Safe file transfer. HELP!

Brownfield1995

Oh, you are only sharing media files (pictures, movies, and music) and not the entire file structure. Will look into it and come back with an answer unless someone does before me. 

and games like SC2 SimCity L4D and Diablo

and games like SC2 SimCity L4D and Diablo

No, what I am saying is that your workgroup is only setup to share those aforementioned files and not the every folder on your Laptop HDD. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

No, what I am saying is that your workgroup is only setup to share those aforementioned files and not the every folder on your Laptop HDD. 

How do i share everything?

How do i share everything?

Share a Folder
  1. Start Windows Explorer.
  2. Right-click the folder that you want to share, (for example, Steam), and then click Sharing and Security.
  3. Click Share this folder

Windows automatically uses the name of the folder as the share name (if there is not already another share that uses the name on the computer). You can change the share name if you want to use a different name.

4. Click Permissions.
  5. In the Permissions for FolderName dialog box, click Add.
  6. In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, type the names of the users or groups that you want to add to the shared folder, and then click OK.
  7. To grant or remove a user or group permission for the shared folder, click the user or group in the Group or user namesbox, and then click to select the Allow or Deny check box next to the permission that you want to grant or deny.
  8. Click OK.

Then just repeat that process for EVERYTHING you want to share. Just do the highest folder in the file structure to make it easier. Like your User folder or something equivalent (like the entire Steam folder). Then copy/paste away.

For Step 6, you would just add the User name of your account on the Windows 8 Desktop. That should do it.

Remember to turn off file sharing by doing the reverse of all the steps that we have mentioned so that you do not share your folders with everyone at your home if someone comes over with a laptop, phone, or any other device that could access it (Tablet, Gaming handheld, etc).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Lol... when I transferred files from Comp to Comp I used a single 2GB USB Stick. Yep. I could of used a home network but our modem is so crappy it would be slower. The easiest way that's fast is to get a USB - USB Cable. No need to take out hard drives (Though it is slower)

Share a Folder

1. Start Windows Explorer.
  2. Right-click the folder that you want to share, (for example, Steam), and then click Sharing and Security.
  3. Click Share this folder

Windows automatically uses the name of the folder as the share name (if there is not already another share that uses the name on the computer). You can change the share name if you want to use a different name.

4. Click Permissions.
  5. In the Permissions for FolderName dialog box, click Add.
  6. In the Select Users or Groups dialog box, type the names of the users or groups that you want to add to the shared folder, and then click OK.
  7. To grant or remove a user or group permission for the shared folder, click the user or group in the Group or user namesbox, and then click to select the Allow or Deny check box next to the permission that you want to grant or deny.
  8. Click OK.

Then just repeat that process for EVERYTHING you want to share. Just do the highest folder in the file structure to make it easier. Like your User folder or something equivalent (like the entire Steam folder). Then copy/paste away.

For Step 6, you would just add the User name of your account on the Windows 8 Desktop. That should do it.

Remember to turn off file sharing by doing the reverse of all the steps that we have mentioned so that you do not share your folders with everyone at your home if someone comes over with a laptop, phone, or any other device that could access it (Tablet, Gaming handheld, etc).

At least you helped him out.. I was making a banner for a website I'm making for a client.. Sorry for dropping the ball on that one. :(

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

At least you helped him out.. I was making a banner for a website I'm making for a client.. Sorry for dropping the ball on that one. :(

Lol, it is fine bro. I understand. Job comes first. :P

† Christian Member †

I cant even find the file that holds the game all the ones im seeing are like killabites and shit

I cant even find the file that holds the game all the ones im seeing are like killabites and shit

It is either under this directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common

Or this directory:

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common

Just copy/paste those into the exact same directory, but on your W8 computer from your W7 computer.

† Christian Member †