Is calc needed for minoring in computer science/programming?

I depends on what you're going to coding, I really doubt you need calc though.

I depends on what you're going to coding, I really doubt you need calc though.

Coding/programming is applying mathematical concepts (read: Calculus and other mathematics like it) to solve problems via software. 

I mean, I am sure you can find a way to do it without taking Calculus, but I will be honest: You will find it hard and likely not enjoy your job if you do not enjoy math/Calculus. 

Unless you enjoy one type of math but not others (Algebra vs Calculus or some other similar situation). Then you can just specialize. 

Eh, up to you.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Calculus is a valuable math IMO. So I would take it. What's your major?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Calculus was mandatory for a degree when I went through.  Many advance concepts involve needing the basic understanding of mathematics (Image compression involves simple math, but to understand why it works you need to understand about the properties of cosine)

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

It depends on the college. Many colleges do require certain math classes for a programming major or minor, but sometimes it's a statistics class instead of a calc class. You likely will need to take it though.

CPU: Intel 3570k (4.3) MOBO: Asrock z77 extreme6 GPU: Gigabyte Windforce HD 7970 RAM: 4x4 Gb Samsung Ultra Low Profile DDR3-1600mhz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (Boot), 3TB Seagate Barracuda Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (black)  PSU: Corsair TX750M  Peripherals: Rosewill

rk-9000, Gigabyte M8000x, Sennheiser PX 200-II, Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 1080p TN panel

Easy answer.

-> You don't (assuming you don't do a program like MathLab or someway. To some extent physics too, if you decide to work on that later in your career life)

-> But if you can't comprehend calculus 1 and 2, Computer Science, which is primary the logic side of math + the same require level of practice + studying, which is used in the majority of your courses in that program, you 'll have a very hard time passing your classes. Most Universities requires that you know Cal 1 and 2.

-> Linear algebra in the other hand is must if you go in gaming. Everything about DirectX and OpenGL programming is linear algebra, including, but not limited, to stuff like some methods of collision detections.

Easy answer.

-> You don't (assuming you don't do a program like MathLab or someway. To some extent physics too, if you decide to work on that later in your career life)

-> But if you can't comprehend calculus 1 and 2, Computer Science, which is primary the logic side of math + the same require level of practice + studying, which is used in the majority of your courses in that program, you 'll have a very hard time passing your classes. Most Universities requires that you know Cal 1 and 2.

-> Linear algebra in the other hand is must if you go in gaming. Everything about DirectX and OpenGL programming is linear algebra, including, but not limited, to stuff like some methods of collision detections.

Linear algebra is fine for me although i don't enjoy Calc.

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

Most Computer Science programs have all three: Math I, II and III (Differential calculus, Integral calculus and Multivariable calculus) as part of its curriculum. Course numbers will be different, but it's the same general stuff.

Worth learning along with Linear algebra. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I'm a computer science and math major. I just finished Calc 3. I hope it's necessary 8)

Math majors are often coupled with computer science majors so I'm not really anything special :P

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Linear algebra is fine for me although i don't enjoy Calc.

Well are you least half decent in clac? If so, you'll do fine.. assuming you don't have calc 3.

Oh, if you wonder why there is no standard in math class in Computer Science, is because you see, Computer Science is seen by many universities as the first field that is not only a the study of computers algorithms, but also regroup other fields into one... they are even talks of arts due to stuff like gaming... which some universities agrees and others not... of course all looked at a researcher perspective, and if it has any values. Short story: like Software engineer, Computer Science is a mess, because it's a new field. The goal however, for university, is not about preparing you to the work field, but rather prepare you to be a researcher, so each Universities evaluate which math you need differently. And of course, depending on the country or area you are in, you have governmental regulation on required courses... which might be math. Some area, they consider computer science as en engineer, so you have to take engineering math which is completely useless to anything you and soft. Eng. but important for civil, material, mechanical, and so on engineer, just because they don't want to break their head, or know what computer science or software engineer really is. In fact the simple fact of having Soft. Eng and Comp Sci, shows that we have no idea what it is, because they are the same. Technically speaking, soft eng. is suppose to prepare you to be ready to take on any programming language and project with ease, while computer science focuses on algorithmic research and optimization. But in reality, even in research, both are needed.

