Where the linux users at

Used to roll Arch on Desktop, Laptop and Server but y'know what is better than a constant stream of updates: Stability. I now run same old Arch on my desktop because it's fun to mess with but stock Ubuntu on my Laptop and Ubuntu Server on my NAS. Quite happy with my network at this point.

On DEs:

* Heavily customised i3 on the desktop

* Unity on the laptop (16.04 is really quite nice)

Edited by Half-Shot

I'm still using Ubuntu and Mint. I have been using the latest LTS Ubuntu more lately though because it seems to be better than it was in 12.04 by like a million. I've run out of sata ports...otherwise I'd still have my other Linux drives hooked up and fiddled with. :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 hours ago, Albatross said:
2 hours ago, Albatross said:

I'm still using Ubuntu and Mint. I have been using the latest LTS Ubuntu more lately though because it seems to be better than it was in 12.04 by like a million. I've run out of sata ports...otherwise I'd still have my other Linux drives hooked up and fiddled with. :D

I'm still using Ubuntu and Mint. I have been using Ubuntu more lately though because it seems to be better than it was in 12.04 by like a million. I've run out of sata ports...otherwise I'd still have my other Linux drives hooked up and fiddled with. :D

I was using arch for ages on my laptop because... neckbeard? I went back to ubuntu last week and it's good, really good.

If you like the current LTS, wait until you see 16.04. I've been using the alpha and it's just fantastic.

I'm running Arch linux on both my desktop, laptop and VPS. 

Only my RPi still runs Raspbian.

DE: XFCE4.

And if I feel like it Openbox.

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780

2 hours ago, Half-Shot said:

I was using arch for ages on my laptop because... neckbeard? I went back to ubuntu last week and it's good, really good.

If you like the current LTS, wait until you see 16.04. I've been using the alpha and it's just fantastic.

I'm sure you used Arch for something else. :P

What's changed? Do you experience a lot of crashes etc? Also, I hate having to upgrade to the new LTS because upgrades always bork my install. It makes me do a fresh install, which means reinstalling all of my applications. Ugh. But oh well, totally worth it to use Linux. <33

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

4 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I'm sure you used Arch for something else. :P

What's changed? Do you experience a lot of crashes etc? Also, I hate having to upgrade to the new LTS because upgrades always bork my install. It makes me do a fresh install, which means reinstalling all of my applications. Ugh. But oh well, totally worth it to use Linux. <33

I used Arch on my laptop for 3 years mainly because I wanted to use the latest Gnome and I had the dreaded intel+nvidia combo, so I needed to do some tweaks to make it work right. I'm now in Uni and my laptop was constantly having little issues such as not updating the kernel and the nvidia card just not even playing ball. I gave Ubuntu 16.04 a shot and everythings just...worked. The UI is smooth, the applications are the ones I use anyway and I am a bit of a fan of the Ubuntu purple orange thing. :P

I guess the problem with LTS releases is they are 2 years apart which might be nothing for a Windows release, but it's a huge jump in Linux development.

Oh and I still use Arch on my desktop because I do a lot of scripting and messing around (+ I do AMD open source driver testing for some folks) so there is certainly room for both on my desk.

5 minutes ago, KaasKop said:

I'm running Arch linux on both my desktop, laptop and VPS. 

Only my RPi still runs Raspbian.

DE: XFCE4.

And if I feel like it Openbox.

My dream is to make my own complete DM with openbox and a bunch of apps, but to do it right I would need a week at least.

Yesterday I started up my barely kicking laptop, which has Windows 7, to do some testing between EAC and CDParanoia.  I was kind of surprised how even Windows 7 feels kind of clunky to me now, only after a month on Mint.

I use CentOS and Debian for my servers, Fedora for my x86 machines, and Ubuntu/Raspbian for my ARM devices.

-KuJoe

On 12/17/2015 at 9:43 PM, allison1derland said:

I'm curious, what is the difference between different linux OSs since anyone can install the same desktop environment on top of most of them?  For example, what is the difference between ubuntu with GNOME, fedora with GNOME, Arch with GNOME, and Mint with GNOME?  Is it just the prepackaged applications and the vocabulary used within the terminal?  I understand that they refer to different repositories.  But for the end user sitting at the computer watching youtube, what is the difference between these and any other OS when the DE can be the same across them all?

In my opinion, (strictly speaking) a different distro is should be when the ditribution method of the packages changes. i.e. the package manager the distro uses. For Debian it is apt-get / aptitude with Ubuntu experimentally using snappy , Fedora uses yum, an rpm derivative, and so do similars like Red Hat (rpm), openSUSE (zypp) and then most noticeable Arch Linux which from scratch made 'pacman'.

