Making my own multiplayer FPS game

Rayhaan Jiwani

But most of the assets on the UE Marketplace don't even support v4.9

make your own. if you're not ready to do that I don't think you'll last through 3+ years of development.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SNIP

But IDK how to. Especially animations. And what about guns? And if anyone has played Blacklight:Retribution then you know the weapon customisation system. I want a weapon building system like that with stats and precise spread and recoil values, how should I go about that?

CPU:聽i5 4690K @ Stock 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽GPU:聽Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock 聽 聽 聽SSD:聽Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers) 聽 聽 Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case:聽Corsair Obsidian 250D 聽 聽 聽 聽RAM:聽Kingston HyperX 16GB LP 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 HDD:聽WD Caviar Black 2TB 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Mouse:聽Logitech m185

OS:聽Windows 8.1 OEM 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 PSU:聽Corsair RM650 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Motherboard:聽Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽Keyboard:聽Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

But IDK how to. Especially animations. And what about guns?

My friend, "I don't know how to" applies to 90% of what you were proposing I think. I told you it won't be easy. If you don't want to learn how to do stuff you won't get far. Go for the earlier version if you prefer, but 3 years from now you may regret having gone for older tech.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

SNIP

Please check my edit in the post which you quoted. There's some stuff I want to know about.

CPU:聽i5 4690K @ Stock 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽GPU:聽Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock 聽 聽 聽SSD:聽Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers) 聽 聽 Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case:聽Corsair Obsidian 250D 聽 聽 聽 聽RAM:聽Kingston HyperX 16GB LP 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 HDD:聽WD Caviar Black 2TB 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 Mouse:聽Logitech m185

OS:聽Windows 8.1 OEM 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 PSU:聽Corsair RM650 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Motherboard:聽Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽Keyboard:聽Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

Unless your a seasoned artist or can get one for free,... then thats something to think about... FUNDING the project... paying wages.... all that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I want a weapon building system like that with stats and precise spread and recoil values, how should I go about that?

You need to start with something a lot more basic than that. Weapon customization is not a problem once you've built the core game, especially since by then you'll probably know enough about coding and game design to know that won't be a problem. It's like trying to build a car and worrying what colour you should paint it and which paint to use before you start designing it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But IDK how to. Especially animations. And what about guns? And if anyone has played Blacklight:Retribution then you know the weapon customisation system. I want a weapon building system like that with stats and precise spread and recoil values, how should I go about that?

I would starts off small and learn the basics of the engine and than start building your FPS games. It better of learn the skill the trade before mastering it and creating a complex fps.聽

Magical Pineapples

Don't聽go about that. Not in your first project. You聽will聽become frustrated and you聽will聽give up. I guarantee it. I've been through it myself many times. Took me a while to learn that lesson.

Stick to the absolute basics.

SNIP

How do I go about making my own animation though? Assets are ok with Blender, but animations?

Hello Forum,

Before you start discouraging/warning me I'd like to tell you not to since this is a long-term project and I don't need to make it in one summer break.

Ok, so as you read in the title, I want to make my own multiplayer FPS game. And since I'm just 13 and have not used UE4 before, here are my questions/ideas.

1) It's gonna be multiplayer so can I make it peer-to-peer? 2 hosts in a lobby of 16? 1 host for 8 players?

2) How can I incorporate an anti-cheat system since it's gonna be p2p? I can't trust everyone.

3) Where can I get high quality assets I'll need for this game without spending much? Animations, materials, objects, etc.

4) How can I make different materials such as glass wallbangable?

5) How can I make destructive environments like in Battlefield?

6) What system should I have? Minimap of HRV like in Blacklight;Retribution? I really like CoD:AW's UAV which sent a pulse which showed enemy players in red striped lines through walls and I might use that.

7) Can someone be my mentor or at least answer questions which I have within a day?

8) Which version of UE4 should I use? Most assets on the UE Marketplace are compatible with v4.8 but v4.9 is much better for making a game.

9) How can I incorporate Nvidia's GameWorks technology and DX12 support if possible. If not, it's ok.

10) How do I make the game online multiplayer? Will I need a server for the player and item database 'cause IDK if my parents will let me even pay a company for hosting.

11) How can I update the guns and other items in the shop without a patch?

12) After gameplay mechanics, I really need to understand the menu system and how online multiplayer works.

13) What about animations? Gun reload, sprint, crouch, etc.?

As I said before please don't discourage me and I am ready to do whatever it takes to make this game as long as it's not at the cost of my studies.

Thanks! :)

I'm not gonna answer these questions in detail since they would take a post each, but:

1) p2p is fine

2) the server has to "approve" the inputs, in your case the host

3) sorry I can't answer this one

4) look up raycasts, you'll understand how to do it

5) yes, the issue is doing it without taking the FPS

6) that's up to you

7) not me, I don't have time nor the ability to teach so much stuff in a day

8) I would use the latest version

9) never used it, I can't answer this, take a look at their page you should be able to find all the documentation you need

10) you can go p2p but you'll always need at least a central server, otherwise the players can't find any host, the internet it's not magic, for the item db it's highly suggested a server-side database

11) you can make the game load the data of the weapons from the server item-db

12) not sure where the question is here

13) same answer as 12

PS: I don't want to be "that" guy but you won't be able to make a game of this scale by yourself, and from what I can see from your questions you have no knowledge about game programming, and possibly programming in general, not to talk about networking.

Making games by yourself is possible but something of this scale requires an extensive knowledge which you obviously don't have and even if you did it requires a whole team to do something like this correctly.

Start small, when you are actually good enough to work with a team go look for a team.

How do I go about making my own animation though? Assets are ok with Blender, but animations?

blender can do animations too

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have a friend who's also in Grade 8 and made a tank battle game on his own in 3 years. What about making something like Blacklight:Retribution and then adding more features?

just do something simple, a first game doesn't need a crap ton of features, pong was simple and it was a hit, so was pacman.

I've been writing my game engine over the course of the past three weeks and it still isn't complete. Take things one step at a time.

Keep in mind that what you make isn't going to be an instant hit. you need to think about why you like this feature your adding in and what you don't like about this other feature.

It's easy to tell if you like something or not, but it's harder to think about why you like or dislike something. Go around asking people what they would like to see and do not base your game off of something else. There are plenty of ebooks you can download for free that are about game development.聽

Indie development is just as difficult as developing on a team, if not harder. A simple idea can turn into a great game if you nurture it properly.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.