Headphone stand project

Nup

Hey all, 

So I started this project last year and it's been on hold since - the idea was to use some scraps of leather and old cpus to do something, and that something ended up being a headphone stand. 

It went pretty well, but was never completed, the main issue was that i found no good ways of attaching it to the side of a desk, as originally intended. Which is my main reason for posting, does anyone have any idea/suggestions, any previous experience with mounting and such? 

I know there are quite a few flaws, and revision i'd make, but it was a spur of the moment thing. Any ideas are welcome though. It pains me to see it just sitting there. 

Here's a picture of it as of being nearly finished (minus the pins of course, I have no pictures of it without pins). It's a little big and i dont know know to re-size (yes, yes skrub and all)

jwxol7m.jpg

And a link if you're interested in more of the build's steps. (Don't expect good quality photos :P)

Thanks for reading, - Nup. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Hey all, 

So I started this project last year and it's been on hold since - the idea was to use some scraps of leather and old cpus to do something, and that something ended up being a headphone stand. 

It went pretty well, but was never completed, the main issue was that i found no good ways of attaching it to the side of a desk, as originally intended. Which is my main reason for posting, does anyone have any idea/suggestions, any previous experience with mounting and such? 

I know there are quite a few flaws, and revision i'd make, but it was a spur of the moment thing. Any ideas are welcome though. It pains me to see it just sitting there. 

Here's a picture of it as of being nearly finished (minus the pins of course, I have no pictures of it without pins). It's a little big and i dont know know to re-size (yes, yes skrub and all)

jwxol7m.jpg

And a link if you're interested in more of the build's steps. (Don't expect good quality photos :P)

Thanks for reading, - Nup. 

flip the leather piece, attach it at the edge, dril a hole through the processor, attach with a screw

flip the leather piece, attach it at the edge, dril a hole through the processor, attach with a screw

The leather form the band? It's not visible from any angles that it would be used at. 

I would have liked  to be able to mount and dismount it, that way it could come with me to and from college, and if i can avoid drilling the desk i would like that :3

Thanks no less though, :) A screw type mount could work it its "slottable" 

I've just got a bare screw in my wall holding my headphones  :rolleyes:

Seriously, I didn't even bother with a wall plug, just straight into bare plaster! *living life on the edge*

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Maybe you could make L shaped bracket with holes at the end, glue it to the processor and screw it to the table from bottom ? Just an idea. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

The leather form the band? It's not visible from any angles that it would be used at. 

I would have liked  to be able to mount and dismount it, that way it could come with me to and from college, and if i can avoid drilling the desk i would like that :3

Thanks no less though! 

command strips

for putting it together, just make sure to use a leather sewing needle and some stronger thread.  i would use fishing line, but something like quilting thread should work alright

I've just got a bare screw in my wall holding my headphones  :rolleyes:

Seriously, I didn't even bother with a wall plug, just straight into bare plaster! *living life on the edge*

Haha pretty hardcore alright, no ragrets :P I kid i kid. 

Maybe you could make L shaped bracket with holes at the end, glue it to the processor and screw it to the table from bottom ? Just an idea. :)

I like that idea alright, maybe something for it to slide into from desk to desk. Thanks! 

command strips

for putting it together, just make sure to use a leather sewing needle and some stronger thread.  i would use fishing line, but something like quilting thread should work alright

Ahh i see, yes. I took the lazy route and just glued it with some leather glue :3 I was thinking of adding thread for some more colour/aesthetic. :)

Haha pretty hardcore alright, no ragrets :P I kid i kid. 

I like that idea alright, maybe something for it to slide into from desk to desk. Thanks! 

Ahh i see, yes. I took the lazy route and just glued it with some leather glue :3 I was thinking of adding thread for some more colour/aesthetic. :)

thats probably a workable idea.  do you have more pictures? maybe the other side?

thats probably a workable idea.  do you have more pictures? maybe the other side?

I do yes, here is a link from above https://imgur.com/a/OHBja !

Sure, anytime. :) Or you could go with something like a U bracket so it's supported from the top and bottom and you can take it from desk to desk without any hardware. Question is how stable that would be or how long the beams would have to be to make it stable. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I do yes, here is a link from above https://imgur.com/a/OHBja !

alright.  there really not much of a good way to mount it without a screw.  theres really no flat surface on it, so not many places to put any tape or something.  you could maybe superglue it, but a screw would be a better option at that point

I got it. Why reinvent the wheel. Did you ever saw PC racing wheel mounting they use pretty much just a different c clamp designs. Make one or buy one that suits your needs and you're golden. :)

RCP30.1.JPG

3234033-old-obsolete-iron-c-clamp.jpg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Sure, anytime. :) Or you could go with something like a U bracket so it's supported from the top and bottom and you can take it from desk to desk without any hardware. Question is how stable that would be or how long the beams would have to be to make it stable. :D

How do you mean? I cant picture that :P Its a bit of a rickety design anyway and would be top heavy but yeah, at least it'd get some use. 

alright.  there really not much of a good way to mount it without a screw.  theres really no flat surface on it, so not many places to put any tape or something.  you could maybe superglue it, but a screw would be a better option at that point

Yeah, its pretty awkward.. As i said, i would make it very differently today :P yeah, I have some resin i could use to make a very sturdy hold, especially with the old pins. 

I got it. Why reinvent the wheel. Did you ever saw PC racing wheel mounting they use pretty much just a different c clamp designs. Make one or buy one that suits your needs and you're golden. :)

RCP30.1.JPG

3234033-old-obsolete-iron-c-clamp.jpg

Oooh yeah!! that could work well. I'll be clap shopping so... Quite an obvious idea in the end, like you said :P thnks!  

How do you mean? I cant picture that :P Its a bit of a rickety design anyway and would be top heavy but yeah, at least it'd get some use. 

I meant it like a C clamp design without the clamp and then it came to me. :D

Oooh yeah!! that could work well. I'll be clap shopping so... Quite an obvious idea in the end, like you said :P thnks!  

Yeah pretty much, should of figure it out faster. :D No problem dude. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I meant it like a C clamp design without the clamp and then it came to me. :D

Yeah pretty much, should of figure it out faster. :D No problem dude. :)

Haha yep! :P awesome, i'll be shopping 'round so :) 

Haha yep! :P awesome, i'll be shopping 'round so :)

Little modification here and there, resin it up to the CPU, bam golden. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Yeah, its pretty awkward.. As i said, i would make it very differently today :P yeah, I have some resin i could use to make a very sturdy hold, especially with the old pins. 

i feel like you might want to encase the pins in resin, then you can mount it a bit easier