Do I need an SSD?

Savir

This is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GcgC7P and it's a bit over my budget

I was wondering is an SSD really necessary? I was also wondering what the boot times for windows would be on a HDD?

An SSD is not needed, as HDD loading times are ok. But adding an SSD brings unprecedented speed and responsiveness to a system.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

SSD is not needed, but it is nice. Grab one later on.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

the single cheapest way to speed up a systems responsiveness, not needed but once you get one you will wonder why you never bought one before

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

I got a 60 Dolla Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Littlerly took my windows boot time (Inclduing automatic user login) from 2m30s to 7 seconds. Keep in mind that alot of what slows down your boot time is startup programs. Check out this link: http://www.guidingtech.com/247/how-to-speed-up-windows-startup-using-msconfig/

By no means is it nessesary. if you have a verry clean PC, you still can get a HDD (Hard Disk Drive) to boot verry quickly.

Computers r fun

An SSD is not needed, as HDD loading times are ok. But adding an SSD brings unprecedented speed and responsiveness to a system.

My BIOS boot time is 18 seconds on my hard drive. With an SSD it will be about 8 seconds or so.

If you transfer large files often, then the SSD is definitely worth the $40, but if you can handle an extra 10 second boot time and handling large file sizes isn't something you do often, don't get it.

If I pick up an SSD later can I copy windows onto the SSD?

If I pick up an SSD later can I copy windows onto the SSD?

Yes, this is what I did. Just look at cloning tutorials on YouTube.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

~snip~

Hey there Savir :)

As the guys suggested SSDs are as needed as any storage drive for the system. You can run your build even from a thumb drive, depending on the OS, but SSDs do provide great benefits to any system. They decrease all loading and boot times, increase transfer speeds, massively improves the responsiveness and general performance and make the system feel much smoother and better to operate with. I would keep it in the build. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there Savir :)

As the guys suggested SSDs are as needed as any storage drive for the system. You can run your build even from a thumb drive, depending on the OS, but SSDs do provide great benefits to any system. They decrease all loading and boot times, increase transfer speeds, massively improves the responsiveness and general performance and make the system feel much smoother and better to operate with. I would keep it in the build. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the advice 

This is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GcgC7P and it's a bit over my budget

I was wondering is an SSD really necessary? I was also wondering what the boot times for windows would be on a HDD?

At this point drives like the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB are so affordable it makes no sense not to.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz