A question ONLY Linus can answer

Sammael

@LinusTech

I summon thee, please don't smite me for it!

So this will almost certainly not get a direct response, but maybe someone else here has experienced what Linus has.

34" 3440x1440p displays and 40-43" 4k displays.

Linus gets these displays sent to him for testing, so he more than any other will probably have a better take on which is preferable.

But if given the choice to use a 40-43" 4k display or a widescreen display, which would you choose?

For general use? For Games?  For movies?  For tv content?

Which wins in each category?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Tagging Linus has no effect. He does not have notifications enabled.

Moved to Displays.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I ain't Linus but I'll try to give a none bias view point.

Games and General use Ultrawides all day, they are beautiful and very nice to use. But like 144hz and good headphones, once you are in, its hard to back out.

TV and movies 4k displays will be better due to more support for 16;9 in general. But if you find 21;9 content its pretty good as well.

But its all down to support, 21:9 is none existent in games and some desktop applications before 2010ish.

While 4k is hard to find and hard to render in games and looks stupid in same games.

If you are a average Joe, getting a cheap 1080 21:9 will be enough for a good couple of years. Easien to render, and looks better than 1440p imo. Anything else, it depends.

I would probably take 3440x1440 for everything other than watching TV, movies and so on. Native 4K content on a 4K panel is stunning. 

[removed]

Why do you keep putting up posts asking for Linus' attention?

Edited by Godlygamer23

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Why do you keep putting up posts asking for Linus' attention?

In this case because he has first hand knowledge of using both so on this his insight is probably greater.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

I think I might be more OK with 3440x1440 if they went larger than 34"

Maybe 38 or 40 inches.  Though that might be too large to avoid seeing pixels at that resolution.

I think I might be more OK with 3440x1440 if they went larger than 34"

Maybe 38 or 40 inches.  Though that might be too large to avoid seeing pixels at that resolution.

Do you have a local store where you could see one in person?  I've been using a 3440x1440 34" for about 6 months now and IMO it's the perfect balance of size and resolution for both gaming and general use. 

TV and movies 4k displays will be better due to more support for 16;9 in general. But if you find 21;9 content its pretty good as well.

I thought it's easier to get 21:9 movies rather than 16:9. Because 21:9 is basically the cinema standard.

I use 34" 3440x1440 display, but I don't have any experience on 40"~43" 4k display.

Even if I have given chance to trade my current display to the 4k counterpart and assuming I have powerful enough GPU. There's still one thing that can make me stay away from 4k monitor : 

Do I have to move around me neck when I want to quickly switch from top left corner to bottom right corner from the normal sitting distance? If I sit further back, does it impact on the text readability?

This is especially important when playing game where you need to quickly switch your attention from HUD in one corner to the other corner.

34" is a perfect size for me because I only need to move my eyeballs, not my neck (like I used to do when using dual 22" 16:9 displays).

@LinusTech

I summon thee, please don't smite me for it!

So this will almost certainly not get a direct response, but maybe someone else here has experienced what Linus has.

34" 3440x1440p displays and 40-43" 4k displays.

Linus gets these displays sent to him for testing, so he more than any other will probably have a better take on which is preferable.

But if given the choice to use a 40-43" 4k display or a widescreen display, which would you choose?

For general use? For Games?  For movies?  For tv content?

Which wins in each category?

Add him and private message directly.

blah

yes movies are made in 21:9, but YouTube videos aren't and 99% of the webs content aren't.

it's easier to change the viewing mode to "fit" and watch 21:9 on a 16:9 than it is to live with 2 black bars on the side.

people talk like 4K is the future and it will be, but this soon. The monitor is self is cheap, but to play most modern games at medium just to keep your build under 1000 is not really a good trade off for me.

21:9 looks better and uses better on  desktop and can utilize that curve much better than a 16:9.