Safe file transfer. HELP!

Brownfield1995

I recently bought a new desktop and all of my games and stuff are on my laptop, my internet's download speed is horrible so i would like to know if there's a way to transfer the files over the wifi from one computer to another?

I recently bought a new desktop and all of my games and stuff are on my laptop, my internet's download speed is horrible so i would like to know if there's a way to transfer the files over the wifi from one computer to another?

Yep.

Make a Workgroup and share your folders across it. What OS do you have?

Or you could remove the HDD in the laptop, attach it to your Desktop, transfer the files (it would be a lot faster), then put it back in your Laptop.

Either or.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Yep.

Or you could remove the HDD in the laptop, attach it to your Desktop, transfer the files (it would be a lot faster), then put it back in your Laptop.

Either or.

What he said, and I would definitely just pop out the hard drive, and do it that way, since it would take ages to do the other way in comparison.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Yep.

Either or.

Im just looking for any way faster than 75kbts a second lol thats the internet im working with, i have Windows 8 and the laptop is 7 how EXACTLY do i do this?

Im just looking for any way faster than 75kbts a second lol thats the internet im working with, i have Windows 8 and the laptop is 7 how EXACTLY do i do this?It

Well, are you just transfer things like Music, Documents, and Photos, or are you trying to completely clone the drive?

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Well, are you just transfer things like Music, Documents, and Photos, or are you trying to completely clone the drive?

Pics, music, some small vids, and games. Games are the biggest files.

Based on how he describes it, this:

Pics, music, some small vids, and games. Games are the biggest files.

Im just looking for any way faster than 75kbts a second lol thats the internet im working with, i have Windows 8 and the laptop is 7 how EXACTLY do i do this?

Alrighty, here is what you do:

Take out your Laptop HDD. Install it into your Desktop. Copy/paste everything from your Win7 to your Win8 installation. It is literally as simple as that. Your Win8 OS will be able to see your Win7 files/folders.

You do not have to do anything else. It is that simple.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Based on how he describes it, this:

Alrighty, here is what you do:

Take out your Laptop HDD. Install it into your Desktop. Copy/paste everything from your Win7 to your Win8 installation. It is literally as simple as that. Your Win8 OS will be able to see your Win7 files/folders.

You do not have to do anything else. It is that simple.

I dont have a way to plug the laptop HDD into the desktop.

I dont have a way to plug the laptop HDD into the desktop.

You don't have a sata cable?

If you don't know what they look like:

ultraflex-sata-cable-2.jpg

No sir.

Poop... if you had a computer shop close by they're only like $.99, but I guess you should just do it the other way, and set up a work group, and transfer them that way.  ( You could also just use a flash drive, by transferring it bit by bit that way too, but you'd need a decent sized one to make it not super terrible..)

No sir.

This may help you set up a homegroup:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/join-or-create-a-workgroup

Sense you know what you're talking about could you just explain how to do the work group please?

When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it a name. You can join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clickingSystem.

2. Under Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings, click Change settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.

4. Under Member of, click Workgroup, and then do one of the following:

• To join an existing workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click OK.

• To create a new workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then click OK.

If you change the name of an existing workgroup, a new workgroup will be created with that name.

492089e4-258d-4674-b3b4-5c0d0c471ba4_15.The Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box

If your computer was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be removed from the domain and your computer account on that domain will be disabled.

† Christian Member †

When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it a name. You can join an existing workgroup on a network or create a new one.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clickingSystem.

2. Under Computer Name, Domain, and Workgroup Settings, click Change settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.

4. Under Member of, click Workgroup, and then do one of the following:

• To join an existing workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to join, and then click OK.

• To create a new workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that you want to create, and then click OK.

If you change the name of an existing workgroup, a new workgroup will be created with that name.

492089e4-258d-4674-b3b4-5c0d0c471ba4_15.The Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box

If your computer was a member of a domain before you joined the workgroup, it will be removed from the domain and your computer account on that domain will be disabled.

Beat my slow typing to it.. ( Well copy paste skill :P )

Beat my slow typing to it.. ( Well copy paste skill :P )

Okay i did this but when i looked at my laptop's files theres no Programsx86 or anything like that i cant find the games or itunes.

Okay i did this but when i looked at my laptop's files theres no Programsx86 or anything like that i cant find the games or itunes.

You should see a Programs file on your C: drive.. Make sure you're not in another folder or anything. ( Click Start, my computer, then click your C: drive, and it should be there. )

Also, if your games are on Steam BTW you can just re download them on the new computer, so you don't have to worry about doing all of them right now.

Music should be in C:\Users\(Your Account)\My Music

Also, if your games are on Steam BTW you can just re download them on the new computer, so you don't have to worry about doing all of them right now.

Well that is what he does not want to do. His download speed is 75KB/s which is just plain horrific.

Mine is 375KB/s and it is kinda terrible. I cannot imagine 75KB/s

† Christian Member †

@Brownfield1995

Ok well your steam files are here ( by default at least ) C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

or if you don't have a ProgramFiles(x86), then just substitute it for ProgramFiles and it should work fine

@Brownfield1995

Ok well your steam files are here ( by default at least ) C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

Unless his OS is not 64 bit. Entirely possible.

† Christian Member †

Unless his OS is not 64 bit. Entirely possible.

That's probably it... It' may just be Program Files

Music should be in C:\Users\(Your Account)\My Music

Well that is what he does not want to do. His download speed is 75KB/s which is just plain horrific.

Mine is 375KB/s and it is kinda terrible. I cannot imagine 75KB/s

From my desktop, i click on the network, then i click devices or whatever on it, and my laptop shows up, i click that and i see nothing but some pics and like my desktop icons that are shortcuts, i have no clue where to look.

From my desktop, i click on the network, then i click devices or whatever on it, and my laptop shows up, i click that and i see nothing but some pics and like my desktop icons that are shortcuts, i have no clue where to look.

Oh, you are only sharing media files (pictures, movies, and music) and not the entire file structure. Will look into it and come back with an answer unless someone does before me. 

† Christian Member †

look the answer is simple

.unscrew 10 (or so) screws from the bottom of your laptop

.pull hdd

.put in ur pc

.copy files

.in an instant

.end

hardware or software maybe ill make a topic on this..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”