So GNOME with the different distros won't feel very different but under the hood, the upgrading of packages and installing of software is very different when using different distros. You notice when doing so from the command line.

Examples: updating on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint -> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

updating on Arch Linux -> pacman -Syu

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

On 2/5/2016 at 7:09 AM, casualgamer said:

Fellow Arch user here!

I'm using Arch on my laptop as an only OS and in a VM on my desktop which has Win10. Nice to see that there are more and more linux users. 

What DE do you use? Or do you prefer WMs? :D

Also Arch!

I am actually building a PC and want to have only Arch on it. Currently I have a dual boot but I am thinking of having a win10 vm instead. How was that set up for you? Win10 vm for gaming mostly... thoughts? I made a post! pls share your opinion!

I use xdm-archlinux for the display manager and xfce4 for DE with Xmonad as window manager. It's fkn beautiful but tough to set up.... I'm still working out some kinks :P

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

5 hours ago, VicBar said:

I am actually building a PC and want to have only Arch on it. Currently I have a dual boot but I am thinking of having a win10 vm instead. How was that set up for you? Win10 vm for gaming mostly... thoughts? I made a post! pls share your opinion!

I'm actually having Arch in a VM inside Windows not the other way around. Since I need software that's available on Windows only and also games that work natively on Windows I decided to have Arch in a VM instead.

On my laptop I use only Arch and setting steam up was a bit of a pain (it doesn't really work well for me) but I don't use my laptop much for gaming anyways.

On 12/12/2015 at 8:30 PM, Jedi said:

The only funny thing about the comic strip at the bottom is how blatantly it misrepresents Linux. 

Linux Mint has fantastic out of box support as does Ubuntu, to name a couple. Secondly, the only "compiling" you're going to be doing is if you're compiling your own Kernel for a distribution like Gentoo, in which case... yeah, it can be complete hell; however, to show Linux as a whole being as difficult as it is to set up a particular distro is stupid.

EDIT: I am using Arch Linux. It is lovely.

Come on, it was hilarious! And yes, you are right. I use Ubuntu mostly, but Linux Mint and many others have come and gone on my machines and I have only rarely experienced a losing battle with Linux. Of course, for those times I just gave up and put my Suse, Ubuntu, or Fedora disk in and went back to the basics... Worked just fine!

Never tell me the odds.” Followed by:  “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.” Which leads to:  “It’s a trap!”

Kubuntu checking in. Just made the switch on my laptop last week, and it was probably the best decision I've made. I'm going to be installing Arch on a seperate HDD (because I still need Windows for gaming) in my main rig because I want a challenge, or maybe just Kubuntu if I royally screw something in Arch.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Kali Linux for the win! Endless amount of problems and compatibility issues, but it's really entertaining to tinker with the system files to fix stuff.

Also, perfect for pentesting 

Computer Case: NZXT S340 || CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 || Cooler: CM Hyper212 Evo || MoBo: MSI B350 Mortar || RAM Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200MHz || PSU: Corsair CX600 || SSD: HyperX Fury 120GB & 240GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB + 1TB 2.5'' backup drive || GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

Laptop 1 HP x360 13-u113nl

Laptop Lenovo z50-75 with AMD FX-7500 || OS: Windows 10 / Ubuntu 17.04

DSLR Nikon D5300 w/ 18-105mm lens

I have used a lot of Ubuntu based distros, but right now I started using Fedora dual booting with Win 10 on my laptop. Fedora is great to get in to because its based off of Red Hat that the IT world uses a lot.

CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 7800X3D  Mobo: ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi   RAM: 32 GB(2x16GB) G.Skill Flare X6 EXPO@ 6000MHz  GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Edition AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini  PSU: Corsair RM1000e  SSD: Team Group MP34 4TB PCIe 4 NVME, Mushkin REACTOR 960GB, Patriot Torch LE 960GB  Cooling: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (PS120SE) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonau & 9x Thermalright TL-C12 PRO 120mm

Update on my post from two days ago: I tried Kubuntu first and had no luck. I just couldn't sign in. Gave up on that, installed Ubuntu, that was great except I couldn't get front panel audio working and ended up breaking audio alltogether. I said fuck it, and tried Arch, which ended up being a no-go. Couldn't for the life of me get the partitions right, and when I finally did, I somehow set my keyboard to German (I was following an english guide, wtf), couldn't figure out how to change it back, and gave up again. I'm finally sitting here, running Manjaro KDE edition and loving it. Kubuntu on my laptop is feeling threatened right now...

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Arch + Xfce.