HD558's vs ATH M50

Air tree

Well i'm looking to pick up a pair of headphones in like a week or two and i was wondering for all around sound would you go for the 558's or the m50's?

Both have amazing reviews from everyone and i'm really torn. They both have a very close price 10-20 dollars difference. and from what you have seen what would you get?

558's, the M50's used to be good when they were closer to the $100 mark, now they're too expensive. 

I think the M50 gets a little too much credit. They are a good headphone for your first entry into audiophile land.

Also take a look at the AD700X, they are what I recommend in that price point.

558's, the M50's used to be good when they were closer to the $100 mark, now they're too expensive. 

I think the M50 gets a little too much credit. They are a good headphone for your first entry into audiophile land.

Also take a look at the AD700X, they are what I recommend in that price point.

How are open ear headphones? I have never had a pair of high quality headphones before so it's all quite new to me, i do slightly like to drown out the people in my house.

How are open ear headphones? I have never had a pair of high quality headphones before so it's all quite new to me.

HD558 -> Open, sound is more "surround" per se, you'll be able to hear things behind, in front of you as it allows air to circulate freely. It also leaks sound.

M50s -> Closed, direct opposite. Only left and right separation, but sound does not leak in or out. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

You will hear everything with open ear headphones. It comes with pros and cons. You get that wider soundstage than closed, but you can hear everything around you. Think of open ear headphones as like listening to speakers on your ears. Honestly not a huge con, considering great the sound is for the HD558s. It's great overall headphones (music/movies/games). Awesome in games needing situational awareness.

I own both M50s and HD558s and I wear HD558s waaay more. Mainly the sound signature isn't fatiguing and the comfort/clamping is almost like it's not on my head. But, M50s do have some pros that come with being a closed headphone; they have much better bass response (especially low freq) that open headphones can't really obtain. The sound is good for closed as well, but the soundstange is smaller than the HD558s.

Up to you really and your preferences.

With my HD 650's, I still can't hear people trying to talk to me even though they're open. Also, just because a headphone is closed, that doesn't mean it's sound isolating.

As long as you don't have three year olds running around the house, closed vs open shouldn't be a big deal, but if you do, you might want to specifically look for isolating headphones.

some songs I can do an accompaniment with hand claps and finger snaps or even join in the vocals. 

it doesn't work so well with my closed cans though

well... nothing ends well when I attempt to accompany vocals. 

HD 558 if comfort is a must for you, great all-around headphones for music. 

ATH-M50 if you worry about sound leakage, great headphones for rock and metal. Not very comfortable.

If you can spare $60 more, I highly recommend going for the HD 598. The comfort and sound quality are stellar.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

open are just amazing IMO, when you listen to music it gives you a feeling of actually being part of the music, almost as if you're on stage listening to a concert, if you really enjoy music + FPS games I think the open ones will be great

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

The M50's used to be a great deal. I got mine for 99 dollars. When it comes to sound quality they where untouchable at that price but if we are talking over 150 bucks I'd start putting some more weight into the fact that they are not the most comfortable headphones out there. Build quality is great but they are still made out of plastic. They can sure take a beating though .I've dropped mine several times with no scuffs as evidence of this.

If you don't plan on using the headphones like 15 hours a day I would go with the M50s. And you can find a good sale on them just get them. You won't regret it