GTX 970 4GB vs. R9 390 8GB

I want to build a new pc, I thought gtx 970 was a great gpu. But everytime I post a new build people tell me to get a R9 390 8GB. Why is this card better than the gtx 970.

Also my friend says 970 is better than the r9 390. I really don't know what to pick now!

:wacko:

I made dis, Gaben pls

i5 6600K | Hyper 212 EVO | Asus Maximus VIII Alpha | HyperX Fury DDR4 8Gb | 850 EVO 500Gb

Corsair Carbide 400C | Supernova 750W G2

...GTX 970 In progress...

GTX 970 is a good card, but the R9 390 is faster, has more VRAM and has a better DX12 perspective while costing the same, so it's just a better choice

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Prepare yourself, winter is coming.

But on a serious note it depends on the games you play. If you play gameworks games get the 970, if you don't get the 390.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

GTX 970 is a good card, but the R9 390 is faster, has more VRAM and has a better DX12 perspective while costing the same, so it's just a better choice

Prepare yourself, winter is coming.

But on a serious note it depends on the games you play. If you play gameworks games get the 970, if you don't get the 390.

What's DX12, sorry xD

And what's gameworks sorry noob here...

I play GTAV and JC3, als less heavy games like CS GO

I made dis, Gaben pls

i5 6600K | Hyper 212 EVO | Asus Maximus VIII Alpha | HyperX Fury DDR4 8Gb | 850 EVO 500Gb

What's DX12, sorry xD

390 Anyways. DX12 is a game API (I think) and it's better than DX11 which most games use. Only games coming out now are using DX12 and you'd want a card that performs good with it. (I don't understand it either, I just memorise what other people say about it xD) here's a youtube video about it:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

What's DX12, sorry xD

DX12 is the next installment of Direct X, it's software used to make games. And there is no way of knowing how each GPU will perform next year so ignore comments that claim to have "the sight" :lol:

Gameworks is a division of Nvidea the manufacturer of the 970 responsible for helping developers make games. And when they "help" they make the game run poorly on a AMD GPU like the 390. Fallout 4 as an example runs much better on a Nvidia graphics card because of Gameworks involvement.

DX12 is the next installment of Direct X, it's software used to make games. And there is no way of knowing how each GPU will perform next year so ignore comments that claim to have "the sight" :lol:

Gameworks is a division of Nvidea the manufacturer of the 970 responsible for helping developers make games. And when they "help" they make the game run poorly on a AMD GPU like the 390. Fallout 4 as an example runs much better on a Nvidia graphics card because of Gameworks involvement.

Do they say if it'smade with that gameworks in descriptions.

And is gta v and jc 3 gameworks or not, because if zo I'd rather go with gtx 970 I think...

I made dis, Gaben pls

And is gta v and jc 3 gameworks or not, because if zo I'd rather go with gtx 970 I think...

Those two would be best paired with the 390

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Those two would be best paired with the 390

OKay, thanks! :D

I'm marking this topic as solved, thanks guys!!!!!

I made dis, Gaben pls

For crying out loud, buy 390 because it has over 2x the Vram. 970 has only 3.5 ddr5. The remaining 0.5 is extremely slow and will kill fps if the game eats up more than 3.5 VRAM. And believe me, upcoming games WILL use more rams. Also directx 12, the API that future game engine will be code on performs better on amd GCN

Yep, that's part of the deal the Developer makes with Nvidia to get Nvidia's support through Gameworks is to advertise for Nvidia. So in the home page for the game you should see Nvidia or Gameworks listed. Some games advertise more than others. Fallout is somewhat low key about it. But here is the difference in performance between the 390 and 970- in that game because of it.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/if-youre-playing-fallout-4-on-pc-youd-better-have-a-nvidia-card/

And before someone says this is pre Crimson, the compass glitch makes you live without a compass or roll back to the performance before the driver released.

i brought the 390 becurse it has equal or a little bit better proformence while not having vram problems (3,5) gb not 4 vs r9 390 8 gb 

i think you should buy the 390 :) 

A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, DirectX12 is the newest version of DirectX, which is a graphics API developed by Microsoft. There's really no need for you to know very much about DX12, or any other API for that matter. All modern graphics cards supports DX12, so it's not something you should worry about.

