Your recommendations on SOUNDCARD for GAMING?

Mr_Spanky

Sup' guys!

So, I'm buying the following headphones: Sennheiser PC363D, and with it buy a BEAST soundcard for no more than £100 ($147.75). I've done some research and the following are my findings:

- Creative Sound Blaster Zx

- Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo

I would like to know your opinion on which soundcard I should buy, preferably also include why :). Also please state your own recommendations, if they're under £100 and are optimised or great for gaming.

Thank you so much!

EDIT:

- Also, if you think a AMP is better please say and recommend me one to buy!

Additional Info

- The Sennheiser PC363D will mostly be used for gaming and mildly be used for quite dank bassy tunes
- The games I mainly play: CS:GO, COD BO3, BF4, FALLOUT 4 (Mainly FPS)
- From the soundcard and headphones I want accurate sounds that'll allow me to sound-whore the #*%t out of my opponents
- Motherboard is Asus Ranger VII Z97, The reason I want a soundcard, additional to the reason above, is because I get some interference through my motherboard audio :(

Unless you are doing professional audio production, an internal soundcard is redundant for gaming, if u need the placebo effect of having good audio then get a DAC

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

This?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/

Unless you'll be running a multi-channel (5.1 to 7.1) surround setup, or have a broken onboard audio, then there should be little reason to buying a sound card...

The best thing you could buy is a external DAC.

Unless you are doing professional audio production, an internal soundcard is redundant for gaming, if u need the placebo effect of having good audio then get a DAC

Thank you both for your replies!

So, I guess an external DAC would be better, but which one would you recommend?

I don't really need the 'placebo effect' as such, I just want to reduce the interference I'm currently getting.

regardless of what you are doing dont get a sound card. get a usb DAC if you want the features of a dedicated audio device or use the back audio on your motherboard. 

I'm here to help people and have fun. Feel free to chat! 

i5 6500

Asus Z170-AR 

Saphhire Nitro 380X

Hyper X Fury Black 16gb (2x8gb) 2133

If you're heading interference, then you'd need both amp and dac.

If you have optical out, you could grab SMSL amp and dac combo. Otherwise, syba dac should work.

I wouldn't recommend anything above $100 unless you're planning to upgrade to headphones that cost $300+

regardless of what you are doing dont get a sound card. get a usb DAC if you want the features of a dedicated audio device or use the back audio on your motherboard. 

Could you recommend me a DAC? :)

I would go with the soundblaster, SBX is better than Dolby Headphone for surround sound simulation. You can hear the difference:

I have owned both and find SBX vastly superior in my experience.

Dont get anything unless your onboard is giving you problems

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I would go with the soundblaster, SBX is better than Dolby Headphone for surround sound simulation. You can hear the difference:

I have owned both and find SBX vastly superior in my experience.

I agree with this.  Most modern Sound Blaster cards/components have a Headphone Amp built into them.  I'm especially fond of the Soundblaster Zx and the Omni 5.1, both of which have built-in amps and aren't terribly expensive.

I agree with this. Most modern Sound Blaster cards/components have a Headphone Amp built into them. I'm especially fond of the Soundblaster Zx and the Omni 5.1, both of which have built-in amps and aren't terribly expensive.

All sound cards have an amp, other wise you wouldn't hear anything

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

All sound cards have an amp, other wise you wouldn't hear anything (/sarc)

... I think you left your /sarc tag at home.  Let me provide you with one.

That being said, not all sound cards are created equally.  My Soundblaster Zx sounds a lot nicer than the Asus Xonar that I owned (and returned).

... I think you left your /sarc tag at home. Let me provide you with one.

That being said, not all sound cards are created equally. My Soundblaster Zx sounds a lot nicer than the Asus Xonar that I owned (and returned).

Um what?

What i said is true.

Sure, some have more powerful amps, but all have amps, otherwise there would be a lack of sound.

Sup' guys!

So, I'm buying the following headphones: Sennheiser PC363D, and with it buy a BEAST soundcard for no more than £100 ($147.75). I've done some research and the following are my findings:

- Creative Sound Blaster Zx

- Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo

I would like to know your opinion on which soundcard I should buy, preferably also include why :). Also please state your own recommendations, if they're under £100 and are optimised or great for gaming.

Thank you so much!

EDIT:

- Also, if you think a AMP is better please say and recommend me one to buy!

Additional Info

- The Sennheiser PC363D will mostly be used for gaming and mildly be used for quite dank bassy tunes
- The games I mainly play: CS:GO, COD BO3, BF4, FALLOUT 4 (Mainly FPS)
- From the soundcard and headphones I want accurate sounds that'll allow me to sound-whore the #*%t out of my opponents
- Motherboard is Asus Ranger VII Z97, The reason I want a soundcard, additional to the reason above, is because I get some interference through my motherboard audio :(

You say beast then followup with Zx and Phoebus?! *ZxR and Phoebus would be the proper high-end, and whatever ASUS's current new STRIX lineup offers, the DLX Raid or something of that sort. But really, why buy the 363D if you don't plan to run through USB, which would take an internal sound card out of the equation?

The Sennheiser G4ME One should be cheaper and also not come with that USB dongle.

Back to sound cards, honestly the standard Z should be more than fine for the Sennies and should be had for under 100..

MSI Z97M Gaming | i7-4790k | NZXT Kraken X61 | 16GB Kingston Savage DDR3 2400
EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3 | EVGA G2 750 | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv | 1TB 850 Evo | 2TB 860 Evo | 22TB DS918+

Scarlett 2i2 | WooAudio WA7 Fireflies | Fostex TR-X00 | Beyer DT990 | MrSpeaker Alpha Dog | V-Moda M-100 | JBL LSR305 MK2

Recently i got myself Asus Xonar Phoebus just for better audio on stereo (i do not care much about surround). I`m running Asus Z170 pro gaming MB with perfectly fine Fupreme FX onboard audio.

So now: everybody saying that there is no difference, it`s all placebo and so on, just never f**** heard good audio on quality headphones or stereo setup. Reasons behind Phoebus (its the best that fitted in my budget): I never aver had any issues with noise floor or volume levels, even on headphones, my problem was that sound was not clear enough on complex samples (harpsichord, orchestral works, melodic death metal or engine sound in dirt rally). The difference i got was substantial! : The base output on speakers or headphones did not change much (just a fraction punchier, but my speakers doesn't shine in base department), bur midrange became much fuller and much better controlled, vocals in opera arias became a nirvana!, highs  - better articulate, better distinguishable from other spectrum with better stereo separation. Trust me, it`s all true, the difference is very apparent.

The only thing i MUST say, to hear the difference you must have headphones on stereo setup that can resolve with high accuracy, Setups with rolled off highs (like cheap or gaming oriented headphones), 2.1 gaming speakers (even Logitech Z623) gives ABSOLUTELY "0" difference, than there is no sense to make a purchase and waste money on sound card - even STX 2 will not provide any benefits. But if you rocking a beginners stereo (like mine Pioneer A-307R with couple Pioneer CS-5070, or preferably better) or quality headphones like DT 990 pro, such an upgrade is a MUST. 5-10 seconds running a new Phoebus Solo will be enough for your jaw to drop out in fallout.

PS: I`m glad that i did not get myself an STX2, not because it`s not better, IT IS, just my other equipment would not make any justice to the Asus masterpiece.

And can not say anything about Creative Zx - never had one...