How do I critique art (architecture)?

roboplex22

So I'm in a 3D Studio Art class at my high school, and I have to do a research paper on Frank Lloyd Wright, which includes a 5 paragraph critique of one of his buildings. I know the basics of critiquing, but I'm not sure how to put it all together, and how to stretch it out over 5 paragraphs. I LOVE Wright's architecture, and I think I'm going to choose the Guggenheim or Fallingwater. I've got the biography portion down, but just need some advice on how to critique art. Maybe there's some artistically well endowed nerds on this forum who could help me out xD. Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

ask your teacher ?
listen in class ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Just judge it, a critique is just a opinionated paper. Is there something that annoys you about it? Is there something that truly just inspires you about it? Anything that catches your eye can be judged. When she says 5 paragraphs she probably wants an introductory, 3 body paragrpahs, and an ending though that should be obvious. Try not to use the word I though it is permited during a critique, avoiding it shows that the essay is formal.

Example

I like cookies

Cookies are good

Both opinions though one does not use the word I

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Just judge it, a critique is just a opinionated paper. Is there something that annoys you about it? Is there something that truly just inspires you about it? Anything that catches your eye can be judged. When she says 5 paragraphs she probably wants an introductory, 3 body paragrpahs, and an ending though that should be obvious. Try not to use the word I though it is permited during a critique, avoiding it shows that the essay is formal.

Example

I like cookies

Cookies are good

Both opinions though one does not use the word I

I can do the whole "Look at it, what stands out to you, what you like, etc" but she wants us to pull out what the artist was trying to say, what the piece means, etc. That's the part that's troubling me.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz | Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC MATE | GPU: MSI R9 270x | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury Red | Storage: ADATA SP600 128GB / WD Blue 1TB | PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ | Monitor: Acer S220HQL Abd 21.5" | Audio: Logitech Z213 Speakers | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma | PCPartPicker Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v8FNmG

Write it in the style of IGN.

Then at the end, just say "It's like Skyrim without guns. 9/10"

I can do the whole "Look at it, what stands out to you, what you like, etc" but she wants us to pull out what the artist was trying to say, what the piece means, etc. That's the part that's troubling me.

If she is asking you specfic questions it is not a critique it is more or less a Synthesis with critique elements

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I can just imagine the look on my teacher's face xD. I do a 5 paragraph essay on one of the most famous museums in the world, all professional and everything, then at the end go "It's like Skyrim without guns. 10/10 best museum" She'd probably just burst out in laughter; one of the coolest teachers I've ever had.

If she is asking you specfic questions it is not a critique it is more or less a Synthesis with critique elements

It says on the rubric "Describe - 10pts, Analyze - 10pts, Interpret - 10pts, Evaluate - 10pts". So I pretty much have to describe the building, analyze what techniques, styles, properties of art were used, then interpret what the artist was trying to say (I have no idea how xD), then do an actual "critique".

I felt the art was crisp and the artists did a good job of captureing the magnificence of nature , but 7.8/10 too much water

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

It makes absolutely no contribution to this thread at all, but my great-grandfather was one of Frank Lloyd's Wright's biggest financial investor.

He has two houses built by him

Actually: you could talk about the first house, my grandmother's mother didn't like the lack of light, so that was an oversight

the second house was built with several houses (like condos) attached to a main one, so that a family could be connected. Aunt/Uncle in one side, Grandparents in the other, another family in the main one. Connected a whole family.

Idk. Hope I gave you some ideas....?

Shipping sucks

It makes absolutely no contribution to this thread at all, but my great-grandfather was one of Frank Lloyd's Wright's biggest financial investor.

He has two houses built by him

Actually: you could talk about the first house, my grandmother's mother didn't like the lack of light, so that was an oversight

the second house was built with several houses (like condos) attached to a main one, so that a family could be connected. Aunt/Uncle in one side, Grandparents in the other, another family in the main one. Connected a whole family.

Idk. Hope I gave you some ideas....?

Thanks! Are these houses well known, like do they have a Wikipedia page, etc. Or are they private, lesser known? I think she's looking for something "well known".

Thanks! Are these houses well known, like do they have a Wikipedia page, etc. Or are they private, lesser known? I think she's looking for something "well known".

I'm not sure, you'd have a better idea of what "well-known" implies,

just search up "Darwin D. Martin House Complex"

Shipping sucks

I'm not sure, you'd have a better idea of what "well-known" implies,

just search up "Darwin D. Martin House Complex"

I just looked it up. I might do my paper on it! I'll let you know.