A lot of blue screens.

Hello.

So, I've had this problem with my pc for a while now and I just have no idea what the problem might be anymore. Ive tried posting on different sites but no one answered. 

Here is the problem every time my pc has been shut down for longer then an hour, the next boot up will end up in a blue screen displaying a different error code each time. Here are is few ive seen.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Sometimes the blue screen will happen 10 minutes after it has fully started sometimes right after i log in. 

Here are my specs. 

• CPU                    Intel Core i5-4440 3.10 GHZ

• Motherboard     Asus H87M-PLUS

• RAM                   2 4gb sticks of Corsair DDR3 vengance ram

• GPU                   Asus strix R9 390

• Case                  Fractal Design Core 1000

• Storage             Samsung 850 evo 250 gb, 500GB Seagate ST500DM002, and a 1 tb external

• PSU                   Corsair CS750M

• Display(s)         samsung syncmaster S24b350t

• Cooling             No extra added  :P

• Keyboard          Logitech g19

• Mouse               Roccat kone military edition desert storm

• Sound               Audio Technica ath-m50x

• Operating System Windows 10 64 bit professional.

plz halp :(

Ok, try this:

1.  Turn off your PC. 

2.  Take one stick of RAM out and leave one in the first slot.

3.  Start up your PC and see if it blue screens.

4.  Then do it all over again with the other stick in the PC.

Fastest way to determine if you have a bad stick of RAM.

Ok, try this:

1.  Turn off your PC. 

2.  Take one stick of RAM out and leave one in the first slot.

3.  Start up your PC and see if it blue screens.

4.  Then do it all over again with the other stick in the PC.

Fastest way to determine if you have a bad stick of RAM.

Didnt crash with either of the sticks.

Didnt crash with either of the sticks.

How long did you have each one in?  You should wait the length of time that it usually takes to get one of your BSODs.  Just keep a single one in and wait for a crash.  If it does not crash in about 24 hours (assuming you are on your PC at least a few hours), then try the next one.

Open multiple tabs/browser windows.  Run a video and surf the net a bit.  Firefox always kicks out errors when my RAM starts failing.  It is a symptom I have gotten to know well.

Honestly, your symptoms sound like a critical error in a sector of RAM... I have had this a few times.  This is a guess on my part, don't think it is anything else.

How long did you have each one in?  You should wait the length of time that it usually takes to get one of your BSODs.  Just keep a single one in and wait for a crash.  If it does not crash in about 24 hours (assuming you are on your PC at least a few hours), then try the next one.

Open multiple tabs/browser windows.  Run a video and surf the net a bit.  Firefox always kicks out errors when my RAM starts failing.  It is a symptom I have gotten to know well.

Honestly, your symptoms sound like a critical error in a sector of RAM... I have had this a few times.  This is a guess on my part, don't think it is anything else.

So I tried the first stick of ram and it crashed the next morning after the pc was shut down for the night, as usual. So ill try the other stick now. 

The error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

So I tried the first stick of ram and it crashed the next morning after the pc was shut down for the night, as usual. So ill try the other stick now. 

The error was PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Yup, hopefully you won't get any crashes with the other stick.

Yup, hopefully you won't get any crashes with the other stick.

I tried the other stick and it still crashed. The error message was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 

I tried the other stick and it still crashed. The error message was SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 

Damn, I was hoping this would be easy/quick to solve.

There is a decent chance both sticks are bad as they are made in the same "batch"  I have had multiple bad kits(same brand/model) from the same store.  They were both bad (maybe it was even three sets).  They now sit in a drawer many years later, one completely gone, the other kicking out errors. 

If you happen to have any old DDR 3 RAM lying around, I would try a stick of that.  It might be the motherboard's DIMM slots, maybe not.

You can try for the GPU next.  Remove the GPU and run the PC off of the iGPU.  See if that stops the crashing.

You can go through your Device Manager and look for any unknown devices listed.  If there are any find out what they are and install the right drivers for them.  If you are lucky(kind of unlucky too as software issues are harder to find sometimes), the issue might be related to a bad driver.  This is a long shot though, but very possible.

You are going to have to use your brain on this one.  :(   Sorry I don't have a quick fix for you.

Note: I would remove all the drives except the boot drive (I assume it is the SSD). 

Note Part II:  I still think it is the RAM.  ;)

Damn, I was hoping this would be easy/quick to solve.

There is a decent chance both sticks are bad as they are made in the same "batch"  I have had multiple bad kits(same brand/model) from the same store.  They were both bad (maybe it was even three sets).  They now sit in a drawer many years later, one completely gone, the other kicking out errors. 

If you happen to have any old DDR 3 RAM lying around, I would try a stick of that.  It might be the motherboard's DIMM slots, maybe not.

You can try for the GPU next.  Remove the GPU and run the PC off of the iGPU.  See if that stops the crashing.

You can go through your Device Manager and look for any unknown devices listed.  If there are any find out what they are and install the right drivers for them.  If you are lucky(kind of unlucky too as software issues are harder to find sometimes), the issue might be related to a bad driver.  This is a long shot though, but very possible.

You are going to have to use your brain on this one.  :(   Sorry I don't have a quick fix for you.

Note: I would remove all the drives except the boot drive (I assume it is the SSD). 

