Going to buy a new Mechanical Keyboard for gaming, which switches are best?

GrievingJosh

Hey people! :) So anyway, about the title, I'm looking to buy a new Keyboard for gaming ... I currently use a Logitech wireless Keyboard and don't get me wrong it's great but I'd like a actual gaming oriented KB. What's stopping me from choosing is the switches, I haven't ever used a Cherry MX Keyboard and have no way to try one out, so, I would like to know, what do you guys think is the best switch for gaming? By the way, if this'll help anyone before asking this topic I was going to get a Corsair K95, I like the design and the backlit Keys. Yes I know nothing of Keyboards. :)

I believe Cherry MX Blues are best for gaming and typing, so long as nobody minds the noise.

Also, is that Patrick Stewart?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I believe Cherry MX Blues are best for gaming and typing, so long as nobody minds the noise.

Also, is that Patrick Stewart?

Yup, and nah noise isn't really an issue.

Ones you like.

Try them and get one you like. Don't gamble on something you might regret--especially since mech keyboards aren't exactly cheap.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well I have a G710+ and I love it. The macro keys and gaming software works really well for me. Also the media keys and volume dial and very convinient in case I feel super lazy. The brown switches have a nice feeling to them and I feel they are one of the better switches for gaming. Although I recommend you remove the rubber O rings underneath the keycaps as they kind of hinder the typing experience

Your best bet is either ordering a WASD switch tester if you live in the US or go down to your local computer store and see if you can try them out there ^_^

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ones you like.

Try them and get one you like. Don't gamble on something you might regret--especially since mech keyboards aren't exactly cheap.

I haven't used one and have no way to try one. This is why I'm sort of taking a gamble on which one I may like.

I recommend buying a sample kit from WASDKeyboards. There is no "best switch", it's all personal preference. 

Edit: You can also read about the difference here. This will give you a theoretical knowledge about switches

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Ones you like.

Totally with you on that. Although, there is the issue of finding a store which allows you to even try the switches in the first place which is quite a bummer

Your best bet is either ordering a WASD switch tester if you live in the US or go down to your local computer store and see if you can try them out there ^_^

Local Computer store doesn't have them, and I live in the U.K. :)

I haven't used one and have no way to try one. This is why I'm sort of taking a gamble on which one I may like.

Well I have a G710+ and I love it. The macro keys and gaming software works really well for me. Also the media keys and volume dial and very convinient in case I feel super lazy. The brown switches have a nice feeling to them and I feel they are one of the better switches for gaming. Although I recommend you remove the rubber O rings underneath the keycaps as they kind of hinder the typing experience

Well if you want to get one simply from recommendation, you could do what I did and get the G710+ because of Linus and Slick's first video on it.

Gorgeous keyboard and a pleasure to type on. :P

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well if you want to get one simply from recommendation, you could do what I did and get the G710+ because of Linus and Slick's first video on it.

Gorgeous keyboard and a pleasure to type on. :P

High 5 mate! *holds up hand*

I GUESS, I could get one of those WASD sampler kit things and have it shipped here? Rather interested to try out all the different switches instead of having to just buy one due to a recommendation, although it is nice. :) 

High 5 mate! *holds up hand*

*Keeps hands on keyboard*

"Sorry mate--feels too good"

i reckon you gotta try each one of the switches and pick which one is right for you. it really is a matter of preference 

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

*Keeps hands on keyboard*

"Sorry mate--feels too good"

I know right? Like Linus said, "Sex for the hands, in a good way of course!"

There are no "best" use whatever you like.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Local Computer store doesn't have them, and I live in the U.K. :)

Ah know your feels V_V well getting a WASD kit shipped to you sounds like the best solution.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ah know your feels V_V well getting a WASD kit shipped to you sounds like the best solution.

Least you're in UK. Every CPU part excluding laptops are severely overpriced here since the main computer hub has a stupid high rent. It's actually cheaper to ship off Amazon or Newegg than buying locally believe it or not!

Least you're in UK. Every CPU part excluding laptops are severely overpriced here since the main computer hub has a stupid high rent. It's actually cheaper to ship off Amazon or Newegg than buying locally believe it or not!

Actually it's the same here :P things are far cheaper online than they are in store but apparently we pay for the "convenience of not paying for shipping and being able to get a product instantly" :/

Best advice that I can give you is that is up to personal preference and you are best off testing it at a retail store and just feeling em out and seeing which ones you prefer!

Here you can see some info on the different switches: http://www.cmuniversity.net/ (http://www.cmuniversity.net/switches.php?lang=en)

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

u can't buy depending on people opinions everyone will tell u about his favorite one , u just need to get on the store guy nerv and make him open the boxes for u so u can try them :D

Steel Series 6gv2... I find it brings a perfect combination between sound and knowing that you've hit a key nicely :)

i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz | Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4) 2133MHz | Gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD3H | Silverstrone 850W | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 250GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | 2x Gigabyte Windforce Gtx 780s

I GUESS, I could get one of those WASD sampler kit things and have it shipped here? Rather interested to try out all the different switches instead of having to just buy one due to a recommendation, although it is nice. :)

My friend had a sampler kit shipped to him and we live in the UK. Didn't take long and was well worth it. The best switch for you is the one YOU prefer, not the one we recommend.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

Well to be fair, the experience with some keyboards may be absolutely horrible. But that's not to say you shouldn't try them either way