It depends on if your school and whether of not you will be getting an engineering degree. If you are then you will most likely have to take some calc and physics. I personally am doing comp sci but I'm not getting an engineering degree so I am not required to do more advanced calc (I'm continuing with calc anyway though. :D).

they are even talks of arts due to stuff like gaming...

Can you elaborate more on that? I'm curious.

Yes, calcium is required for bone density.

Not for computer science though.

But no, yes, seriously, calculus is required. :P

I know many programmers that have no clue about calculus, so I would say it is not necessary. That being said, I find it hard to recommend avoiding it. Not taking calculus will just limit what kinds of problems you can solve in the programming world. Things like machine learning (bayesian optimization, neural nets, support vector machines, etc) and physical simulations (geophysical models, weather modelling, game engines, graphics, steady state problems, etc) all require an understanding of various topics in mathematics including, but not limited to calculus, multivariate calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, partial differential equations, complex analysis, to name a few. Though you may feel now that you don't like calculus, your opinion may change with more exposure.

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

well would probably take one but i would advise you to NOT :P

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

I know many programmers that have no clue about calculus, so I would say it is not necessary. That being said, I find it hard to recommend avoiding it. Not taking calculus will just limit what kinds of problems you can solve in the programming world. Things like machine learning (bayesian optimization, neural nets, support vector machines, etc) and physical simulations (geophysical models, weather modelling, game engines, graphics, steady state problems, etc) all require an understanding of various topics in mathematics including, but not limited to calculus, multivariate calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, partial differential equations, complex analysis, to name a few. Though you may feel now that you don't like calculus, your opinion may change with more exposure.

true true right

but remember he says colege

what do they program in college 3d games?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

true true right

but remember he says colege

what do they program in college 3d games?

Depends on the College, and the courses/programs/streams available. And I know he mentioned that he was taking corporate business, which is unrelated to the topics I mentioned, but I was just describing possible use cases. He is JUST entering college. I switched my focus twice during my undergraduate degree, and by the sounds of it, the OP has broad interests too.

| CPU: 2600K @ 4.5 GHz 1.325V | MB: ASUS P8Z68-V pro | GPU: EVGA GTX 480 clk 865/mem 2100 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz CL9 | HDD: Muskin Chronos Deluxe 240GB(win8) && ADATA SX900 120 GB(ubuntu 12.04) | PSU: Seasonic x760 |

I switched my focus twice during my undergraduate degree, and by the sounds of it, the OP has broad interests too.

Not something I'd personally recommend doing, considering how expensive college is, especially in the US. People do that a lot in Canada as well (our tuition is a lot less).

Having broad interests is great, but it's better to be sure about what you really want to do early on. The rest are things you can do in your spare time, or by taking supplementary courses.

Basically answer: "What is the one thing I enjoy doing the most?" - pick that as your major and don't back down. Everything else is secondary.

I have broad interests too. I love Computers and Programming. I love reading and writing. I enjoy arts and crafts (drawing mainly, sewing, etc). Yet I chose Aerospace Engineering early on (9th grade) and have stuck with it - I'm doing a Masters degree in it and I haven't regretted it one bit. I still do all of the above whenever I get spare time. I'm not concerned by career prospects either (sure, it's a demanding field), I chose it because I fell in love the moment I started learning about aircraft and spacecraft.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Thanks for the advice, i guess i have no choice, my weakest subject is math imo, altough i can try harder i guess.

Same here.. initially.

Had to do excessive amount of practice, and now it's no problem.

Not something I'd personally recommend doing, considering how expensive college is, especially in the US. People do that a lot in Canada as well (our tuition is a lot less).

