1.5GB ram + 1080p or 2GB ram + 720p on a 5-5.5" phone?

Alurit

I've been looking for a new phone as my current one can barely manage chrome and the batter started failing recently,

I've been looking into the 200 euro-ish phones and I have found 2 suitable candidates. the lg g4s (lg beat) and the sony xperia m4 aqua. both have snapdragon 615, which is nice for 200 euros, battery is meh, but I'm a very light user and my galaxy s3 mini with 1500mah lasted me enough before the battery stated to give up. (95% of the time it's just alarm clock + calls + listening to music/podcasts), and I don't really use up much storage.

the biggest difference is that the lg has only 1.5gb ram but a 1080p screen while the sony has 2gb ram with a 720p screen.

TL:DR do you think a 1080p screen would make a difference on a 5.5 inch device?

I think it's best to just go with 720p. Do you even care about ultra high pixel density?

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

To be honest, 720p is just fine for 5/5.5" phones. I went from 720P to 1440P with no difference other than worse battery life.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I've been looking for a new phone as my current one can barely manage chrome and the batter started failing recently,

I've been looking into the 200 euro-ish phones and I have found 2 suitable candidates. the lg g4s (lg beat) and the sony xperia m4 aqua. both have snapdragon 615, which is nice for 200 euros, battery is meh, but I'm a very light user and my galaxy s3 mini with 1500mah lasted me enough before the battery stated to give up. (95% of the time it's just alarm clock + calls + listening to music/podcasts), and I don't really use up much storage.

the biggest difference is that the lg has only 1.5gb ram but a 1080p screen while the sony has 2gb ram with a 720p screen.

TL:DR do you think a 1080p screen would make a difference on a 5.5 inch device?

Yea it would make a difference.

Depends on really how you use your phone.

I consume 80% of my videos on my phone.

lg 4s has terrible battery life

at 200 euro range Meizu M2 Note is the king.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If you also watch videos on your phone, definitely get a 1080p screen. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

720p, imo the truly worthwhile jump imo is 1080p -> 2K

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

lg 4s has terrible battery life

at 200 euro range Meizu M2 Note is the king.

that also cut my eye, but being a really unknown brand I worry that it might be some low quality screen. my mother once bought a 120 euro samsung phone and the touchscreen on it was barely usable, with lot of the not being able to register touches

that also cut my eye, but being a really unknown brand I worry that it might be some low quality screen. my mother once bought a 120 euro samsung phone and the touchscreen on it was barely usable, with lot of the not being able to register touches

that phone has the best screen on 200 euro phone BY FAR.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Meizu-m2-note-Review_id4049

it also dims to 1 nit which makes it amazing at night.

My father has it, it's an amazing phone.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

How about a Nexus 5? It has an 5" 1080p screen & a 2300mAh battery... It costs around 200€. I actually want to buy one myself, but I need to sell my phone first [emoji4]

How about a Nexus 5? It has an 5" 1080p screen & a 2300mAh battery... It costs around 200€. I actually want to buy one myself, but I need to sell my phone first [emoji4]

it's 300 in my country

1080p -> 2K

That translates to "1920x1080 -> 2048x1080." That's... A very negligible jump.

Unless you meant QHD / 1440p, which are different resolutions.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

That translates to "1920x1080 -> 2048x1080." That's... A very negligible jump.

Unless you meant QHD / 1440p, which are different resolutions.

Cool, you corrected me on a term literally everyone uses including the LTT staff themselves 

Everyone means  that when they say 2K, get over it

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Iphone! :P. Right?

Actually not :P

I went from LG Optimus G (E975) to LG G4 - battery life didn't get better, nor did the screen on the phone. It is supposedly "crispy", haven't found that out yet... It lags in games like the E975, since it has a higher resolution too :P

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

-snip-

Wow, i would never be able to downgrade from anything with 1440P display, especially Samsung's Super Amoleds  :P. I would instead buy a regular phone myself. Yeah, i also upgraded from a Samsung mini btw :P.

Groomlake Authority

Wow, i would never be able to downgrade from anything with 1440P display, especially Samsung's Super Amoleds  :P. I would instead buy a regular phone myself.

I mean, there is no huge difference, even when looking at them side by side, on another note however, the Samsung Galaxy S2 is terrible compared to anything else, it's like insanely cool in terms of colours :P

Meh, I feel like I am pretty sensitive to low resolutions, and 720p+ I can't detect. Give me a 720p 5" phone in one hand, a 1440p/4k phone in the other, I might be able to detect it, but it doesn't feel that much better. :)

I could however see going from normal LCD to AMOLED or the other way around being noticeable

-snip-

Yeah, there is a quite large difference in displays technologies. Hopefully one day we get to customise our owns :D

Groomlake Authority

I would take the Xiaomi redmi note 3 :D

Workstation: I7 4790K| Noctua NH-D15| Gigabyte gtx 660 OC| 16Gb Ram 1600Mhz| 2x FullHD 16:9 Monitors

Gaming rig:  FX6100 @ 4.5GHz| Club 3D radeon HD 7870XT Joker| 8Gb Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz| MSI GAMING 970| 1680x1050 Monitor

Notebook:    Custom MSI GE60| I7 4710HQ| Nvidia Geforce gtx 860