New Motherboard

So, today I installed the ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger along with the i7-6700K. Little did I know that I have to reinstall the operating system for my rig to work again. I was wondering which of the following options would be better?

- Buy an SSD and re-install the OS on to that (if it's possible)

- Backup all files from current HDD and do a complete clean reinstall then transfer the files back from the backup on to the HDD

Other suggestions are also appreciated,

**(Also posted in Operating Systems topic)**

So, today I installed the ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger along with the i7-6700K. Little did I know that I have to reinstall the operating system for my rig to work again. I was wondering which of the following options would be better?

- Backup all files from current HDD and do a complete clean reinstall then transfer the files back from the backup on to the HDD

If you don´t have an SSD yet, now it´s the time. Have a look into the Samsung M.2 950 PRO. It is an absolute beast of a storage.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

If you don´t have an SSD yet, now it´s the time. Have a look into the Samsung M.2 950 PRO. It is an absolute beast of a storage.

Should I just use the SSD for the OS or should I use it for all of my files as well?

Should I just use the SSD for the OS or should I use it for all of my files as well?

Well it depends on what you are looking for but I use a Samsung 950PRO M.2 256GB for my OS and most important programs. The booting and read and write times are crazy. It felt like back in the day when I went from a HDD to SATA SSD the first time. What I can tell you because I have tested this is, when you have game installed on a slower HDD, you will almost certainly get stuttering due to crappy data transfer rate of the drive. Some people think, that their RAM, CPU or GPU is the problem, but it isn´t. I have tested this with a slow HDD a WD Green and the results were amazingly bad.

I use a Samsung 850 PRO (SATA III SSD) for games, and a WD Blue as cache for rendering and compressing and editing. The M.2 Samsung 512GB is a bit pricey right now and I had the 850 PRO already so 256GB were quite enough for me.

You can also just go with a SATA III SSD like a Samsung 850EVO 1TB and call it a day, and add a WD Blue 1 or 2 TB drive. The WD Blue will have no stuttering and is the perfect drive for music, pictures, videos and files. But 1TB SSD is plenty for OS and games.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Backup what you want to save onto something and buy an SSD, having an SSD will make the entire system snappier. You could opt for either a large SSD like a 1TB EVO or a smaller one that is a little faster, perhaps like a Hyper X Predator PCI-E or one of the M.2 ones like the  Samsung M.2 950 PRO and combine that with a WD Black 1-2TB for storage.