imac jet

millerb415
Go to solution Solved by TDP_Equinox,
On 1/4/2016 at 8:00 AM, Deleted User said:

Or just don't get the imac if she doesn't need OSX

iMacs are pretty cool. 

OP: Dust it out. For some reason people seem to be un aware that dust can get into all in ones. 

If dusting it out does not fix it, check the sensors. If the temps are low and the fans are ramping up, it's a good chance it's the sensors. 

Have you recently replaced a hard drive?

If you have, and it was anything other than a hard drive with the sensor plug on it, this can happen. 

There is an app you can get that limits the fan speed. 

If all of above does not fix, it may be time to replace the iMac. 

Given that it is 7 years old, repairing the fan probably isn't worth it, and the new iMacs are pretty dope. 

my mom's 7 year old imac sounds like a jet is taking off under minimal load. is there any way for me to fix it i feel that the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink is bad but can u open an imac? and if this is not what the isue is then what else do you think that it is?

my mom's 7 year old imac sounds like a jet is taking off under minimal load. is there any way for me to fix it i feel that the thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink is bad but can u open an imac? and if this is not what the isue is then what else do you think that it is?

one word: dust

My native language is C++

Don't worry. With my vast experience of using old iMacs (my last school used loads of them). I can tell you it's normal for it to be hot and it's normal for it to be a bit loud. 

You physically can open it up but I wouldn't recommend it and frankly it's 7 years old. It's time for an upgrade. It's not worthwhile to maintain it anymore unless you literally don't have the money for it.

if she needs to use an iMac then the new 21.5" 1080p model should be fine. Don't get the base model, get the model above it (2.8GHz quad core model)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 1/4/2016 at 8:00 AM, Deleted User said:

Or just don't get the imac if she doesn't need OSX

iMacs are pretty cool. 

OP: Dust it out. For some reason people seem to be un aware that dust can get into all in ones. 

If dusting it out does not fix it, check the sensors. If the temps are low and the fans are ramping up, it's a good chance it's the sensors. 

If you have, and it was anything other than a hard drive with the sensor plug on it, this can happen. 

Given that it is 7 years old, repairing the fan probably isn't worth it, and the new iMacs are pretty dope. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

On 1/4/2016 at 10:11 AM, Deleted User said:

In your opinion. But generally I don't over pay for something because it's " pretty cool".

I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not iMac's are overpriced, it's simply a matter of value. 

Some people value that "Pretty cool" a lot. 

I personally, am a fan of building my own systems, but i'm also a fan of not building my systems. 'Cause building my own systems can be a lot of work. 

Regardless, whether or not you think iMac's are overpriced, your opinion does not affect OP's mom. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

iMacs are pretty cool. 

i will try this today, we have never replaced a hard drive on this computer because opining it is too much of a hassle she really does not do anything demanding on it only web browsing and making photo book (not photoediting), and word processing

On 1/4/2016 at 10:11 AM, Deleted User said:

In your opinion. But generally I don't over pay for something because it's " pretty cool".

i agree but my mom will pay for pritty

Don't worry. With my vast experience of using old iMacs (my last school used loads of them). I can tell you it's normal for it to be hot and it's normal for it to be a bit loud. 

You physically can open it up but I wouldn't recommend it and frankly it's 7 years old. It's time for an upgrade. It's not worthwhile to maintain it anymore unless you literally don't have the money for it.

if she needs to use an iMac then the new 21.5" 1080p model should be fine. Don't get the base model, get the model above it (2.8GHz quad core model)

my mom does not even use what this is capable of so if we are able to get the noise down that would allow her to not have to buy a new computer and that is the key for her

On 1/4/2016 at 7:03 PM, millerb415 said:

my mom does not even use what this is capable of so if we are able to get the noise down that would allow her to not have to buy a new computer and that is the key for her

You could always buy a used machine if fixing the fan does not seem possible. 

If it's silver iMac with the glass front, grab suction cups and use them on the top left and right of the screen (Held in by magnets). 

If it's a white iMac with no glass, it's a bit different to take apart. Undo all screws and stick a credit card in the top row of the machine to release the clips. 

