Would a NAS solve this?

Migit

My family and I use both the TV and our respective PCs, Laptops, Mobile devices to watch, download/stream whatever we happen to be into at the time. Same as most people.

However I find the process of having to use USB drives or External HDDs to move media between the TV or PCs just so it can be used elsewhere is becoming more and more tedious.

Just wondering would setting up a NAS fix this so that everything could be stored and accessed from the one point? From my brief search I think it could as multiple places said they can be accessed remotely, but I wasn't certain if streaming Media to a device that isn't directly connected by cable and there for using a Wi-Fi type connection would chew through our Monthly data allowance from our ISP?

Assuming that being a local network means it doesn't use internet data to access it, just a wireless signal is there a recommended prebuilt NAS, or a recommended set up I can build to accomplish this? I feel like building my own would be more enjoyable and give me better access to expandability, but clearly this is an area I'm not an expert on.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

If they count that against your bandwidth cap then your ISP really doesn't know what they're doing.

The main concern would be making sure that your wireless network is good enough to handle all the streaming.

In the case of buying a NAS it's a pretty good idea to build your own instead of buying something that's underpowered and prebuilt. I would recommend running Plex Media Server on a NAS if you build it, so you can stream media easily and intuitively.

Sig under construction.

Yes a NAS would fix your problem. I run a NAS currently and it's used as central storage for my desktop, laptop, and phone. If the media is within the local network, it does not affect data usage from your ISP.

Depending on how you want to set it up, NASes can be difficult.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Using a NAS won't touch your monthly allowance as long as you don't access it outside of your local network.

All you need is a wireless router and a NAS connected to it, the router will assign it an IP which your other local machines can use to access the files.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

My family and I use both the TV and our respective PCs, Laptops, Mobile devices to watch, download/stream whatever we happen to be into at the time. Same as most people.

However I find the process of having to use USB drives or External HDDs to move media between the TV or PCs just so it can be used elsewhere is becoming more and more tedious.

Just wondering would setting up a NAS fix this so that everything could be stored and accessed from the one point? From my brief search I think it could as multiple places said they can be accessed remotely, but I wasn't certain if streaming Media to a device that isn't directly connected by cable and there for using a Wi-Fi type connection would chew through our Monthly data allowance from our ISP?

Assuming that being a local network means it doesn't use internet data to access it, just a wireless signal is there a recommended prebuilt NAS, or a recommended set up I can build to accomplish this? I feel like building my own would be more enjoyable and give me better access to expandability, but clearly this is an area I'm not an expert on.

Linus posted a video on vessel today about making a NAS and Gaming PC in one tower using Unraid. You might want to see that when it comes to youtube next week

Linus posted a video on vessel today about making a NAS and Gaming PC in one tower using Unraid. You might want to see that when it comes to youtube next week

Oh really, thanks. I'll give it a watch, I built my own gaming pc not all that long ago, so maybe I can just make a few changes?

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz | MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Hero | RAM: G.Skill Trident 16GB DDR3-2400 | Graphics: EVGA GTX980 Superclocked

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Black 2TB / WD Green 4TB | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

If they count that against your bandwidth cap then your ISP really doesn't know what they're doing.

The main concern would be making sure that your wireless network is good enough to handle all the streaming.

In the case of buying a NAS it's a pretty good idea to build your own instead of buying something that's underpowered and prebuilt. I would recommend running Plex Media Server on a NAS if you build it, so you can stream media easily and intuitively.

Okay, ill build my own if it comes to it. Is Plex Media Server just a downloadable program or ??? and do I go with WD Red's for drives?

Yes a NAS would fix your problem. I run a NAS currently and it's used as central storage for my desktop, laptop, and phone. If the media is within the local network, it does not affect data usage from your ISP.

Depending on how you want to set it up, NASes can be difficult.

I only want it for use in the house, so that should be fine

Using a NAS won't touch your monthly allowance as long as you don't access it outside of your local network.

All you need is a wireless router and a NAS connected to it, the router will assign it an IP which your other local machines can use to access the files.

Sweet, thanks