Secondly, GameWorks is a set of game features, or techniques for graphical processing, such as Hairworks for creating realistic hair, PhysX for realistic physics, TXAA which is a supposedly "movie-like" anti-aliasing technique, PCSS and HBAO+ which creates realistic shadows and lighting, and a few other graphical settings. Not all of these are Nvidia-exclusive, as some can run just fine on AMD hardware. However they are all very taxing on your GPU, and are meant for the very highest-end gaming rigs. This also does not mean that you can't play GameWorks-titles on an AMD card.

Lastly, you should get a 390 over a 970. Not because the increased VRAM will make a big difference - because no games will be VRAM-limited above 2/3 GB, and the 3.5GB 'issue' with the 970 does not impact performance nearly as much as many people says - but because it's simply a faster card which sells for about the same price. More performance per dollar, simple as that. Unless you get a very good deal for a 970, get the 390.

First off, DirectX12 is the newest version of DirectX, which is a graphics API developed by Microsoft. There's really no need for you to know very much about DX12, or any other API for that matter. All modern graphics cards supports DX12, so it's not something you should worry about.

Secondly, GameWorks is a set of game features, or techniques for graphical processing, such as Hairworks for creating realistic hair, PhysX for realistic physics, TXAA which is a supposedly "movie-like" anti-aliasing technique, PCSS and HBAO+ which creates realistic shadows and lighting, and a few other graphical settings. Not all of these are Nvidia-exclusive, as some can run just fine on AMD hardware. However they are all very taxing on your GPU, and are meant for the very highest-end gaming rigs. This also does not mean that you can't play GameWorks-titles on an AMD card.

Lastly, you should get a 390 over a 970. Not because the increased VRAM will make a big difference - because no games will be VRAM-limited above 2/3 GB, and the 3.5GB 'issue' with the 970 does not impact performance nearly as much as many people says - but because it's simply a faster card which sells for about the same price. More performance per dollar, simple as that. Unless you get a very good deal for a 970, get the 390.

okay thanks for all the explanation man thumbs up

I'm gon' get tha R9 xD

I made dis, Gaben pls

okay thanks for all the explanation man thumbs up

I'm gon' get tha R9 xD

Good choice, I'm confident you won't regret it. Good luck to you!

What's DX12, sorry xD

JC3 performance for AMD GPU is all over the place btw, until they release an optimize driver for the game which we don't know when you're better off with a GTX970.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Not entirely accurate, there are anti aliasing options only available to Nvidia cards on many Gameworks titles. And a 970 is more than enough to handle those settings. I'd personally love to use TXAA with MechWarrior but can't because I have a 290.

Other than that spot on.

i would take the 970 personally..

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

You should play gta v. VRAM usuage was 3.79 when settings, including advance and AA are crank to max. Star wars battlefront also listed 4gb VRAM cards as the recommended requirements.

You should play gta v. VRAM usuage was 3.79 when settings, including advance and AA are crank to max. Star wars battlefront also listed 4gb VRAM cards as the recommended requirements.

i can tell by your name your an amd fanboy

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Not entirely accurate, there are anti aliasing options only available to Nvidia cards on many Gameworks titles. And a 970 is more than enough to handle those settings. I'd personally love to use TXAA with MechWarrior but can't because I have a 290.

Other than that spot on.

I'm aware that some titles will lock down certain GameWorks settings for users of AMD cards - which is why I said that they will 'some' will run fine on AMD hardware. A 970 will handle most of the GameWorks features, but some - like HairWorks - is a bit too taxing even for the 970, and will significantly impact your FPS in many cases.

i would take the 970 personally..

Why?!?!

I'd love to know!

I made dis, Gaben pls

VRAM usage is completely model specific. My 390 used way more VRAM in every game I play than my 290 which shares the same amount of VRAM as the 970. Yet I have better luck at 1440 with my 290 than I did the 390.

At the high end GPU segment such as the 970 and 390, VRAM isn't a concern. Only marketing.

Lastly just because a card supports DirectX 12 doesn't mean the hardware or driver is optimizes for it. This is a big issue Linux users lament over. They found many of the games ported to Linux run much worse than windows because codes are not optimized. I believe NVIDIA has the same issue. Check out the initial benchmark of DirectX 12. AMD 2xx cards perform faster than their NVIDIA counterparts