Upgrading from an AMD FX-8350 to I5 4690k

Jerahmy
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,

Here's a reliable source that will tell you if it's worth upgrading, just listen what he has to say cause he switched from FX-8350 @4,8gHz to i7-3770k @4,8gHz (everyday use)

Hello!

I currently have the AMD FX-8350 CPU. I am wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the I5 4690k? Also would it be good for stream/recording? How much longer will the I5 4690k be good for these actions? 

Thank you,

Jerahmy

Not really worth it, in fact for some streaming/video editing/rendering the 8350 could edge out the 4690k. Maybe Xeon E3-1231v3 would be within your price range? At least it's hyperthreaded

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

If u are getting a new motherboard too might as well get the 6600k amirite

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

If u are getting a new motherboard too might as well get the 6600k amirite

it would be a lot more expensive. 

@OP a Xeon 1231v3 would be a good upgrade. 

The single threaded performance of the 4690k crushes the 8350 and even in a vast majority of multithreaded loads (like gaming) it still wins. Check for various benchmarks online, but the story is pretty much the same.

I would say to wait a bit longer for the 6600k to come down in price if possible, though. That, or find someone in retail that knows whats up

Hello!

I currently have the AMD FX-8350 CPU. I am wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the I5 4690k? Also would it be good for stream/recording? How much longer will the I5 4690k be good for these actions? 

Thank you,

Jerahmy

You wanna stream and record go for I7 because those things can use those extra threads. Save up a little longer. I'm on a 3 yo I7 with NO need to upgrade or even OC.

You would Have to upgrade your mobo. I would go with a z170 build since its the low end ddr4 spectrum. I would go 6500 but you loose overclocking so if you want it go 6600k.

Here's a reliable source that will tell you if it's worth upgrading, just listen what he has to say cause he switched from FX-8350 @4,8gHz to i7-3770k @4,8gHz (everyday use)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Thank you everyone for commenting! 

The reason I am wanting to upgrade my CPU is because, for some reason, I get low FPS in games when I shouldn't be. For example, in CSGO I get 100-130 FPS (When I should get me). In Dayz (MOD) I get 20fps. For my last example, in ARMA 3, its not even play-able. Does anyone know what might cause this? Any fixes? If so, then I might just say up for an I7. If I can't find any fixes I need to upgrade my CPU. 

Thanks, 

Jerahmy

Thank you everyone for commenting!

The reason I am wanting to upgrade my CPU is because, for some reason, I get low FPS in games when I shouldn't be. For example, in CSGO I get 100-130 FPS (When I should get me). In Dayz (MOD) I get 20fps. For my last example, in ARMA 3, its not even play-able. Does anyone know what might cause this? Any fixes? If so, then I might just say up for an I7. If I can't find any fixes I need to upgrade my CPU.

Thanks,

Jerahmy

The games you mentioned are CPU bound so yes the only way to increase performance is upgrade your CPU. I switched from a 8320 to a 4690k and love it, no regrets. Only thing I regret is buyin the FX in the first place. Definitely go for an i5 or i7

The games you mentioned are CPU bound so yes the only way to increase performance is upgrade your CPU. I switched from a 8320 to a 4690k and love it, no regrets. Only thing I regret is buyin the FX in the first place. Definitely go for an i5 or i7

May I ask, did you have an AMD FX-8350? If you did, was it worth the switch from AMD to Intel?

May I ask, did you have an AMD FX-8350? If you did, was it worth the switch from AMD to Intel?

I had the 8320. And yes it was. Sell the FX get Intel

At this point, with Zen and Icelake coming, just wait for 14nm refinement rather than being an "early adopter" and suffering from it since in the form of Zen you could be looking at a 8350 with the IPC of a 4690K and double the cores

I had the 8320. And yes it was. Sell the FX get Intel

Not yet

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6