On 1/4/2016 at 10:22 AM, Deleted User said:

Neither does yours on whether they are pretty cool. Either way, it's all opinion and the OP hasn't replied yet, so we need more information on what she is going to use it for.

Okay now think about this. You've used windows for a long time, maybe your whole life. Now go use a mac. Hard huh? Different? Imagine that times 30 for an older person, from trying to go to windows from mac. 

Just like you wouldn't switch platforms because it's $20 cheaper, neither would anyone else. 

Now since you have nothing to offer other than "Get a PC hur dur", you can leave. 

Thanks, 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

On 1/5/2016 at 7:18 AM, Deleted User said:

And that is why I said in my original post "we need more information" to see whether she is a user that uses apple only programme and loves apple. She is clearly not a user of those programmes, and only buys from apple because they look nice. There are many windows PCs that look nice and clean like apples design. We do not know whether she is willing to try windows, so you don't know that either. And yes, I have tried osx for a while and found it just as easy to use as windows, however found all the interesting settings hidden in places to stop stupid users from making mistakes.

Her main use of the machine is iPhoto.. 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

On 1/5/2016 at 4:28 PM, Deleted User said:

Well if that's the case then she may be willing to try out windows.

*iPhoto*

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

On 1/4/2016 at 7:53 AM, AluminiumTech said:

frankly it's 7 years old. It's time for an upgrade. It's not worthwhile to maintain it anymore unless you literally don't have the money for it.

"yeah, it's 7 years old. It's time to spend another 1500 $ +, because we can't first take a little time to try to fix the small problem"

On 1/6/2016 at 4:33 PM, Deleted User said:

There are windows alternatives. 

So what? Let's just first try to fix the problem. If it really can't be fixed, I suggest maybe looking into getting a second hand iMac, if you really don't like the sound (which I definitely understand and agree with :P)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

On 1/6/2016 at 4:53 PM, Deleted User said:

She's better off buying a windows PC for half the price, if all she uses is iPhoto. It depends whether she is willing to accept change and try windows alternatives.

She's better off first trying to repair what's a bit broken.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

On 1/6/2016 at 4:41 PM, TomvanWijnen said:

"yeah, it's 7 years old. It's time to spend another 1500 $ +, because we can't first take a little time to try to fix the small problem"

So what? Let's just first try to fix the problem. If it really can't be fixed, I suggest maybe looking into getting a second hand iMac, if you really don't like the sound (which I definitely understand and agree with  :P)

Computers generally last 3-5 years before they need an upgrade/replacement, if it's not a cheap fix you should get a new one. 

She's better off buying a windows PC for half the price, if all she uses is iPhoto. It depends whether she is willing to accept change and try windows alternatives.

Why are you even here?

*iPhoto*

Unless she wants to redo EVERY SINGLE ALBUM SHE HAS EVER MADE, she should stick with mac. 
I get it, you don't like apple, blah blah blah. 
Here is a surprise for you.. *Some people do*

Thanks for your wonderful contribution to this thread, there are gift bags at the door, i'll be sure to invite you to the next circle jerk, have a great day!

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Computers generally last 3-5 years before they need an upgrade/replacement, if it's not a cheap fix you should get a new one. 

That's short, imo :P If people really do that, they're even stupider than I though they already were, haha. (sorry for being annoying :P)

That's short, imo :P If people really do that, they're even stupider than I though they already were, haha. (sorry for being annoying :P)

no it sounds about right my pc is about 5 years old now and my CPU is starting fall far behind 

now dont get  me wrong if your happy with your old PC that good for you 

as for the 7 year old mac try cleaning it out with caned air are see if you have some Heave program runing in the backround

the fans might be dieing as well 

So what? Let's just first try to fix the problem. If it really can't be fixed, I suggest maybe looking into getting a second hand iMac, if you really don't like the sound (which I definitely understand and agree with :P)

You're gonna replace it soon anyways so might as well do it now.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sometimes, Like me, OS X is just a Little more Intuitive for Some people.

sorry have been stuck at work the last few days was able to get time to dust it out and got the sound down to an acceptable level so we do not have to buy a new computer (i do not know if that is good or bad) but my mom is happy and that is all that matters