Choices to make for computer upgrades/improvements.

Dynamistic

Hello everyone,

Its been around 5-6 years since I bought my computer (Incredible how much time has flown by) and Ive been starting to notice a problem with my system. I cannot exactly pin point what the problem is yet, but I have a very good guess as to what it might be. What happens now since a few weeks ago is all of a sudden during extensive usage on the system my computer would after 5-10 minutes, maybe more, turn off instantly as if the power went out and would take another 5-10 minutes to start working again. I thought at first this was my CPU so I dialed back my overclocks, that worked but it still died out after a longer period of time. So I went to default clock speeds and it “seems” to have solved the issue but I highly doubt it because running CS GO or something intensive like black desert I still noticed crashing at some point. In other words, it is unreliable now to the point where I realize something needs to change. I am quite sure its my CPU dying to old age (overclocked the hell out of it) but im also wondering if it might be the power supply instead. Either that or MAYBE even the GPU? What do you guys think could be the issue here?

Moreover I need to make replacements, I know that very well. This machine has been running like a horse for all these years but I think its time for some upgrades. Im debating whether or not I should buy the Intel i7 LGA 1366 990x extreme edition off ebay Or get one of the new architecture boards/cpu (more expensive and would have to get rid of my already great components). I need power for the next 6 or so years and Im guessing this extreme edition will give me all I need for the future. 

• CPU Intel Core i7 930 @ 4.2 GHZ
  • Motherboard Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
  • RAM Corsair dominator memory kit 6 GB 1600 HMZ
  • GPU MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
  • Case CM 690 II Advanced
  • Storage 2X Western Digital Black 1TB raid 0 + adata 128 gb SSD (boot)
  • PSU Silverstone strider plus 1000W (SST-ST1000-P)
  • Cooling Corsair H70

I am guessing the PSU is bad in your system. This is often the symptom of a dying PSU in a computer.

Thank you for the quick response! How sure are you that it is the powersupply and not the CPU? Id like to know cause that will seem to be just another addition to my budget :/. I bought this powersupply to hope for it to last for much longer :(

Try and really thermal paste on the cpu cooler and see if that makes a difference. 

Try and really thermal paste on the cpu cooler and see if that makes a difference. 

We'll first of all the PSU is almost always the first thing to fail in a build (after all it has to take the grainy 120v AC input and turn that into clean 12v rails). Second of all I have seen something like this happen personally. I was swapping out the PSU for a client because she said her computer was "randomly shutting off" and it started working again. My guess is the computer is shutting off because the system is pulling more power than the PSU can supply and when the PSU cannot supply the required power, the system simply shuts down.

I know it cant be do to power restrictions since its been running solid for this many years on serious overclocks and multiple gpus at a time. 1000W is quite a lot and I doubt my components are capping that. I wish I could actually know but Im guessing its around 800 at max but Im pretty sure its lower than that. I will look into the PSU and let you know.

As for the upgrades, would buying an i7 990x off ebay (good one ofc) be better than upgrading to the new architecture for the same price of a motherboard + cpu ($500 max). On a tight budget with that one so Im hoping the 990x will have better value and performance seeing as the price has dropped considerably over the years since its discontinued.

Can you check with any other PSUs if you have one or borrow it from a friend?

As for the upgrades, would buying an i7 990x off ebay (good one ofc) be better than upgrading to the new architecture for the same price of a motherboard + cpu ($500 max). On a tight budget with that one so Im hoping the 990x will have better value and performance seeing as the price has dropped considerably over the years since its discontinued.

Upgrading to a new architecture can be a huge difference in the whole system. It can give much better performance than 1st gen Intel processors.

But first, make sure it's the PSU is making the problem or not.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

But for $500 budget, you can get a new ultimate CPU upgrade. X99 build will be around $550 and it can smash the performance of 990x anytime.

It's a 6 core processor with DDR4 memory.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $541.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 05:36 EST-0500

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

But for $500 budget, you can get a new ultimate CPU upgrade. X99 build will be around $550 and it can smash the performance of 990x anytime.

It's a 6 core processor with DDR4 memory.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($319.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Krait ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($183.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $541.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-27 05:36 EST-0500

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom, You guys have all helped me so much thank you all. I will have some results in the next few days, thanks again :)

Moved to New Builds and Planning.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch