[Review] LG 24GM77 144hz Monitor

iamdarkyoshi

Today I will be reviewing the monitors I bought off of Massdrop. I bought three of them. I will use @Dan Castellaneta's favorite patented 52 scoring system.

post-128204-0-16058300-1451163408.jpg

Color: 29.5/52

The color out of the box is okay for my fairly low standards. I do not do editing on these monitors, so color reproduction is not a critical attribute. They are TN panels which is to be expected for their fairly low cost. I used my usual settings I use on monitors which is each color (R/G/B) set to 100, contrast set to 50, brightness (backlighting) to 100, and any image enhancers turned OFF.

Image quality: 43.3/52

They are 1080p panels, nothing super special by today's means. But that OH SO SMOOTH 144HZ IS AMAZING. The black levels are pretty bad, which is to be expected with cheap TN panels. I do notice some scrolling lines on the screen, probably need to tweak settings.

Viewing angles: 25/52

They have these nice stands to go into portrait mode, but the damn viewing angles make it horrible to look at. They are fine when used landscape though.

Build quality and design: 3.14/52

I could go on and on. But here are my main complaints: Glossy plastic. Just WHY??? The nonremovable ballsack hanging off of each monitor looks dumb. It makes the landscape mode even more useless, as you cannot make each monitor line up with the next. The bezels are quite thick, once I am satisfied that they are going to work properly and not take a shit all over the place, I will debezel them. I had a dead pixel on one of them, which explains my member title. Thanks Massdrop for not only offering to replace it for me, but giving me a prepaid shipping label! 

Stands: 48/52

I like the stands. They can tilt, swivel, adjust height, and rotate in place. They are a LITTLE wobbly compared to my old Syncmaster 204B monitors (best damn TN panel I have ever used) but they certainly beat the pants off of many acer monitors. Why are they missing 4 points? For using glossy plastic...

I/O: 52/52

Perfectly nailed it here. Two HDMI, a useless VGA for troubleshooting old PCs, dual link DVI, Displayport, and it has a USB 3.0 hub and headphones output. All cables are included except for Displayport, and I had a Displayport cable sitting around, so I just used that for the third monitor that I sent back for replacement.

Interface: 30/52

The interface is pretty nice. I have absolutely NO USE for the 5 buttons on the front though! Underneath those buttons is a joystick with middle click to select. I can very quickly navigate the menus from this joystick alone. I would have liked to see the joystick and buttons on the back or front instead, so they are not in the way.

Result? 29.1342857/52

The overall score is a little low, and I blame glossy plastic or donald trump. I do like them though, they are an improvement over my previous monitor. They will most likely be back up on massdrop for those who want one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-24gm77-b-full-hd-led-gaming-monitor

Neato.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I got you covered

@JoeyDM

nit8Qhf.jpg

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

or donald trump. I do like them though, they are an improvement over my previous monitor. They will most likely be back up on massdrop for those who want one: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/lg-24gm77-b-full-hd-led-gaming-monitor

Thanks Obama

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Nice

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),