New Motherboard (Operating System Related)

BaileyF14

So, today I installed the ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger along with the i7-6700K. Little did I know that I have to reinstall the operating system for my rig to work again. I was wondering which of the following options would be better?

- Buy an SSD and re-install the OS on to that (if it's possible)

- Backup all files from current HDD and do a complete clean reinstall then transfer the files back from the backup on to the HDD

Other suggestions are also appreciated,

Both will be ok. Its really up to you. But if you got money to get SSD, go for it. Much better. You can't use any software which have files scattered around drive. They won't be able to find files as OS drive is automaticly named C:\. Games which use Origin or Steam you will be able to find from drive without having to DL again. Also you can map your music, videos and pictures again after new OS install.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Both will be ok. Its really up to you. But if you got money to get SSD, go for it. Much better. You can't use any software which have files scattered around drive. They won't be able to find files as OS drive is automaticly named C:\. Games which use Origin or Steam you will be able to find from drive without having to DL again. Also you can map your music, videos and pictures again after new OS install.

So would it be better to have my OS on the SSD and keep my files and games on the HDD or place everything on to the SSD?

So would it be better to have my OS on the SSD and keep my files and games on the HDD or place everything on to the SSD?

Thats your choise. Big SSDs for all your software and games are still bit expensive. If you got budget for it, 240+ or even 480+ SSD will be perfect for large software and games. I got small one just for OS and essential software + user config files. Needless to say that its too full to fit anything else.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv