Making Windows 8 Modern UI "Better"

Hey people.

I just wanted to post something I thought was cool.

I know most of us hate Windows 8 Modern UI and I am one of them so was looking for some things to make the jump bearable.

There were two programs I found that helped.

The first being Custom Tile Maker, I know everyone has already heard about this but I find although it doesn't really serve a purpose it helps make the aesthetics look good.

The second is called OblyTile, this is really cool as you can make custom icons to launch various applications, web pages and folders. This is the main thing that make a difference to using Modern UI. Apart from the aesthetics if you willing to put in the initial work you could make it quite cool.

post-21766-0-55917600-1378062627.jpg

This is what I was able to do with these two programs.

Pretty simple but I have all that I need pretty much there (I am not a power user) and once I add more programs like eventually Office 2013, it's no problem making it neat and usable.

If you did indeed like this then give it a try, I know most people know about these programs so if you didn't continue using them maybe post why. (I could be satisfied with mediocre and not know it)

To get these two programs:

Use Windows Store for Custom Tile Maker, published by Goheer

and for OblyTile - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1899865

Thanks people for reading.

dat Stingray ass

Looks super nice gj! 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

WoW I did not know of these programs before.

This is going to really change how my modern ui looks.

Thanks.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I like the metro style icons but if it's just a shortcut to a desktop app, it looks like crap.

I just use Classic Shell and use Windows 8 like Windows 7. Works for me.

@Aza6001, wow man great wall!

It's really cool how you used the entire space of the screen.

A quick question, the games, were those made using Steam Tile and do they have to be Steam games?

Great work by the way.

Awesome guys!

I know I post this a lot, but many don't know, so sorry if you already seen this.

For a more work environment system. This is my start screen (old picture, today it's about the same, with more games installed):

dss.png

Something I have to try is mix you guys look, for games, with my layout.

@Aza6001, wow man great wall!

It's really cool how you used the entire space of the screen.

A quick question, the games, were those made using Steam Tile and do they have to be Steam games?

Great work by the way.

Thanks! And yes unfortunately they do have to be steam games.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks better than regular Windows 8.  I'm not saying I would use Windows 8 if I had a choice, but still better.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

• 2 months later...

This app has brought me to really enjoy the start screen. B)

startscreen_zpsff8b4848.png

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

• 2 months later...

This is cool, thanks!

And Microsoft should definitely add this option to the next update!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I doubt it. Microsoft did say that, at multiple times, that Windows 8 was going to be (well now is) a very risky direction.

And, I think that, like Vista, Microsoft went too ahead of it's time for some users, so now they try to take few steps back, especially for power users, and computer enthusiast which, ironically, seams to be the most reluctant to change, and spread the word and gives advice to others on how Windows 8 is bad. So, while Microsoft continues steps in the experimental stages of Windows 8 (as, while Microsoft won't admit it, it's clear that companies follows a 6 year life cycle, so making Windows 8 what Windows 8 is, at this time, was actually the best time to),so they are trying to focus more on keyboard/mouse users who have trouble adapting to changes.

I expect Windows 9 to the version of focus on polishing things, to have such feature, and a better ,ore unified looking GUI.

In other words, I think Microsoft is going: "What the heck? Lets try things" with Windows 8.1.1, in trying to please those who have trouble adapting to change. If it works, it will polished and be put in Windows 9, if not, then something else will be tried in Windows 9, and cross their fingers.

All to say, don't hold you breath until Win9, that would be my expectations and opinion. I would live the ability to right-click on a tile and pick an image or color, but I doubt it will be in Win8.