Ripping my Win. 10 Key to Install on SSD?

theguynamedwill

Greetings, my fellow TechTipers :D

A few months ago, I purchased a HyperX 120GB SSD to be used as a boot-drive in place of my 2TB Seagate HDD that I'm currently using as a boot-drive at this time. 

At time of purchase, I was unaware that I needed to separately purchase a software suite for the SSD itself if it were to be used as a boot-drive. So, I just plugged it into my PC regardless, and am currently using it as a secondary drive for Steam and a few Adobe programs. 

I've recently heard from a buddy of mine that it is, in-fact, possible to rip your current windows key, if needed, so that I wouldn't have to purchase a second Windows OS. 

Also, this key was originally installed on a pre-built machine from Costco.I just snagged the free Windows 10 update from a few months back. 

So, my main question(s): 

How would I go about ripping my current Windows 10 OS key off of my HDD so that I may use it to install my current OS unto my SSD, so that I may use my current HDD as a secondary drive? 

Additional question(s): 

Would it just be simpler to purchase an additional Windows OS to spare myself the trouble of ripping my current Windows OS? 

Would I require an additional USB to keep the OS on to boot the OS to the SSD after transfer from HDD? 

How do you even install an OS? Through the BIOS, I presume? 

PC specifications may be provided upon your request.

Any helpful replies will be immensely appreciated. 

Thank You for Your Time, 

-Will. 

Thanks for reading! 

The key is attached to the motherboard and not the drive. You can use the same key.

You can try Macrium Reflect for cloning your data to your ssd. 

Moved to OS & Software. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Greetings, my fellow TechTipers :D

A few months ago, I purchased a HyperX 120GB SSD to be used as a boot-drive in place of my 2TB Seagate HDD that I'm currently using as a boot-drive at this time. 

At time of purchase, I was unaware that I needed to separately purchase a software suite for the SSD itself if it were to be used as a boot-drive. So, I just plugged it into my PC regardless, and am currently using it as a secondary drive for Steam and a few Adobe programs. 

I've recently heard from a buddy of mine that it is, in-fact, possible to rip your current windows key, if needed, so that I wouldn't have to purchase a second Windows OS. 

Also, this key was originally installed on a pre-built machine from Costco.I just snagged the free Windows 10 update from a few months back. 

So, my main question(s): 

How would I go about ripping my current Windows 10 OS key off of my HDD so that I may use it to install my current OS unto my SSD, so that I may use my current HDD as a secondary drive? 

Additional question(s): 

Would it just be simpler to purchase an additional Windows OS to spare myself the trouble of ripping my current Windows OS? 

Would I require an additional USB to keep the OS on to boot the OS to the SSD after transfer from HDD? 

PC specifications may be provided upon your request.

Any helpful replies will be immensely appreciated. 

Thank You for Your Time, 

-Will. 

From my experience it would be easier to just purchase a new CD key. Although when I installed on my SSD I just installed using the Upgrade / Install media disk I made using the tool on the Microsoft website. It asks you to activate every now and again but it never forces me too or limits my usage. 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

I find it easier to do a clean install. Give me an excuse fresh up my system and get rid of anything I don't need. Or just clone it. The "key" is attached to your motherboard so any drive using that version of Windows will be able to use it.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

OEM key is attached to motherboard and even then I believe you actually can transfer them to a different computer with diff mobo, but it's just a bit annoying. I saw a guide like a week ago when I was looking into full retail vs oem etc, but I don't think I got around to reading the actual article.

If you're just transferring your windows install from hard drive to hard drive there is no issue. Windows key is usually somewhere on the pc case, usually the bottom. If not there are ways to rip it.

You don't even need a key any longer.

Just download the Windows 10 installer, and use it to create a bootable installer.

Then swap the drives around (AFTER backing up what you have on the SSD)

Then clean install Windows 10 to the SSD.

Since you are not changing the board, you should be able to use it, since MS should already have your board registered as a valid Win10 "owner."

If all else fails, a call to MS Support will get it sorted out. They really don't fight you, as long as you have some proof you owned a copy of Windows that was eligible for the upgrade, and they can compare your key to what they have on file.

~Cynical~