$2000 7.1 speaker system for home theater

piplupgao

Anyways, the joke there for Pip and any future readers that might not know: your room is more important than your speakers. Removing a coffee table from the middle of the room, or moving your bum one cushion over can drastically change what you hear. The most expensive speaker system in the world can't overcome reflecting sound waves.

Anyways, the joke there for Pip and any future readers that might not know: your room is more important than your speakers. Removing a coffee table from the middle of the room, or moving your bum one cushion over can drastically change what you hear. The most expensive speaker system in the world can't overcome reflecting sound waves.

do you happen to know what kind of room would be the best?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

do you happen to know what kind of room would be the best?

A big one. Other than that you gotta add bass traps and sound proofing and stuff, but I don't know specifics. Mr Moose has a fancy room though.

A big one. Other than that you gotta add bass traps and sound proofing and stuff, but I don't know specifics. Mr Moose has a fancy room though.

I mean like shape height material?

!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I mean like shape height material?

The best shape room is NOT a square or rectangle.  To avoid standing waves a room must have no parallel surfaces, This includes the ceiling and floor.  Which is why it is very hard.

Some examples of rooms that have been designed for optimal acoustics:

recstudio.jpg

This is not a fish eye lens, the room actually shapes around to avoid paralel surfaces and the panels hanging from the celieng are each angled to avoid both parralels and they are designed to absorb and reduce reflection.

7-recording-studio.jpg

It's a little hard to see but in this one the ceiling actually curves to prevent the ceiling and floor from being parallel, the timber strips on the far wall are called diffusers, they break up the the mid to higher freq. sound waves which reduces standing waves from adding together.

eatinggirl.jpg

And here you can see if you don't buy the right mixing console it will eat your wife.

right.jpg

This is my theatre, behind the right hand curtain is a carpeted wall. The absorbs the higher freq. and the heavier velvet curtain in front absorbs the mid ranges.

I will post more later I have to go out now.  Please ask any questions you want.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The best shape room is NOT a square or rectangle.  To avoid standing waves a room must have no parallel surfaces, This includes the ceiling and floor.  Which is why it is very hard.

Some examples of rooms that have been designed for optimal acoustics:

recstudio.jpg

This is not a fish eye lens, the room actually shapes around to avoid paralel surfaces and the panels hanging from the celieng are each angled to avoid both parralels and they are designed to absorb and reduce reflection.

7-recording-studio.jpg

It's a little hard to see but in this one the ceiling actually curves to prevent the ceiling and floor from being parallel, the timber strips on the far wall are called diffusers, they break up the the mid to higher freq. sound waves which reduces standing waves from adding together.

eatinggirl.jpg

And here you can see if you don't buy the right mixing console it will eat your wife.

right.jpg

This is my theatre, behind the right hand curtain is a carpeted wall. The absorbs the higher freq. and the heavier velvet curtain in front absorbs the mid ranges.

I will post more later I have to go out now.  Please ask any questions you want.

So any tips to make a room more optimal? Keep things cheap please.

So any tips to make a room more optimal? Keep things cheap please.

Keep your eyes open for carpet off cuts, these can be put behind wall hangings to help absorb high freq.  Curtains don't have to be special material, they only have to be non-stretch and look O.K. 

projector.jpg

In this photo you can see a panel I have hanging between the projector and surround speaker. It is 19mmx39mm pine made into a frame, It is wrapped in crushed panne material and inside the frame is glass wool. You can use just about any form of insulation, Dacron is cheap. Hanging these right next to the speaker stops the sound reflections from the speaker, this means that at the listening position I hear mainly the original audio and hardly any echos. Which I believe is very important for surround as the audio is already mastered with a certain amount of delay and reverb added to make it sound right.

Another cheap option are rugs converted to wall hangings.

The following two sound clips are before and after I treated my room.  Please excuse my skillzorz on the guitar, I just mess around. These were just quick recordings I did to demonstrate room treatment.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-moose-2/beforetreatment1

https://soundcloud.com/dr-moose-2/aftertreatment

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Keep your eyes open for carpet off cuts, these can be put behind wall hangings to help absorb high freq.  Curtains don't have to be special material, they only have to be non-stretch and look O.K. 

projector.jpg

In this photo you can see a panel I have hanging between the projector and surround speaker. It is 19mmx39mm pine made into a frame, It is wrapped in crushed panne material and inside the frame is glass wool. You can use just about any form of insulation, Dacron is cheap. Hanging these right next to the speaker stops the sound reflections from the speaker, this means that at the listening position I hear mainly the original audio and hardly any echos. Which I believe is very important for surround as the audio is already mastered with a certain amount of delay and reverb added to make it sound right.

Another cheap option are rugs converted to wall hangings.

The following two sound clips are before and after I treated my room.  Please excuse my skillzorz on the guitar, I just mess around. These were just quick recordings I did to demonstrate room treatment.

https://soundcloud.com/dr-moose-2/beforetreatment1

https://soundcloud.com/dr-moose-2/aftertreatment

One edge of my room is open any suggestions to deal with that and what are your thoughts on sound dampening foam?

One edge of my room is open any suggestions to deal with that and what are your thoughts on sound dampening foam?

Gotta pic? 

Sound damping foam is good, I have just avoided it because carpet and curtains was cheaper + if you cover your entire wall you don't need to paint :D

Gotta pic?

Sound damping foam is good, I have just avoided it because carpet and curtains was cheaper + if you cover your entire wall you don't need to paint :D

The room I'm using is the area marked entertainment area btw

post-22146-0-07259300-1382846712.jpgpost-22146-0-17580500-1382846788.jpg

Wow, awkward room  to setup a theatre in.

where do you want the screen?

