Ubuntu.. Again..

So ive successfully installed ubuntu along side windows 7, i have made no changes so it, not even a driver install..

so im asking if anybody knows a good place to go to get everything i need after installing ubuntu?

also some good programs & maybe some games that run well? Im using ubuntu for anonymity mostly.. so fire at me what you think! 

Im using ubuntu for anonymity mostly

wrong distro, bro.

anyways.

ubuntu software center is where it's at, as well as installing steam if you're gonna be gaming.

the number of linux compatible games is rising at a steady pace.

wrong distro, bro.

anyways.

ubuntu software center is where it's at, as well as installing steam if you're gonna be gaming.

the number of linux compatible games is rising at a steady pace.

which distro would you recommend? I was told ubuntu was good for it, maybe im wrong about that..

Im going to find a list of games compatible with ubuntu.. Is gaming performance better compared to windows? 

use the cain /kali linux/backbox/tails  for anonymity,  kali linux if you want to do hacking/pirate stuff too

but you must know what you are doing.

The site has changed....

If your wanting to use ubuntu for anonymity you should use a different front end from the default Unity and beyond that the web browser you use, how you use it and a vpn will do more for your anonymity than any underlying OS. Unity collects text typed into the search and sends it to Cannonical in similar fashion to windows search and OS X finder. I'd suggest gnome 3 for newer PCs and LXDE or XFCE for older.

For Gnome 3

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

For LXDE

sudo apt-get install lxde

For XFCE

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

And to Remove the default Unity Desktop

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-default-settingssudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktopsudo apt-get autoremove

There are lots of other options like KDE, Pantheon, Xmonad, OpenBox, etc. I personally use OpenBox, but it's pretty much a build it yourself desktop requiring many other programs to achieve the functionality many expect. It is however extremely lightweight.

You can install any number of these desktop environments at once and try them out by simply selecting them from your login screen.

You should make sure to install the manufacturer made drivers for your graphics if you use AMD or Nvidia if you want decent performance in games. The easiest way in ubuntu is through the additional drivers application.

For closed source games you should install steam or look on GOG. For free open source games there is openttd, battle for wesnoth, warzone 2100, sauerbraten, red eclipse, assault cube, xonotic, warsow and many others

For other software, it will depend on what you intend to do on linux. If you give us an idea of what you use your computer for we can give you better suggestions.

As for people suggesting you use other distros, Ubuntu is fine and a great starter for beginners due to the large community for support in both software and help on forums. If you don't want to dig deep into the terminal and simply want to use linux like the average person would use windows then I'd say stick with ubuntu. If you want to really get to know linux or have specific needs then chances are there's a better distro to fit that purpose. I personally use debian a lot and have used gentoo, slackware, and arch in the past as well as kali when I did pen testing for a while. I've also played around with many other, but not to a great enough extent to really get to know any of them.

If you want to really dive into linux headfirst and I mean deep, then look up how to install gentoo. With gentoo you'll have to compile most of your software from source, but you'll come out the other side with an extremely intimate knowledge of your system and it's inner workings.

If your wanting to use ubuntu for anonymity you should use a different front end from the default Unity and beyond that the web browser you use, how you use it and a vpn will do more for your anonymity than any underlying OS. Unity collects text typed into the search and sends it to Cannonical in similar fashion to windows search and OS X finder. I'd suggest gnome 3 for newer PCs and LXDE or XFCE for older.

For Gnome 3

For LXDE

For XFCE

sudo apt-get purge ubuntu-default-settingssudo apt-get purge ubuntu-desktopsudo apt-get autoremove

There are lots of other options like KDE, Pantheon, Xmonad, OpenBox, etc. I personally use OpenBox, but it's pretty much a build it yourself desktop requiring many other programs to achieve the functionality many expect. It is however extremely lightweight.

You can install any number of these desktop environments at once and try them out by simply selecting them from your login screen.

You should make sure to install the manufacturer made drivers for your graphics if you use AMD or Nvidia. The easiest way in ubuntu is through the additional drivers application.

For closed source games you should install steam or look on GOG. For free open source games there is openttd, battle for wesnoth, warzone 2100, sauerbraten, red eclipse, assault cube, xonotic, warsow and many others

For other software, it will depend on what you intend to do on linux. If you give us an idea of what you use your computer for we can give you better suggestions.

As for people suggesting you use other distros, Ubuntu is fine and a great starter for beginners due to the large community for support in both software and help on forums. If you don't want to dig deep into the terminal and simply want to use linux like the average person would use windows then I'd say stick with ubuntu. If you want to really get to know linux or have specific needs then chances are there's a better distro to fit that purpose. I personally use debian a lot and have used gentoo, slackware, and arch in the past as well as kali when I did pen testing for a while.

Thanks for all this info, itll be a great help!

Im using Ubuntu just to start off with, i recently started working with Unix at my work in an apprenticeship, so im getting to know the ropes a bit, but once im more in depth and had experience through Ubuntu, ill move to a different distro, i do a bit of gaming aswell, and ive been told Ubuntu is pretty good for some games, so im going to find out..

For Gnome 3

For LXDE

For XFCE

You should make sure to install the manufacturer made drivers for your graphics if you use AMD or Nvidia if you want decent performance in games. The easiest way in ubuntu is through the additional drivers application.

As for people suggesting you use other distros, Ubuntu is fine and a great starter for beginners due to the large community for support in both software and help on forums. If you don't want to dig deep into the terminal and simply want to use linux like the average person would use windows then I'd say stick with ubuntu. If you want to really get to know linux or have specific needs then chances are there's a better distro to fit that purpose. I personally use debian a lot and have used gentoo, slackware, and arch in the past as well as kali when I did pen testing for a while. I've also played around with many other, but not to a great enough extent to really get to know any of them.

If you want to really dive into linux headfirst and I mean deep, then look up how to install gentoo. With gentoo you'll have to compile most of your software from source, but you'll come out the other side with an extremely intimate knowledge of your system and it's inner workings.

Also, i mostly use my PC for games, internet browsing and content creation.. but i also use it for programming, practicing scripts, im very into security and i want to know how to make my computer as secure as possible.. I hate to omit to it but i do a lot of pirating (which kinda of puts being secure out the window lol), which is very sketchy with viruses, so im looking at finding the best linux internet security and general security softwares..

Unity collects text typed into the search and sends it to Cannonical in similar fashion to windows search and OS X finder. 

I'm pretty sure you can turn this off in the privacy settings. Although Unity is aging and needs a nice refresh...

Lord of Helium.