Cheap sound card for microphone preamp?

markoskerass
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

Correct, the microphone is connected via XLR, and I use a DYI cable that converts it to 3.5mm. Would the card that @Xenift suggested work? I was hoping I could use something inside the computer, and not having to carry it externally.

You can get XLR to USB cables which would probably be a better idea

I dont know of any cards that take in XLR,  a proper XLR interface is so much better - also with these external devices you can get the microphone to mix into your headphones for real time monitoring - and control the mic mid stream/game

Would a sound card work? Maybe, I am not sure if they have any mic pre-amps as they are normally focused on audio OUT - but maybe something you can check on!

Hey,

I have an AKG D230 microphone hooked up to my computer at the moment, and I am using a gigabyte 990xa. But, the input is really low, and there's a hiss sound due to microphone boost. I am aware that I need preamps for my microphone, and I was wondering how I can achieve that, for the lowest budget possible. Perhaps, buying a new sound card, with a bit better preamps? Leave your thoughts down below :)

Thanks in advance

Markos

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

Hey,

I have an AKG D230 microphone hooked up to my computer at the moment, and I am using a gigabyte 990xa. But, the input is really low, and there's a hiss sound due to microphone boost. I am aware that I need preamps for my microphone, and I was wondering how I can achieve that, for the lowest budget possible. Perhaps, buying a new sound card, with a bit better preamps? Leave your thoughts down below :)

Thanks in advance

Markos

What are you connecting it with? I assume XLR?

You could get a cheap interface like I use the Behringer X302 USB 

or get something reasonable like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What are you connecting it with? I assume XLR?

You could get a cheap interface like I use the Behringer X302 USB 

or get something reasonable like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Correct, the microphone is connected via XLR, and I use a DYI cable that converts it to 3.5mm. Would the card that @Xenift suggested work? I was hoping I could use something inside the computer, and not having to carry it externally.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 4.6 GHZ 1.392vCore ||||| Cooler: Hyper 212 evo ||||| MOBO: Gigabyte 990XA UD3 REV 3.0 ||||| RAM: Kingston Hyperx Fury (Single channel) 1866 8GB CL10 ||||| GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 1GB ||||| PSU: CoolerMaster G550m 80+ Bronze ||||| SSD: Kingston SSDnow v300 ||||| HDDs: 2x 250gb 1x Wedstern Digital 320gb |||| Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Black Pure Midnight

You can get XLR to USB cables which would probably be a better idea

I dont know of any cards that take in XLR,  a proper XLR interface is so much better - also with these external devices you can get the microphone to mix into your headphones for real time monitoring - and control the mic mid stream/game

Would a sound card work? Maybe, I am not sure if they have any mic pre-amps as they are normally focused on audio OUT - but maybe something you can check on!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just a quick update:

So, I just received a preamp that I bought for my microphone, a behringer ps400 , which doesnt seem to do ANYTHING at all. Having it plugged in gives me absolutely no performance gain whatsoever. I guess I will have to dig more. I think it has to do with the cable i use to route the preamp to my pc; it doesnt have xlr from both ways (one is 3.5mm jack one is XLR).

Just a quick update:

So, I just received a preamp that I bought for my microphone, a behringer ps400 , which doesnt seem to do ANYTHING at all. Having it plugged in gives me absolutely no performance gain whatsoever. I guess I will have to dig more. I think it has to do with the cable i use to route the preamp to my pc; it doesnt have xlr from both ways (one is 3.5mm jack one is XLR).

You reeeeally should have checked with us before purchasing. That's not a preamp, that's a phantom power supply. Dynamic microphones don't use phantom power - that's why the ps400 is useless for you. 

I recommend a proper audio interface like the Mackie Blackjack so you get good A/D conversion as well as good, clean preamps, considering you've got a $200 microphone. Standalone preamps under $100 aren't really worth it in my opinion. f you really want a preamp, though, this seems to have good reviews with plenty of gain: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP

I do not recommend an XLR to USB dongle or cable like the Blue Icicle because they tend to be more unreliable and have lesser build quality than other audio devices. Also, its converters and preamp might not even offer an improvement over onboard converters and a standalone preamp. 

When using a preamp with the 3.5mm jack, be sure to turn volume all the way up and gain all the way down in Windows. You only want to use gain from the preamp.

Edited by Philosobyte

You want a audio interface
Im willing to bet some good money that a new sound card wont do much.

The Dick of the audio page!