is less safe than just running them independently. But it's not like they'll spontaneously combust within a week.

Computers will never do anything automatically unless you have explicitly instructed them to do something automatically.

If you have an intel CPU, then you can use the built in RAID utility to create a RAID, but you will have to do it yourself. When run independently, they are just 2 separate drives with nothing to do with each other. You can RAID 1 them so that it is in theory safer if one fails the other still has all the data, or you can RAID 0 them to make them have double the space and speed, but at the cost of if one drive dies, al your data is done.

When in doubt, re-format.

I believe you can run in RAID without a RAID controller, its just safer to run with one.

The Intel raid built into the chipset is plenty safe (and I would argue even safer since it is totally ubiquitous to all intel chipsets) for HOME use. If you are running a fancy ass enterprise raid setup (kinda like the stuff Linus is doing) then a proper controller is a MUST.

When in doubt, re-format.

The Intel raid built into the chipset is plenty safe (and I would argue even safer since it is totally ubiquitous to all intel chipsets) for HOME use. If you are running a fancy ass enterprise raid setup (kinda like the stuff Linus is doing) then a proper controller is a MUST.

I don't plan to use RAID. In fact, I don't want it. That's why I made to post ;3;

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

The Intel raid built into the chipset is plenty safe (and I would argue even safer since it is totally ubiquitous to all intel chipsets) for HOME use.

I would add the caveat the Intel chipset raid 5, and 6 (for the ones that are capable of it) are pretty crap though. I mean, they do it, but it's parity calculation is horribly slow. But yeah their raid 0, 1, and 10 performance is pretty solid and ubiquitous at this point. Sometimes you have problems going from one chipset to another, but even that is starting to get rare these days on intel raid.