Should I use a engineering board?

So I have a engineering sample motherboard.

It is a INTEL 55000psl, Socket J

The only thing I would need to fix is a broken cap.

Any tips on whether or not to use the board.

Thanks!

So I have a engineering sample motherboard.

It is a INTEL 55000psl, Socket J

The only thing I would need to fix is a broken cap.

Any tips on whether or not to use the board.

Thanks!

you have a CPU that fits the socket?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

If its fixable why not?

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

you have a CPU that fits the socket?

No I would need to get some RAM (Since it uses DDR1, even if it claims it needs DDR2)

Also I would need a CPU, but it costs like ~$20

No I would need to get some RAM (Since it uses DDR1, even if it claims it needs DDR2)

Why though? What are you going to do with ddr1 ram and a $20 processor... Minesweeper?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

i'm pretty sure that board isn't ddr1 i think its fb ddr2

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Are you sure it's DDR1? Only the earliest models of 775 boards, like Via P8T800 based ones used DDR1.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Are you sure it's DDR1? Only the earliest models of 775 boards, like Via P8T800 based ones used DDR1.

i'm pretty sure that board isn't ddr1 i think its fb ddr2

Why though? What are you going to do with ddr1 ram and a $20 processor... Minesweeper?

The CPU is cheap due to low demand. The board is an engineering sample, I have tried DDR2 but no luck. (Non FB DDR2

Edited by Nyraion

The CPU is cheap due to low demand. The board is an engineering sample, I have tried DDR2 but no luck. (Non FB DDR2

Yea, I get that its cheap, and you can only use the ram that's compatible, but if DDR1 is all you can get, and you buy that cheap of a cpu theres no point. Maybe you thought I was joking when I said you could only run minesweeper? No, I mean the only game you will likely play on that is literally minesweeper, or maybe hangman. Honestly, it'd be a miracle if you even loaded a modern version of Microsoft word. The only thing I can imagine you would be able to run smoothly, is maybe internet browsers. So again I ask, why? Whats the point of this machine? If your intentionally trying to make the lowest spec machine possible for the lulz then great, but your not gonna be able to use it for anything other than an over-glorified paper weight.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

does ddr2 fit in the slot? it cant be ddr1 because i'm pretty sure 771 cpus dont support ddr1

edit just googled it, you need fb ddr2 either 533 or 667 and you can have upto 32gb

http://www.cnet.com/products/intel-server-board-s5000psl-motherboard-ssi-eeb-3-6-lga771-socket-i5000p-series/specs/

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Yea, I get that its cheap, and you can only use the ram that's compatible, but if DDR1 is all you can get, and you buy that cheap of a cpu theres no point. Maybe you thought I was joking when I said you could only run minesweeper? No, I mean the only game you will likely play on that is literally minesweeper, or maybe hangman. Honestly, it'd be a miracle if you even loaded a modern version of Microsoft word. The only thing I can imagine you would be able to run smoothly, is maybe internet browsers. So again I ask, why? Whats the point of this machine? If your intentionally trying to make the lowest spec machine possible for the lulz then great, but your not gonna be able to use it for anything other than an over-glorified paper weight.

Dual Cores and quad cores are cheap on this platform. Never said I was going to game on such system. And research shows it uses FB DDR2, not my speculated DDR1. Here is a dual core of of amazon:http://tinyurl.com/npznzqx.

Also the platform is from ~2007

Dual Cores and quad cores are cheap on this platform. Never said I was going to game on such system. And research shows it uses FB DDR2, not my speculated DDR1. Here is a dual core of of amazon:http://tinyurl.com/npznzqx.

Also the platform is from ~2007

Ok, so your not gaming but what ARE you going to do on it? I don't think you understand. Cores arnt the only determining factor in performace. You might be able to get quad cores, maybe even 8 cores for $20 but that doesnt mean that they are going to be any good. So forget gaming, lets just say you want to do basic desktop tasks. Even with the most basic tasks such as those, its going to have a seriously hard time. You might have a better shot at doing basic desktop tasks on a texas instrument calculator than you would on this system... No joke. All your going to be able to do is some light web browsing, so if that's what you want, then great, but don't expect to do anything else. And I do mean ANYTHING...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Lotus 1 2 3

Ok, so your not gaming but what ARE you going to do on it? I don't think you understand. Cores arnt the only determining factor in performace. You might be able to get quad cores, maybe even 8 cores for $20 but that doesnt mean that they are going to be any good. So forget gaming, lets just say you want to do basic desktop tasks. Even with the most basic tasks such as those, its going to have a seriously hard time. You might have a better shot at doing basic desktop tasks on a texas instrument calculator than you would on this system... No joke. All your going to be able to do is some light web browsing, so if that's what you want, then great, but don't expect to do anything else. And I do mean ANYTHING...

I was aiming to do NAS or light server hosting on this system. I'm basically running some Core 2 Duos or Core 2 Quads, with DDR2. I have seen people do more than basic web browsing on that hardware

I was aiming to do NAS or light server hosting on this system. I'm basically running some Core 2 Duos or Core 2 Quads, with DDR2. I have seen people do more than basic web browsing on that hardware

Well, whatever :/ I tried lol, don't say I didn't warn you when your hardly able to run a NAS on it.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well, whatever :/ I tried lol, don't say I didn't warn you when your hardly able to run a NAS on it.

I will personally give you the outcome and the Cinebench results

I will personally give you the outcome and the Cinebench results

Okay sure, give the results when you get em. If I'm wrong I will be both impressed, and humbled by your tech wisdom. I'll even post a status update.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!