Watercooling loop cleaning, how do I do it properly?

XzzDSA

Heyo o/

So I've had my first custom water-cooling loop going for just over a year now I think.

And it's just about time I change it.

I'm going from a full sized atx motherboard in a silverstone TJ-11 to a much smaller and more practical build with an m-atx in a Corsair Carbide Air 240.

As I'm doing this switch, I'm changing my radiator from a quad to a dual-rad. This means disassembling my loop completely. I'm also going from one type of coolant (Feser one coolant RED) to another red coolant (EK Ekoolant EVO, BLOOD RED). 

So here's my actual question and what I'd actually want some advice on.
How am I supposed to go about this? How do I properly clean my loop without damaging or leaving residue inside of my components?

Running an EK D5 pump
quad rad 45mm

ek gtx 980 acetal block

ek supermacy EVO ACETAL CPU block

Tubing is primochill primoflex LRT crystal clear.

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Drain the loop as dry as you can.

Get a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water (doesn't have to be anything special for cleaning), fill the loop back up with it and run it for 12 hours (use a psu shorter).

Drain it out and refill again with distilled water, run it again for 12 hours.

Drain it again and disassemble the loop to move case.

When you rebuild it just fill it as normal and you should be ok.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Heyo o/

So I've had my first custom water-cooling loop going for just over a year now I think.

And it's just about time I change it.

I'm going from a full sized atx motherboard in a silverstone TJ-11 to a much smaller and more practical build with an m-atx in a Corsair Carbide Air 240.

As I'm doing this switch, I'm changing my radiator from a quad to a dual-rad. This means disassembling my loop completely. I'm also going from one type of coolant (Feser one coolant RED) to another red coolant (EK Ekoolant EVO, BLOOD RED). 

So here's my actual question and what I'd actually want some advice on.

How am I supposed to go about this? How do I properly clean my loop without damaging or leaving residue inside of my components?

Running an EK D5 pump

quad rad 45mm

ek gtx 980 acetal block

ek supermacy EVO ACETAL CPU block

Tubing is primochill primoflex LRT crystal clear.

The problem with using vinegar to clean your loop is you need to make sure that it is actually free of the acid it will leave behind. If you want to clean your loop properly then I'd suggest the following.

1. Drain your loop
  2. Remove the loop from your case
  3. Disassemble blocks and clean (don't use acid on Nickel plated parts)
  4. Use water and vinegar in your rad, shake it and drain then flush the rad for a good while (if you can test the pH level with test strips)
  5. Check pump is clean, usually it will be fine
  6. Reassemble and leak test, Always leak test...

This is how you do it "properly".

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

The problem with using vinegar to clean your loop is you need to make sure that it is actually free of the acid it will leave behind. If you want to clean your loop properly then I'd suggest the following.

1. Drain your loop
  4. Use water and vinegar in your rad, shake it and drain then flush the rad for a good while (if you can test the pH level with test strips)

Good guide,

yep that´s how it´s done properly.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

1. Drain your loop

Where do you get ph-strips? never really thought of using those outside of my chemistry classes :P

And with the distilled water. You just buy a liter or two, fill the loop and run it?

And I actually do believe my blocks are nickel plated..... So what would you then use to clean them with.

- Cool right?

Where do you get ph-strips? never really thought of using those outside of my chemistry classes :P

And with the distilled water. You just buy a liter or two, fill the loop and run it?

And I actually do believe my blocks are nickel plated..... So what would you then use to clean them with.

