Frankie's modded Air 540 Build

On 7 July 2016 at 5:26 PM, Frankie said:

It really is. :D Yeah... I might or might not have some materials hoarded in our garage... :D

Do it! It really cleaned up the look of the case. :) So time for a new SSD ? :P 

Bit OCD ? You have no idea. :D I just can't help myself, I'm stuck in my perfectionist ways. Not saying everything is perfect about my build, but you know... :) Thanks again dudski. :) You're pretty much my no.1 commentator :D 

Hahah I like how you think ;) 

Lol makes for a damn clean build :P no worries hah! Your build is more interesting then most. - sure it's interesting seeing "real" preforessionals work with all of their tools and machines and whatnot. But I much prefer seeing this kind of build, with more grounded ideas a bit of craftiness and some care. To give great results all the same. Ya know? :P 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

3 hours ago, Nup said:

Hahah I like how you think ;) 

Lol makes for a damn clean build :P no worries hah! Your build is more interesting then most. - sure it's interesting seeing "real" preforessionals work with all of their tools and machines and whatnot. But I much prefer seeing this kind of build, with more grounded ideas a bit of craftiness and some care. To give great results all the same. Ya know? :P 

Same ;):D

That's one of the positives. Thanks. :D I feel you, I feel you. I like some of the ultra modded builds. Personally I'm going for a clean build that looks pretty sitting on my table without being over the top. :) Oh I know, it's amazing what some people can come up with. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1 hour ago, othertomperson said:

Would have gone with an MSI Armor GPU in such a staunch black and white theme, but whatever. Still looks good :)

Yeah, but as far as AMD GPUs go, Sapphire is pretty much best of the best. Gotta make compromises somewhere. :) Thanks man. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

nice thread you have here!

please don't mind me if i get some ideas from your build log. :D

8 hours ago, shzero said:

nice thread you have here!

please don't mind me if i get some ideas from your build log. :D

Thank you! 

Sure thing. That's why I mentioned it, fellow Air 540 owner. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

• 5 months later...

LXXmGz4.png

Heyo people.

At December 27th it was a year with my build, man time flies. Anyway, I decided to buy another 8gb kit of RAM, sadly Kingston stopped making white Hyperx Fury RAM in white with DDR4 lineup so sadly no mixed white/black RAM. Another item was AKASAs Vegas LED strip and me being me decided to immediately mod it and add on/off switch. :D

- Supplies for the mod

LQRlo37.jpg

- This LED strip had really short cables so I would have to mod it no matter what to have clean cable management.

xrDFzXM.jpg

- Started soldering multiple joints, measuring cable length needed etc. So that was fun for well over couple of minutes. :D

c3MydVk.jpg

- Finished product. Ground goes from the strip all the way to the connector in one piece and the 12v wire has the connectors for the switch, you'll see. Btw this was my first time using heat-shrink and it just might be my new favorite thing. It's just amazing compared to fiddling with electrical tape. :D

8AT1Tez.jpg

- Switch was hidden at the back of the case. No Dremel needed, just snipped the honeycomb with wire cutters and pushed the switch in. :)

XCSNg09.jpg

- All hooked up and tested with spare old PSU, just to be sure. Everything went A-okay. :)

8k1hezZ.jpg

- I'm a stickler for detail, so I really didn't want any wires showing if possible, which I accomplished pretty well. So I'm happy. :)

vsRZ3eU.jpg

And the grand finale. My camera didn't want to cooperate much, it looks much more evenly spread in person. I'm thinking about maybe just lightly sanding the strip with something like a 600 grit, to get rid of the sorta points of light on the plexi side panel. Every LED strip does that and it kinda upsets my perfectionism. :D

Wry2S3o.jpg

fIDvgKh.jpg

I would like to get custom cable extensions, but that costs a fair amount. Sponsorship would be nice, but I don't think my build log is big enough to achieve that. :) Also fan hub, to get rid of the fan cables in the front. Other than that, we'll see if I come up with something else. :D 

Thanks for reading peeps! :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

On 18/01/2017 at 1:00 AM, Frankie said:

LXXmGz4.png

-schnip- 

Man your attention to detail is a pleasure. Nice to see it. Love the switch mod. Iv always wanted to mod in a switch like that (or the fire button style ones) as an on off switch. 

Build is looking classy! Also what fan solution are you thinking of? Is the mobo's one not idea of just for cabling? 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 hour ago, Nup said:

Man your attention to detail is a pleasure. Nice to see it. Love the switch mod. Iv always wanted to mod in a switch like that (or the fire button style ones) as an on off switch. 

Build is looking classy! Also what fan solution are you thinking of? Is the mobo's one not idea of just for cabling? 

Thank you for the kind words. :) Go for it, ask me for help if need be! I wanted one of those anti-vandal switches because they look sexy, but finding one in a on/off configuration was kinda hard, most of them are momentary. So in the end I choose this simple one, same thing as on PSU.

Thanks again! I'm thinking something like simple ModMyToys fan hub, JayzTwoCents uses those in Skunkworks. The headers on the mobo are fine, I have the AF120s on the supplied extention with resistor to slow them down, they are just bulky and not really pretty to look at, cable management thing really. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler