Single Channel versus Dual Channel

mougi

I am in the process of a really tight budget, simple build. I have a choice between 2x2 Gb DDR3 dimms or a 4Gb DDR3 dimm. The latter choice is slightly less expensive. The system itself is an AMD based system with a  athlon dual core. So would I see any noticeable improvement in running of basic programs and some games

Dual channel is usually better as the motherboard natively supports it. However you can still use single channel memory but the performance will be less than the dual channel RAM.

I see you have only dual core athlon. Better get dual channel, because you cant play much games+OS that require more than 4gigs anyway, so future upgrades are out of question. 

Dual channel is usually better as the motherboard natively supports it. However you can still use single channel memory but the performance will be less than the dual channel RAM.

But where would you see that performance increase/drop ?

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

You could go with single channel if you don't have money to buy dual channel because the difference is very minimal imo: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1705-11.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

You won't be able to tell the difference between running in single and dual channel mode.

Basically, get whichever is cheaper.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.