FullHD / 4K HTPC /w Kodi, Chrome and Steam InHomeStreaming

Hello LTT community,

I recently started planning on a tiny HTPC for my FullHD TV. I will mainly use it with Kodi Media Center but also for surfing with Chrome and streaming some games via Steam InHomeStreaming and a Steam Controller. I also wanted it to be future proof aka being able to play 4K videos if possible.

I will also hook it up to an existing sound system together to some other stuff so I need either optical audio out or coaxial audio out. My receiver does not have HDMI in and the optical output of the TV doesn't seem to be 5.1 (but rather only 2.0 for some reason).

The Intel NUCs seemed to be what I was looking for but they have only HDMI out (except for the older ones which have optical audio out).

I need your help because I'm afraid to go either overpower or underpower. I did already build my first PC so I have some kind of builder experience.

THANK YOU very much,

sincerely,

Mattia_98

I'm pretty sure NUCs can push 5.1

Either way you should consider a new receiver

I have to keep my current receiver.. Thanks anyways.

I prefer a custom HTPC, more flexible.

Ok. I see your MB has optical audio out, that's cool. I would like to know what processor I need to do this stuff because I don't want a over-/underpowered machine and I'd like, of course, to only spend what I actually need.

So your HTPC, for example, seems a little to overpowered for me, I think.

Thanks.

I have to keep my current receiver.. Thanks anyways.

Ok. I see your MB has optical audio out, that's cool. I would like to know what processor I need to do this stuff because I don't want a over-/underpowered machine and I'd like, of course, to only spend what I actually need.

So your HTPC, for example, seems a little to overpowered for me, I think.

Thanks.

As I see it, is better to spend a little bit more money on a full htpc than having to rebuy it everytime you want to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...