Intel Core i5 4690K or Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3

Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski0,

I have a Xeon E3-1231v3, and GTA V plays brilliantly on it. And yeah, when I disabled two cores and turned off HT to simulate a 3.8 GHz Pentium, GTA V was a nightmare of stuttering and constantly oscillating framerates at very high / ultra settings on my 970. I also have a G3258 that I got to 4.4 GHz, and the difference in gaming between the E3-1231v3 and an overclocked G3258 is complete night and day. It's an enormous upgrade.

I need to know which cpu would be better for playing GTA V on.

My pc specs right now are: 

Motherboard: Asus B85- Pro Gamer LGA1150

CPU: Intel G3258 @3.20Ghz

GPU: Asus 960 Strix Edition 2GB

RAM: 6GB DDR3

PSU: 450W

GTA is really laggy right now and it's my cpu's fault so I need to upgrade it to one of these: Intel Core i5 4690K or Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3

Which one do you suggest for best performance on GTA??? 

Also I will be upgrading really soon to 12GB of RAM for editing. 

1231 v3. That board is locked so you won't be needing a K CPU, and the Xeon is basically an i7 for the price of an i5.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Thanks everyone for the answers I was also going to go with the Xeon. Also I didnt know that my motherboard was locked so thanks for that as well. :)

Thanks everyone for the answers I was also going to go with the Xeon. Also I didnt know that my motherboard was locked so thanks for that as well. :)

the 1231 V3 because you have a locked MOBO

also upgrade your ram to 8 gb 

1231 v3. That board is locked so you won't be needing a K CPU, and the Xeon is basically an i7 for the price of an i5.

The board isn't locked. Asus enabled overclocking for Haswell-R CPUs on pretty much all boards quite a while back (for the launch of the G3258). 

It would just need a BIOS update to work properly. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-asus-b85-pro-gamer-motherboard-makes-affordable-gaming-diy-systems-possible/results-power-consumption-overclocking-conclusion-1

Even though it can overclock, the 1231 v3 is still a better option. The power delivery on the B85 boards isn't enough to really get much out of a K series CPU. 

The board isn't locked. Asus enabled overclocking for Haswell-R CPUs on pretty much all boards quite a while back (for the launch of the G3258). 

It would just need a BIOS update to work properly. http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-asus-b85-pro-gamer-motherboard-makes-affordable-gaming-diy-systems-possible/results-power-consumption-overclocking-conclusion-1

Even though it can overclock, the 1231 v3 is still a better option. The power delivery on the B85 boards isn't enough to really get much out of a K series CPU. 

Do you know how or where I can do a BIOS update or not? Should I do the update or not? 

If you're editing too, go for the 1231 v3. It's essentially a 4790 without an iGPU

how? it's not hyperthreaded

The Xeon 1231v3? Yes, it is. Most Xeons have HT.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

The Xeon 1231v3? Yes, it is. All Xeons have HT.

Not all Xeons have HT but that one does

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

not quiet that, they enabled overclocking on b85/h81/h87/h97 boards only for the sake of the pentium, and most of the times you could not even adjust the voltages correctly

Do you know how or where I can do a BIOS update or not? Should I do the update or not? 

look above

the xeon 1231 v3 is hyperthreaded, xeon 1220 series ,and lower, are not

The Xeon 1231v3? Yes, it is. All Xeons have HT

The site has changed....

The Xeon 1231v3? Yes, it is. All Xeons have HT.

oh, now i see

but i saw some xeons that doesn't have? or was the site saying false?

Not all Xeons have HT but that one does

oh, now i see

but i saw some xeons that doesn't have? or was the site saying false?

not quite that, the enabled overclocking on b85/h81/h87/h97 boards only for the sake of the pentium, and most of the times you could not even adjust the voltages correctly

look above

Post edited. Most, nearly all, are HyperThreaded.

not quiet that, the enabled overclocking on b85/h81/h87/h97 boards only for the sake of the pentium, and most of the times you could not even adjust the voltages correctly

look above

so, hyperthreaded Xeons are i7 without iGPU and overclocking?

so, hyperthreaded Xeons are i7 without iGPU and overclocking?

pretty much. they are build to last longer, since they are server grade, and they have support for ecc memory and some other server grade instructions

but some of them have igpus, like the 1245 v3. also not all i7 support oc, think the non k versions :P

The site has changed....

I have a Xeon E3-1231v3, and GTA V plays brilliantly on it. And yeah, when I disabled two cores and turned off HT to simulate a 3.8 GHz Pentium, GTA V was a nightmare of stuttering and constantly oscillating framerates at very high / ultra settings on my 970. I also have a G3258 that I got to 4.4 GHz, and the difference in gaming between the E3-1231v3 and an overclocked G3258 is complete night and day. It's an enormous upgrade.

Thanks for the test you did there with the gpu. I knew all along that it was my cpu's fault becasue of the 2 cores. Also when you say GTA is a nightmare when you are using 2 cores and decreased GHz does it not load chunks of the map and leave them blank and also lag a lot when you move the camera around? Because that is what is happening to me right now.

Thanks for the test you did there with the gpu. I knew all along that it was my cpu's fault becasue of the 2 cores. Also when you say GTA is a nightmare when you are using 2 cores and decreased GHz does it not load chunks of the map and leave them blank and also lag a lot when you move the camera around? Because that is what is happening to me right now.

I never had those problems with the map, my experience was just terrible framerates with drops into the 20s with two cores disabled, HT disabled, and running at the 3.8 GHz dualcore turbo. But the lag was terrible when spinning around in 3rd person (never tried it in first). Maybe it's better on the actual chip (I never played it on my real G3258), but I doubt it, especially since my simulated Pentium has 8MB L3 cache while my real one has 3MB.

I never had those problems with the map, my experience was just terrible framerates with drops into the 20s with two cores disabled, HT disabled, and running at the 3.8 GHz dualcore turbo. But the lag was terrible when spinning around in 3rd person (never tried it in first). Maybe it's better on the actual chip (I never played it on my real G3258), but I doubt it, especially since my simulated Pentium has 8MB L3 cache while my real one has 3MB.

It might not be that bad for you because your cpu was at 3.80GHz but mine was at 3.20GHz and has less cache than the xeon.

It doesnt matter though because I am going to get the xeon some time next year.