EK says to clean nickel blocks with hot soapy water, if the plating needs heavier cleaning then you need to use a NON ABRASIVE polish. You can get pH strips from online retailers like amazon. Distilled to flush the rads? I would flush with tap water until pH neutral then rinse out the rads with distilled to remove impurities from the tap water used previously. I know this sounds very complex but I've not had any growths or crap in my loop, I don't use vinegar just a lot of tap water (too much) and distilled. I have a 5 litre tub of De-Ionized water around me at all time when I have my rig up and working, distilled is hard to get in the UK.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

EK says to clean nickel blocks with hot soapy water, if the plating needs heavier cleaning then you need to use a NON ABRASIVE polish. You can get pH strips from online retailers like amazon. Distilled to flush the rads? I would flush with tap water until pH neutral then rinse out the rads with distilled to remove impurities from the tap water used previously. I know this sounds very complex but I've not had any growths or crap in my loop, I don't use vinegar just a lot of tap water (too much) and distilled. I have a 5 litre tub of De-Ionized water around me at all time when I have my rig up and working, distilled is hard to get in the UK.

Will de-mineralised water be good enough? Else I'd proberly have to buy distilled water as coolant, just to flush?

And do I need to do anything with my pump? I guess it kind of gets the same treatment as the radiator as I use it to flush the rad?

- Cool right?

Will de-mineralised water be good enough? Else I'd proberly have to buy distilled water as coolant, just to flush?

And do I need to do anything with my pump? I guess it kind of gets the same treatment as the radiator as I use it to flush the rad?

It's recommended to use Distilled above all else so I'd advise the same, can't remember why de-mineral water isn't recommended but I'd just use distilled or de-ionized water.

Depends, you'll need to inspect the pump in order to asses the level of cleaning required. If it looks spotless then a quick rinse with distilled water will be enough, if it has residue a light scrub with some distilled and a toothbrush will remove stubborn blemishes.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

demineralized is de-ionized. Distilled water is basicly cooked water. Does the same thing except distilled is as close to sterile as it gets to my understanding.
Trouble with distilled water is, it is hard to come by and it's expensive, might be worth the trouble though I don't know.

But I guess I could just go and buy 2 liters of distilled water from pc water-cooling suppliers.

- Cool right?

demineralized is de-ionized. Distilled water is basicly cooked water. Does the same thing except distilled is as close to sterile as it gets to my understanding.

Trouble with distilled water is, it is hard to come by and it's expensive, might be worth the trouble though I don't know.

But I guess I could just go and buy 2 liters of distilled water from pc water-cooling suppliers.

In the US, distilled water is 80 cents (.80 dollars) per gallon.  I have no idea why it seems to be so expensive everywhere else.  The strategy I recommend is filling up a bathtub with hot water, and use a submersible fountain pump (hardware stores will sell these for $20) to open-circulate bath water through your loop.  Then to rinse, fill a 5 gallon bucket up with distilled water, submerge the pump in that, then let it run through the loop and shoot out into the bathtub drain.

Alternatively if you have less water to work with, putting the radiator on the ground flat and using a large syringe (the kind meant for marinating meats) you can repeatedly fill up the rad, shake it around a bit, then turn it upside down to drain it.  To wash waterblocks, use tap water and then splash some distilled water on them to rinse.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I think i 'screwed up'.

I am using a d5 pump from ekwb and I want to flush my loop with it. BUT I only have one PSU availible atm. And I want to use that for my pc if at all possible. 

Is there another way to run my D5 pump? Or do I have to just use the PSU that I've got?.

- Cool right?

I think i 'screwed up'.

I am using a d5 pump from ekwb and I want to flush my loop with it. BUT I only have one PSU availible atm. And I want to use that for my pc if at all possible. 

Is there another way to run my D5 pump? Or do I have to just use the PSU that I've got?.

I don't understand why you're making things so difficult for yourself. Just use the directions I gave you earlier on and save yourself from doing something twice... Even if you skip the pH test strips your loop will be clean and you won't need to worry about crap being in your loop.

Hell I even just used tap water to clean my rads the first time and by block's channels are clear of flux. You don't need to hook your D5 up to the PSU to run water through the system for hours it takes like 10mins of shaking the rad with tap water, the blocks, clean by hand, if there is crap in your loop, running a d5 to flush it won't get it out it will just get the crap stuck in the blocks, the very thing you're trying to avoid...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Alright then. Good point. Gonna do this tomorrow and get my system up and running with my watercooling.

- Cool right?