Additional Drive Bays and Grommets (no accessories from manufacturer for case)

ServerGuy

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum to post this in (but since some MacGyvering may have to be done, it seems like the right place).

I am considering purchasing the Corsair Carbide 330R for my server build, since it is a "silent" case and looks modern (which is good, since it may well be stuck in my room). The main issue that I have is the fact that it only has 4(?) drive bays, but I will have at least 5 in my system (24TB backing storage and 120GB SSD), so I need an additional drive cage. Sadly, Corsair are being awkard and saying that the 300R additional drive bay kit is not compatible ("There are no provisions to add additional cages, nor are additional cages of from this case available", when I spoke to them about adding in another bay), yet I have seen on other sites (such as Scan) that people have purchased the 300R HDD Upgrade Kit and it does fit.

The other issue is regarding cable routing grommets. The 330R does not come with grommets by default, but many users on the Corsair forums do say that alternatives, such as the 300R grommets will fit (and again, the technicians doubting this).

I'm not sure if anyone here has attempted these, or knows anyone who has, since this is a make-or-break for me, since there are very few cases from retailers near me which are fairly inexpensive and silent.

Thanks very much for any help

well, since there are no moving parts in an SSD you can kinda slap it anywhere with something like double-sided tape. which is a very simple solution to the drive count problem.

Don't know about the grommets though.

but looking at it they have identical internals. so using the 300R grommets and HDD upgrade look like they should work.

that said the Fractal Design Define R5 (without window) would fix both problems. which retailers btw?

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Well... my SSD is currently stuck down using double-sided tape (and I do want this to look professional... not like my school's servers with cables and everything stuck anywhere).

if necessary, I'll have to sacrifice looks and silence and go with the Vengeance C70 case and buy the solid side panel... or fork out even more money and get the Master Case 5 (and then even more on an SSD mount and a drive cage or two). Hopefully this will man that I can add in at least 1 extra drive.