Note Part II:  I still think it is the RAM.  ;)

Well I dont know what to tell you. Id guess its the mother board cause the only things that i havent changed on this computer are the case, the motherboard and the cpu everything else has been changed since it originally started doing start up blue screens. I might gotten unlucky twice with the ram so ill just probably get a single 8gb stick. see if that solves it. 

Before i do that I will still try all the things you suggested. 

Thanks for the help regardless <3

Well I dont know what to tell you. Id guess its the mother board cause the only things that i havent changed on this computer are the case, the motherboard and the cpu everything else has been changed since it originally started doing start up blue screens. I might gotten unlucky twice with the ram so ill just probably get a single 8gb stick. see if that solves it. 

Before i do that I will still try all the things you suggested. 

Thanks for the help regardless <3

With the problem RAM I had, I thought it was the mobo as well.  It was not, it was the RAM.  Anyways, all the best.  Ask questions, I will help if I can.

You error descriptions are what lead me to think it is your memory.  Just google each one and read up on why it happens, you will see a trend.  That should help you narrow it down.

You can use Windows Event Viewer to see all the errors, but this little program is easy to use (Scroll down to the download):  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

With the problem RAM I had, I thought it was the mobo as well.  It was not, it was the RAM.  Anyways, all the best.  Ask questions, I will help if I can.

You error descriptions are what lead me to think it is your memory.  Just google each one and read up on why it happens, you will see a trend.  That should help you narrow it down.

You can use Windows Event Viewer to see all the errors, but this little program is easy to use (Scroll down to the download):  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

One thing i should mention is that sometimes after the blue screen it gives me the black screen saying overclocking failed, its really weird cause i dont have anything overclocked. 

Does that tell you something?

One thing i should mention is that sometimes after the blue screen it gives me the black screen saying overclocking failed, its really weird cause i dont have anything overclocked. 

Does that tell you something?

WTF?  =D

I would check the clock speeds of the CPU and GPU.  You CPU maxes at around 3.3GHz-3.35GHz and the GPU 1050MHz.  Stress them if you need to, but an easier way would be to go into the bios and see if anyone has change the BCLK for the CPU.

The GPU is factory overclocked.

WTF?  =D

I would check the clock speeds of the CPU and GPU.  You CPU maxes at around 3.3GHz-3.35GHz and the GPU 1050MHz.  Stress them if you need to, but an easier way would be to go into the bios and see if anyone has change the BCLK for the CPU.

The GPU is factory overclocked.

WELL one thing that has always pissed me off was that the mother board automatically sets the ram at 1333 even though its 1600 so ive set it manually to 1600 BUT even when i leave that alone the pc crashes.  

WELL one thing that has always pissed me off was that the mother board automatically sets the ram at 1333 even though its 1600 so ive set it manually to 1600 BUT even when i leave that alone the pc crashes.  

Make sure X.M.P. is enabled in the bios.

Make sure X.M.P. is enabled in the bios.

It was enabled this hole time. Because I did read somewhere that that might fix it. :/

I have looked this up ALOT before i posted here so yea >.<

It was enabled this hole time. Because I did read somewhere that that might fix it. :/

I have looked this up ALOT before i posted here so yea >.<

Have you tried setting the specified RAM timings without enabled X.M.P? Sometimes specific motherboard+RAM combinations don't play well with automated settings.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Have you tried setting the specified RAM timings without enabled X.M.P? Sometimes specific motherboard+RAM combinations don't play well with automated settings.

Gonna try that now

Still crashed. Still waiting on the new stick of ram ;/

Still crashed. Still waiting on the new stick of ram ;/

So you already identified a bad stick? Keep us updated if the new stick fixed it. If not, we can surely try some more stuff.

So you already identified a bad stick? Keep us updated if the new stick fixed it. If not, we can surely try some more stuff.

I havent identified the bad stick i just assume that they are both bad. So Ill just be trying that :P

I havent identified the bad stick i just assume that they are both bad. So Ill just be trying that :P

Warranty on RAM is usually really good.  I traded in my two 8GB sticks (for a brand new set) with Patriot after 2.5 years.  They started kicking out critical errors, well one of them was.

But you did run memtest for an extendend period of time right? (Like 12+ hours)

It might not be your RAM it could just be a bad install of windows. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

It might not be your RAM it could just be a bad install of windows. 

I highly doubt that since ive reinstalled windows on this machine like 4 times. 

But you did run memtest for an extendend period of time right? (Like 12+ hours)

I did run it for a short time before and it didnt show any errors. I will run it for an extended period though. 

Warranty on RAM is usually really good.  I traded in my two 8GB sticks (for a brand new set) with Patriot after 2.5 years.  They started kicking out critical errors, well one of them was.

Problem with that is that. The ram i have now was a gift I got from the UK. I assume to replace ram i have to return to the bought store?

I highly doubt that since ive reinstalled windows on this machine like 4 times. 

I did run it for a short time before and it didnt show any errors. I will run it for an extended period though. 

Problem with that is that. The ram i have now was a gift I got from the UK. I assume to replace ram i have to return to the bought store?

No you can return RAM to the manufacturer i.e. corsair, G Skill etc. You will need to visit their site and find the RMA section and go through the process.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd