CX 750M a sufficient power supply?

Blacky_the_Bear

I bought a xfx r9 390 and am planning to get a Intel i5 4690k cpu with the Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler (main components that are power hungry). A family member gave me the cx750m 80plus B but im not sure if it is capable to fully run the system and be able to overclock a bit. What power supply would you recommend for this build?

I bought a xfx r9 390 and am planning to get a Intel i5 4690k cpu with the Corsair H100i liquid cpu cooler (main components that are power hungry). A family member gave me the cx750m 80plus B but im not sure if it is capable to fully run the system and be able to overclock a bit. What power supply would you recommend for this build?

In short: yes. (It's a lot more than capable)

Almost as cool as my temps  

Please don't get the PSU. Not good. Get something like Season or Evga 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

It is, was about to say it's a little bit a lot for that but you already have one, so go for it.

In short: yes. (It's a lot more than capable)

It is, was about to say it's a little bit a lot for that but you already have one, so go for it.

post-233981-0-79467500-1452120760_thumb.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It will be sufficient however take note of the manufacturers continuous output rated temp...Corsair states 30 deg celsius. Above that and it may malfunction/degrade quicker if used above it for long periods.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

A recommended alternative would be EVGA G2 series

That sounds a lot like a marketing ploy. 'This perfectly functioning PSU isn't good enough for you - because there's a more expensive version over here'.

Is there actually a technical reason you're saying it's not suitable? Not providing enough power to a certain component or anything?

That sounds a lot like a marketing ploy. 'This perfectly functioning PSU isn't good enough for you - because there's a more expensive version over here'.

Is there actually a technical reason you're saying it's not suitable? Not providing enough power to a certain component or anything?

Yes. It's "basic". It can't handle the constantly shifting wattages that a "gaming" rig needs. Its capacitors are the cheap ones found in no name units.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

I mean in wattage

Not a good idea to even get close to its rated wattage. 400W is safe on that thing. 400W is also not enough to power a system with a 390 in it.

Yes. It's "basic". It can't handle the constantly shifting wattages that a "gaming" rig needs. Its capacitors are the cheap ones found in no name units.

I've built 3 gaming machines with CX500s in them, all are several years old and none have yet failed in any way. 

Am I extremely lucky?

I've built 3 gaming machines with CX500s in them, all are several years old and none have yet failed in any way. 

Am I extremely lucky?

Very.

Very.

Even if they are as much of a liability as you claim them to be, a 750W PSU in a single GPU machine wont be under pressure at all to deliver the power even when CPU/GPU are at max load.

Even if they are as much of a liability as you claim them to be, a 750W PSU in a single GPU machine wont be under pressure at all to deliver the power even when CPU/GPU are at max load.

Load doesn't matter. Cheap capacitors will literally explode under any load.

Load doesn't matter. Cheap capacitors will literally explode under any load.

Why would anyone buy them if they explode so often?

I'd guess the silent (vast) majority of users have had little or no problems with theirs.

I'm not defending its components, it's a budget PSU series, but with that in mind it performs very well. 

Is it less reliable than a Seasonic PSU? Of course.

Is it as bad as a generic no-brand PSU? Nowhere near it.

For the average user they're more than good enough, and at a very attractive price point (literally half the price of the AX series).

Why would anyone buy them if they explode so often?

I'd guess the silent (vast) majority of users have had little or no problems with theirs.

I'm not defending its components, it's a budget PSU series, but with that in mind it performs very well. 

Is it less reliable than a Seasonic PSU? Of course.

Is it as bad as a generic no-brand PSU? Nowhere near it.

For the average user they're more than good enough, and at a very attractive price point (literally half the price of the AX series).

They don't know what they're in for. It's inexperienced builders who use them.

The CX750M is a PUQ-B unit internally, which is a good platform in the mainstream segment in itself. Of course, the CX variant is a bit cost down in comparison to other units that uses this platform.

Since you already gotten it (not to mentioned, for free), just used it. The CX750M is capable of power a single GPU setup like the R9 390

They don't know what they're in for. It's inexperienced builders who use them.

Or perhaps they're on a budget.

Or perhaps they're on a budget.

Then buy a cheap SeaSonic unit.

Then buy a cheap SeaSonic unit.

They are significantly more expensive.

They are significantly more expensive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx750m - 74.99 USD

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze - 64.99 USD

Far more reliable for less.

A 750W could handle 2 reasonable wattage GPUs.

A 620W could not.

Did he say he wanted dual GPU' s? No? OK.

Did he say he wanted dual GPU' s? No? OK.

He did not, but he did say he already had a CX750.

Why waste money on another PSU for the sake of a modest reliability increase, and significant wattage drop

@airdeano this thread is proof enough that I'm not the only one who thinks the CX series is a shitshow.