Driver Disks that come with PC Parts - are they Useful?

Aleksbgbg

So I just put together my first PC, just missing the RAM at the moment, however I have installation disks for my Motherboard and GPU and I have never used these, so I was wondering if they serve any crucial purpose?

Do these provide anything that you wouldn't find on the internet, or are they just for people not using the internet? When I boot up my new PC for real, should I install these? Anything else you know?

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

As you said for offline drivers, that's all i have ever used them for and offline manuals.

I assume they're still included for the less tech savvy customers who may not be aware how frequently drivers are updated or where to get them. There's still an "average consumer" who is probably expecting to have the included disc do everything they need.

But you're savvy enough to ask this question, so you should be getting up-to-date drivers from the websites whenever possible. :)

Edit: There is one situation I can think of where you might want to use a driver CD: when you can't use the internet because Windows doesn't automatically provide a compatible driver for your LAN controller. Even then, most people today have other internet-connected devices available to get around that.

Basically, you will only ever need them if when you first boot your machine and install windows, the network drivers are not installed. Thats it, that's the only circumstance when you might need the mobo driver cd. You would then still update the network driver afterwards with the latest one.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

I didn't use any of the disks. I put the networks drivers on a USB and install them to a fresh PC. After that I installed other drivers from their online sources.

Found most CDs included are outdated and need to be updated online anyway or come with some bloatware I don't necessarily need (this issue more with peripherals).

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

So I just put together my first PC, just missing the RAM at the moment, however I have installation disks for my Motherboard and GPU and I have never used these, so I was wondering if they serve any crucial purpose?

Do these provide anything that you wouldn't find on the internet, or are they just for people not using the internet? When I boot up my new PC for real, should I install these? Anything else you know?

My most recent build had a killer NIC that my installation of Win10 did not have a working, or generic driver for, and had misplaced the disc. Downloaded the MB and network drivers onto another machine, copied them over, installed the NIC (only). The rest were able to be automatically detected and updated from the web.

My Ethernet worked out of the box, so I went directly to my mobo's website and downloaded the newest drivers, same goes for all other parts.

Only needed if you networking on your mobo doesn't work.  Once you have the internet, toss those CDs like a Frisbee out the window  ^_^

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!