Having broad interests is great, but it's better to be sure about what you really want to do early on. The rest are things you can do in your spare time, or by taking supplementary courses.

Basically answer: "What is the one thing I enjoy doing the most?" - pick that as your major and don't back down. Everything else is secondary.

I have broad interests too. I love Computers and Programming. I love reading and writing. I enjoy arts and crafts (drawing mainly, sewing, etc). Yet I chose Aerospace Engineering early on (9th grade) and have stuck with it - I'm doing a Masters degree in it and I haven't regretted it one bit. I still do all of the above whenever I get spare time. I'm not concerned by career prospects either (sure, it's a demanding field), I chose it because I fell in love the moment I started learning about aircraft and spacecraft.

You make a good point, tuition in the states is expensive and that probably less feasible to change foci. However, I still don't think choosing a field when you are 17 should be what you stick with because that is what you enjoy at the time. You are a special case, you knew what you wanted to do, you stuck with it, and you still enjoy it. I know far more cases of people who chose a scholastic path because they thought that it was the "one thing they enjoyed most" (also, from my experience, had a lot of parental infulence, probably not in your case), and now they are doing something else, or they hate their jobs. Furthermore, when you are 17, you don't necessarily have exposure to all of the possible degree paths available in Uni.

Take me for example. In highschool, I found it kind of boring, and I spent most of my time chasing girls and partying, let alone honing a career path (hence why I did not have a specific direction). Further, I had very little exposure to software and software engineering. I ended up getting an undergraduate degree in Geophysics, which I liked a lot, and found the most interesting at the time. I got a job at a Geophysical Exploration company immediately after Uni and worked there for a year and a half. Over that time, I got more exposure to software in general and building and writing software. I realized that I really enjoyed the subject, not more than Geophysics, but not less. I taught myself how to program, and I ended up going back to school and getting a Master of Software Systems degree. So how can you know what you like most, if you have not had exposure to it?

I am not saying you need to be proffessional in everything you are interested in, I have other interests too: sports, playing guitar, reading, investing, etc. But, I don't think it is reasonable to expect a 17 year old kid to know exactly what he/she wants to do for the rest of his/her life (in most cases). I think that is a major flaw in the education system in general.

I am not saying you need to be proffessional in everything you are interested in, I have other interests too: sports, playing guitar, reading, investing, etc. But, I don't think it is reasonable to expect a 17 year old kid to know exactly what he/she wants to do for the rest of his/her life (in most cases). I think that is a major flaw in the education system in general.

I can agree with that. The education system is flawed.

I personally had plenty of exposure to many different topics in high school (Robotics, Flight, Engineering in general which included plenty of topics from most Engineering disciplines, Computer programming, etc). I also had the choice to pick my own courses in High school, and I specifically tailored it towards my degree, something which I know definitely doesn't happen in the US (first year in college is basically general, where you learn everything that may be useful in just about any major, and you don't choose your major till second year). On some level, that works, but you also end up doing a bunch of courses you'll never use - wasted effort. Not sure how high school works in the US, but from what a few friends told me, they don't really get to select their own courses (correct me if I'm wrong). In Canadian high schools, you choose everything (only a handful are mandatory, rest are optional), giving you more than enough opportunities to learn about almost everything, and certainly enough to make you curious about everything else.

I think one of the problems in high school is the answer to the following question: "How is this useful outside of school?" Most teachers I've heard of are incapable of answering that question. My own teachers in high school (at least a couple of them) were able to apply their teachings to actual, real world examples, and even now, I'm discovering that everything I learned in high school and first year university (with was general Engineering for me, specifically focused on Engineering) is actually useful in the real world (and not restrictive to my career).

I had parental influence too - they wanted me to do Civil Engineering. I took a firm stand against it. I even had to defend my sister's choice of Medicine over Engineering (which is what my parents wanted for her). You have to fight for what you want (ultimately, it's your bread and butter) and work at it, and not let other factors affect that decision.