Failed Overclock led to BIOS not responding, and therefore unable to fix via software

Go to solution Solved by Quincy15,

Clear the CMOS, try turning it on then

I have a Pentium g3258 CPU, an MSI Z97M motherboard and a Corsair CX430 PSU.

I have been running for months on 4.0 GHz fine, but after viewing Linus's tutorial on overclocking (here

) I hoped to get some more power out of it.

...Unfortunately, I do not know my way around the MSI BIOS, and apparently do not know enough about overclocking. As a test, I turned the voltage up to 1.35V and kept the CPU at 4.0 GHz. Windows booted and ran fine. Then, I got excited and jumped right up to 4.5 GHz to test it out. I didn't expect this problem to occur.

First, Windows would not boot at all. I immediately encountered a blue screen of death and it automatically restarted. The problem is that when in I the BIOS setup, it works fine for a few seconds, but then it freezes and does not respond to any input from the keyboard or mouse. The CPI/MoBo temp monitors continued updating, though.

I tried several times to rush going into the BIOS, reducing the core multiplier from 45 down to 40, then exiting and restarting - but it froze far too early each time for me to manage it.

Does this mean the CPU is broken? Or is there still hope? Is there a way to restart the BIOS by the hardware?

I don't want to search this on Google because this vital for me that I fix my computer, and getting feedback from someone who does know their stuff and knows *exactly* my problem is the best thing.

Thank you so much in advance.

there should be a reset button or pins on your mobo.. if not just take out the battery and wait for a bit....

Try a CMOS restart.There should be a jumper located somewhere on your MOBO for that reason,folow the instruction on your manual.If tjis doesnt work,try taking out the CMOS Battery for like 5 mins,then placing it on again.Make sure the PSU is turned OFF.

Shark Rampage V: AMD FX-4350 @ 4.5GHz(1.404 Volts) / Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte 750Ti (1405MHz Core,3200MHz Memory @ stock voltage) / Kington HyperX Fury 8 Gigs 1866MHz Dual channel / ASUS M5A97 R2.0 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM / 850Evo 250GB / XFX TS 550w 80+ Bronze Sharkoon VG4-W