Overclocking

Rhett Quigley

Should I increase the power limit before overclocking?

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

NO! Try to increase your clock speed first, then increase voltage as needed. Refer to one of Linus's overclocking guides for instructions on how to properly overclock.

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

NO! Try to increase your clock speed first, then increase voltage as needed. Refer to one of Linus's overclocking guides for instructions on how to properly overclock.

I was talking about the power limit.

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

I was talking about the power limit.

If you allow too much power (voltage) to travel through your CPU, you could cause premature death or stability issues. Increase the clock speed, then the voltage as needed. So you want to keep the maximum amount of power (power limit) as low as possible to avoid these issues, increased power usage and unnecessary heat output.

If you allow too much power (voltage) to travel through your CPU, you could cause premature death or stability issues. Increase the clock speed, then the voltage as needed.

Do you think 1.31 Volts is too much for a 4.6 Ghz on a i7-6700K?

I have a watercooler so heat isn't an issue. BTW this oc is stable just wanted to know if it can go any lower.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

If you allow too much power (voltage) to travel through your CPU, you could cause premature death or stability issues. Increase the clock speed, then the voltage as needed. So you want to keep the maximum amount of power (power limit) as low as possible to avoid these issues, increased power usage and unnecessary heat output.

Wait, power limit (percentage) is a different slider than voltage.

Wait, power limit (percentage) is a different slider than voltage.

Increase both accordingly. You CAN increase the limit above the voltage, then when you're in the final steps of dialing in the overclock, bring down the power limit until you reach the voltage.

Do you think 1.31 Volts is too much for a 4.6 Ghz on a i7-6700K?

I have a watercooler so heat isn't an issue. BTW this oc is stable just wanted to know if it can go any lower.

Silicon lottery. No one will know but you. Use AIDA64 (the demo version is fine) to run an elongated stress test (1 hr or more). Then gradually lower the voltage and run another stress test. Continue to lower the voltage and run stress tests until you can see your core speed start to drop (use CPU-Z). It's best to have the lowest possible voltage. Higher voltages mean more electricity and more heat. This can cause premature death in your components. Additionally, lower voltages will help you maintain peak efficiency of wall power (thus lowering your electricity bill by a minuscule amount) and will kick less heat into the room.

Should I increase the power limit before overclocking?

You shouldn't have to touch any of those in the BIOS, leave them on AUTO.

Only things you need to mess with are multiplier, and vcore voltage.  Perhaps VCCIN voltage, but most likely you can leave that one alone.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Increase both accordingly. You CAN increase the limit above the voltage, then when you're in the final steps of dialing in the overclock, bring down the power limit until you reach the voltage.

Ok , just to be sure, ONLY increase the core clock at first?

I am talking about gpus.

Ok , just to be sure, ONLY increase the core clock at first?

Yes

Silicon lottery. No one will know but you. Use AIDA64 (the demo version is fine) to run an elongated stress test (1 hr or more). Then gradually lower the voltage and run another stress test. Continue to lower the voltage and run stress tests until you can see your core speed start to drop (use CPU-Z).

Ok, but is there a way to make it not a constant voltage to the CPU? I want it so if I am playing a graphically intensive game for it to ramp up the voltage to enough for it to run @ 4.6 ghz

I am assuming that it automatically does this because in CPU-Z the VID goes up and down and when I am in a stress test it stays at 1.31 volts.

But for now I will do as you said.

Spoiler

I am talking about gpus.

Considering this was posted in the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section, you'd understand why people would think otherwise.

Moved to Graphics Cards--please post in the correct subforum in the future.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am talking about gpus.

Then MSI Afterburner is your friend

Spoiler

Considering this was posted in the CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory section, you'd understand why people would think otherwise.

Moved to Graphics Cards--please post in the correct subforum in the future.

Oops, sorry.