3770K OC questions

I have a few questions about overclocking my 3770k.

1. Is there any OC software I can use to OC my cpu from windows 10 pro on a z77 lga 1155 board?

2. Since a 3770k can reach 3.9GHz stock voltages. Can I OC mine to 4GHz with no voltage changes?

3. When stress testing my CPU, I can't leave it at a 12-24hr run because I use it everyday almost all day. How long can I leave it to determine if it's stable?

I will list more questions as I remember them. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

1. You can try using your motherboard's overclocking utility if such a thing exist. Otherwise you go into the bios and increase the multiplier to 40 to achieve 4.0GHz.

2. It is possible to do so. But it ultimately depends on how well you did in the silicon lottery. I used to run my 3770K at 4.6GHz constantly at 1.230 volt but now I run 4.2Ghz with an offset of +.010V. It all depends.

3. Usually I would run a bit of Aida 64....if it doesn't crash immediately in the first 15-30 mins....it's probably stable. I also would throw in some Valley and Asus Real Bench stress test just to see if the various scenario would cause the machine to crash. Lastly....play some games and if it crashes...just increase the voltage slightly. (What I said is completely not recommended(I don't even recommend this to anyone)...but it's what I do...)

3-6 Hours should be sufficient for a Stability test.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

1. You can try using your motherboard's overclocking utility if such a thing exist. Otherwise you go into the bios and increase the multiplier to 40 to achieve 4.0GHz.

2. It is possible to do so. But it ultimately depends on how well you did in the silicon lottery. I used to run my 3770K at 4.6GHz constantly at 1.230 volt but now I run 4.2Ghz with an offset of +.010V. It all depends.

3. Usually I would run a bit of Aida 64....if it doesn't crash immediately in the first 15-30 mins....it's probably stable. I also would throw in some Valley and Asus Real Bench stress test just to see if the various scenario would cause the machine to crash. Lastly....play some games and if it crashes...just increase the voltage slightly. (What I said is completely not recommended(I don't even recommend this to anyone)...but it's what I do...)

If I do need to push voltage. By how much each step should I push it?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Increasing the voltage if it is not stable is the correct thing todo, it adds stability if the CPU is lacking power for the OC

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

If I do need to push voltage. By how much each step should I push it?

.005v or .01v If you are an impatient guy like me. Never push it too much at a time.

I have a few questions about overclocking my 3770k.

1. Is there any OC software I can use to OC my cpu from windows 10 pro on a z77 lga 1155 board?

2. Since a 3770k can reach 3.9GHz stock voltages. Can I OC mine to 4GHz with no voltage changes?

3. When stress testing my CPU, I can't leave it at a 12-24hr run because I use it everyday almost all day. How long can I leave it to determine if it's stable?

I will list more questions as I remember them. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

1. UEFI -> CPU -> Multiplier

2. You should be able.

3. 2 hours of stress testing and some gaming

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1. UEFI -> CPU -> Multiplier

2. You should be able.

3. 2 hours of stress testing and some gaming

.005v or .01v If you are an impatient guy like me. Never push it too much at a time.

Ok so I saw that someone set the Turbo power limit and core current limit to 250 as part of a overclocking guide. Is that necessary? Also, What is CPU PLL and what should I set it to?

Ok so I saw that someone set the Turbo power limit and core current limit to 250 as part of a overclocking guide. Is that necessary? Also, What is CPU PLL and what should I set it to?

I don't touch that. The only thing I would touch is multiplier and voltage

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I don't touch that. The only thing I would touch is multiplier and voltage

So you have it set to auto as default?

So you have it set to auto as default?

Yes. I'm happy enough with my results that the limiting factor is the Tim. That's 4.5ghz at 1.205v

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Yes. I'm happy enough with my results that the limiting factor is the Tim. That's 4.5ghz at 1.205v

When I read about the voltages people set their cpu at, I remember seeing that if you set the cpu volts at a certain number that it constantly runs at that. So when I read that I wonder why people mention the voltage they apply to their overclock when it should be set to auto. Im confused at that. Could you please explain it to me?