Flash Drives in Raid?

Tmt97

So I have an idea. To start with, I have a bunch of flash drives sitting around doing nothing. The other day, I was messing around and managed to put two of them in raid 0. Cool huh? Well then I thought, why stop at two? I have like 8 or 10 flash drives that I could put in raid together. Why would I do this? Because my computer doesn't have an SSD boot drive yet, and I thought in theory, if I were to put enough flash drives in raid, I might be able to get speeds comparable to an actual SSD. I know the obvious drawback is that if one flash drive fails, all the data goes poof, but honestly who cares? I'm running Ubuntu anyway, so if all I have on there is the operating system, its not an issue just to install it again.

My computer has 10 USB ports, so testing this idea isn't an issue, but if I decide to use this, I don't want to lose that many ports. Is there maybe some kind of SATA to USB adapter that I could use?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

youre not the first

usb_duplicator.jpg

Damn... Thats a lot of flash drives...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Damn... Thats a lot of flash drives...

i posted a better picture of a guy from reddit that did it ^^^

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I was hoping to find something like this, but for usb.

4-Micro-SD-to-Micro-SATA-Adapter-RAID-qu

It basically takes four micro sd cards and connects them in raid, with a SATA output. If I could find the equivalent of that for USB's then I could have my flash drives in hardware raid, and probably fit it in a drive bay.

@Enderman

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!