One 500GB SSD or Two 250GB SSD's?

AsrielDreemurr
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

~snip~

Hey again :)

SSDs do have a write limit after which they become read-only but that limit is way bigger than most regular users can read before something else fails or the time for an upgrade comes. I would consult with the manufacturer for the amount of data that can be written on the drive before it goes in a read-only mode or its performance starts to degrade. Larger SSDs would have more space to be used for garbage collection and reallocation of data among the clusters. :) 
Either option should be good for you. 

Post back if you get some data from the manufacturer or if you have other questions. 

Captain_WD.

Which would be better overall? I'll be writing to both/one of these everyday (1-4gb). 

(There's also a 2TB Black for bulk storage)

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

Raid 0 SSD's would be faster, but keep in mind that you choose a decent quality SSD with plenty of warranty. Samsung's 850 Evo get you 5 years, while the 850 Pro series offer 10 years of warranty, but are more expensive. They're a general guideline to how long they will last you.

1 is more reliable (fewer points of failure) 2 is twice as fast.

tbh i find 1 SSD to be easily fast enough, though your mileage may vary.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

~snip~

Hey there AsrielDreemurr,

It depends on what you want from the storage. A single larger SSD generally works faster than the smaller version and is less risky to use if compared to a RAID0 array with two smaller ones. Moreover a single SSD should boot faster compared to a RAID0 as the RAID needs to be initialized first. It takes less SATA ports and less space in the case meaning more room for airflow. 
Two SSD doesn't mean you will get twice the speed. RAID0 offers a good boost (around 85%) to sequential read/write speeds while offering little to none gain on the random ones which matter more in everyday usage. 
You could use two separate SSDs as standalone drives which could give you some safety in case one fails (the other would still have its data). 
My vote would go for the single larger drive. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

-snip-

Hai Captain_WD.

I will be writing and converting videos to the ssd drive daily. This SSD will also hold my commonly used games and my OS. 

I'm not looking into 2 ssd's to use a raid array. I want them running independently; one for writing videos, one for the os/games. I'm worried about one SSD as I've heard that writing constantly to an ssd can kill it quite easily.

- Asriel.

If you play Geometry Dash, would you take the time to rate this demon? 14986973 ;3;

~snip~

Hey again :)

SSDs do have a write limit after which they become read-only but that limit is way bigger than most regular users can read before something else fails or the time for an upgrade comes. I would consult with the manufacturer for the amount of data that can be written on the drive before it goes in a read-only mode or its performance starts to degrade. Larger SSDs would have more space to be used for garbage collection and reallocation of data among the clusters. :) 
Either option should be good for you. 

Post back if you get some data from the manufacturer or if you have other questions. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

~Snip~

Hello there, again ;D

I've found that I'll go with the two ssd for a reason:

The evo 850 500/1tb has a tbw of 150 before it enters the read-only mode. The 120/250gb versions only offering 75tbw. The 850 pro 128/256gb variants, however, has a tbw of 150; the 500/1tb having 300tbw. 

My idea would be to take one 256gb pro and one 250gb evo. The evo would hold the os/games/frequently used programs. (little writing, mainly reading. The 850 pro (with the 150tbw life span) would be purely for writing videos to. Instead of having 500gb with 150tbw life for frequent files and videos, I've cut it into two halves, still leaving 150tbw for videos, and 75tbw for frequent files as they don't need to write often.

Write back if you find a better solution that would benefit me ;)

- Asriel.

I have two ssd's and I think it was a mistake. If I was to do it again I'd just go with one larger drive. As for the performance, it's been proven that the performance of a good quality drive is far in excess of what you'll ever will see. If it is a real concern, look at the enterprise ssd's instead of the consumer level. You'll pay for that, though.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

~snip~

Well the interesting thing is that if you are writing about 4GB every day to the drive and it has a limit of 150TB this means that your drive will last you about 37,500 days which is more than 102 years :) (150,000GB/4G per day = 37,500 days/365days per year = 102+ years)
With that being said, I would reconsider the choice and see what would be the more budget-friendly option. :)
But your option is good too and should work just fine. :)

Captain_WD.

-snip-

Well, guess I didn't look at it that way :) So, even two separate evo 850's with 250gb of size would last me 50 odd years. (Best case scenario) That's way more time than I need. In fact, I should be replacing in about three to four years :D

Thanks for the help. I think I'll go with one evo 850 500gb variant as it will last way longer than it's usefulness. Thanks for the help :3

- Asriel.

Hello there, again ;D

I've found that I'll go with the two ssd for a reason:

The evo 850 500/1tb has a tbw of 150 before it enters the read-only mode. The 120/250gb versions only offering 75tbw. The 850 pro 128/256gb variants, however, has a tbw of 150; the 500/1tb having 300tbw.

My idea would be to take one 256gb pro and one 250gb evo. The evo would hold the os/games/frequently used programs. (little writing, mainly reading. The 850 pro (with the 150tbw life span) would be purely for writing videos to. Instead of having 500gb with 150tbw life for frequent files and videos, I've cut it into two halves, still leaving 150tbw for videos, and 75tbw for frequent files as they don't need to write often.

Write back if you find a better solution that would benefit me ;)

- Asriel.

Just wanted to mention I'm pretty sure it isn't 150 TBW until read only mode, it's guaranteed to last AT LEAST 150 TBW. Since the warranty is years or TBW whichever comes first, and nobody cuts warranties that close because they would be replacing drives all the time, I'd say you're likely good to at least double that amount.

Just wanted to mention I'm pretty sure it isn't 150 TBW until read only mode, it's guaranteed to last AT LEAST 150 TBW. Since the warranty is years or TBW whichever comes first, and nobody cuts warranties that close because they would be replacing drives all the time, I'd say you're likely good to at least double that amount.

Wow. That's a lot. xD

~snip~

This is another thing that you should consider. Warranty does not mean it is the point of failure. It means that the company guarantees that the drive will reach that point for sure and if something happens you will get a replacement. Drives are designed to surpass the warranty so this should be considered the minimum point, not the optimal one. 
You would be more likely to encounter problems such as bad sectors or data corruption or other things that may cause your drive to fail before you reach your write limit with regular consumer usage. :)

Captain_WD.

-snip-

My goodness... This makes it much easier to decide now. Thank you!

- Asriel.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. That's a lot. xD

http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

in this test you can see that they will do one petabyte or more (= 1 million gigabytes) before eventually dying..