After skimming this thread I notice no one asked what feature set you are looking for.

Firstly speakers are extremely subjective so just because someone tells you one brand is good, doesn't mean you will like the way they sound. Room acoustics will play a big factor in how things sound as well.

Second, what gimmicks do you want/need on your receiver? How many devices will you hooking up? Are you looking to possibly expand to 9.1/11.1 in the future? Are you going to be setting up traditional 7.1 or are you going to supplement rears in favor of front heights or front wides? Do you want things like airplay or wifi? These are just some of the things to consider, there is so much to research.

My recommendation for brands (demo at a local store if possible)

Speakers: B&W, Monitor Audio, Energy, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Kef.

Receiver: Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz.

For subs internet direct is the way to go, I would look at Rythmik, HSU, and SVS. Internet direct is best bang for buck as they offer better performance than standard speaker brands at roughly the same price. However demo is probably not an option unless the company offers 30 day in home trial (as some do), but you will have to pay return shipping if you decide not to keep it. Note with subs 8" and 10" are considered more for music, 12"+ is home theater. Also adding more than one sub may be necessary for larger rooms and it looks like yours is due to the fact its open and leads into other areas of your home. It may not be, but if you find you are lacking umph, this is the most likely reason. Also keep in mind subs don't need to be matched to the same speaker brand like speakers should be.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

After skimming this thread I notice no one asked what feature set you are looking for.

Firstly speakers are extremely subjective so just because someone tells you one brand is good, doesn't mean you will like the way they sound. Room acoustics will play a big factor in how things sound as well.

Second, what gimmicks do you want/need on your receiver? How many devices will you hooking up? Are you looking to possibly expand to 9.1/11.1 in the future? Are you going to be setting up traditional 7.1 or are you going to supplement rears in favor of front heights or front wides? Do you want things like airplay or wifi? These are just some of the things to consider, there is so much to research.

For subs internet direct is the way to go, I would look at Rythmik, HSU, and SVS. Internet direct is best bang for buck as they offer better performance than standard speaker brands at roughly the same price. However demo is probably not an option unless the company offers 30 day in home trial (as some do), but you will have to pay return shipping if you decide not to keep it. Note with subs 8" and 10" are considered more for music, 12"+ is home theater. Also adding more than one sub may be necessary for larger rooms and it looks like yours is due to the fact its open and leads into other areas of your home. It may not be, but if you find you are lacking umph, this is the most likely reason. Also keep in mind subs don't need to be matched to the same speaker brand like speakers should be.

This is good advice, Only thing I'd add is that if you do get a second sub, make sure it has a phase switch/control or some sort of delay. This will help to tune it to the room so you do not get wave cancellation at the listening area.

Wow, awkward room  to setup a theatre in.

where do you want the screen?

the screen will be by the closets

I will hook up 4 devices at most.

no 9.1

traditional 7.1 (might add a sub)

And any suggestions for dealing with the open side

I will hook up 4 devices at most.

no 9.1

traditional 7.1 (might add a sub)

And any suggestions for dealing with the open side

Yeah, just let it go.  With no walls there you have no reflections to worry about.  On the other side you have curtains already? if so then that takes care of most of it.  The rest isn't worth planing until you have a system in you don't like how it sounds or you can take measurements.

And can someone make a list of everything I will need/want to have

Well its up to you to decide what equipment you want to use.

However, I would suggest a pair of towers for front left/right, a center channel, and 2 pairs of bookshelf for sides and rear. Buy the same brand of speaker and more specifically the same line, do not mix and match brands/lines. If you do, you will not have a perfect tonal match.

Get a 12" sub because your room is on the large side. The sub does not need to match the same speaker brand.

7.1 receivers are a dime a dozen, pick one with the features that are most important to you. Most of them have everything you could possibly want and then some. Denon and Onkyo I would recommend you look at their mid range ($500+) models.

You will also need cables and speaker wire. Speaker wire I suggest 14AWG, you will probably need 200ft or so. Buy all wires and cables at Monoprice.com, anywhere else you are getting ripped off.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

You will also need cables and speaker wire. Speaker wire I suggest 14AWG, you will probably need 200ft or so. Buy all wires and cables at Monoprice.com, anywhere else you are getting ripped off.

Unless you use Amazon Prime and appreciate the fast shipping.  ^_^

Yamaha 7.2 receiver: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V675-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00B981F1U/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1377563884&sr=8-6&keywords=7.1+reciever

Center channel: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES25CBK-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00166VDKS/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Subwoofer (buy two): http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES250PBK-High-Performance-12-Inch-Subwoofer/dp/B00166ZFSO/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Side channels (buy 3 pairs): http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES30BK-3-Way-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00167341S/ref=pd_sim_e_9

Total ~ $1730

You can replace front Left and Right with a floor standing speaker for $300 on top of the above total. You can add a subwoofer to each channel for a total of about $3330.

Something along these lines is my dream setup - I trust JBL to sound great for the price on past experience with their products.

Why can't he ask this here?

wow nice pick ups i would prefer Focal but JBL is my second choice :o

wow nice pick ups i would prefer Focal but JBL is my second choice :o

All good speakers sound the same, I just made a list of what was easiest for me to find.

All good speakers sound the same, I just made a list of what was easiest for me to find.

of course but i trust Focal so far due support and warranty, is like graphics card tho

tumblr_ltexn5wAAx1r4ftcko1_500.gif

Please send pics when you're done.

Will probably be in december