Second build... 6 years in the making

wobbegong

Hi,

So it has been a solid 6 years since my last build and my pc is an old dog now. Just finished buying my parts, some of which are a bit overkill because I intended on buying a 980ti but that was scraped. I got a 970 instead, with a plan to give to one of my m8s once nvidia drops their new things in 2016. Hoping this will last me another 6 years! Anyway just need some tips over the next few days while I put this together (defos gonna lose my shit at some point).

dzJWx8w.jpg

Parts list:

Cpu: i7-6700k
Mobo: rog hero
Ram: G-skill 32gb (8x4) @ 2400mhz
Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo / Seagate 2tb cuda
Vid: Asus 970

Psu: Evga 750 G2
Case: 450d
Cooling: H100i / 2 x jetflo 120's (red) not sure about these - gonna ditch them if they're too noisy / 3 x sp120 quiets

Misc: Tp-link archer wifi card, Cablemod red & black cable kit, 2 x icemodz white led strips + fan hub.

Peripherals: Corsair strafe rgb w/ mx browns keyboard | Corsair sabre RGB mouse (already in use) / Audioengine A5+ | S8 Sub | D1 dac (hopefully getting delivered before christmas day X)/ LG29" ultrawide monitor (already in use)

Day 1 (planning for tomorrow): 

-So I need to get a screwdriver and other things from the hardware store tomorrow. Suggestions - Ratchet or just standard magnetic tip phillips head?

-I probably need a reference vid to use while i'm building.

-Do I need a anti static wrist strap?

-Plan to build in my kitchen because my room has carpet.. Good idea?

-Advice? Thanks.

< ( ( ( " >

Get one of those multi bit screw driver things with magnetic tips. That was literally the BEST investment I have ever made. 

Linus has build guides, i think he has one for skylake. Not sure. So follow along one of his build guides if you need to reference anything.

No, you do not need an anti static strap, but you do need to ground yourself on some metal part, like the power supply or some metal on your case in order to discharge the static.

I've built on carpet, not the smartest thing in the world, but yeah, build in your kitchen if you can. 

There really isn't much advice to give. Cable manage as you go, grab spare zip ties, I almost always use more than what the case provided, ground yourself often, and let a rip, oh, and post progress shots as you go. We love that stuff.

Do you even fanboy bro?

looks good man, don't you mean 4X8gb? screwdriver doesn't matter and build in the kitchen and also you don't really need a strap.

Get one of those multi bit screw driver things with magnetic tips. That was literally the BEST investment I have ever made. 

Linus has build guides, i think he has one for skylake. Not sure. So follow along one of his build guides if you need to reference anything.

No, you do not need an anti static strap, but you do need to ground yourself on some metal part, like the power supply or some metal on your case in order to discharge the static.

I've built on carpet, not the smartest thing in the world, but yeah, build in your kitchen if you can. 

There really isn't much advice to give. Cable manage as you go, grab spare zip ties, I almost always use more than what the case provided, ground yourself often, and let a rip, oh, and post progress shots as you go. We love that stuff.

Thanks man, i'll have a look at them tomorrow.

I've seen linus' videos but there are so many...lmao. I'll have another squizz tonight. 

Yea cable management is going to be hard, my brother did mine in the first build.

looks good man, don't you mean 4X8gb? screwdriver doesn't matter and build in the kitchen and also you don't really need a strap.

True i guess you have the right order, but 4x8 is 8x4???? lmao

Can we get some pics of your old build, @tmcclelland455 would love to see it 

Yeah no worries, excuse the dust. Stopped cleaning it 2 years ago.

BI0RFnb.jpg

okwagoI.jpg

HOPS1NU.jpg

Parts list:

i7 870

8bg kingston 2133mhz ram

Asus PDP55E Pro? think so?

GTX 760 (original card was a 570)

1 tb cuda

850w xfx psu

< ( ( ( " >

Day 2:

kaTPVNs.jpg
pE2cScQ.jpg
ksX8cUF.jpg

So after 12 hours I finally put everything together. Had mad problems with cable routing. I cleaned it up a little bit, not perfect but it'll do for now. Only thing left to do is install my stuff and fix my fan leds at the front and in speeds in the bios. Any suggestions on the fan curve?

< ( ( ( " >

Day 2:

kaTPVNs.jpg

pE2cScQ.jpg

ksX8cUF.jpg

So after 12 hours I finally put everything together. Had mad problems with cable routing. I cleaned it up a little bit, not perfect but it'll do for now. Only thing left to do is install my stuff and fix my fan leds at the front and in speeds in the bios. Any suggestions on the fan curve?

Somehow almost every build log makes me jelly

-snip-

That second pic tho... Scared the hell out of me, it looked like the pc was gigantic :P

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide