How common is raid 0?

I use raid 0 on two crucial SSDs and it can give me up to 100% speed boost. With that kind of speed increase it would seem that more people would be doing it than their appears to be.  

It's not uncommon but the if one drive fails then you lose all of your data, and the chances of drive failure virtually double and therefore so does your chances of total data loss.

The safest option by far is RAID 6 but that requires 4 drives.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Problem is, not everyone is going to have any need for it.

Like me. I have no need for RAID.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I know one technically inclined person who uses it. I use RAID 1 & RAID 5 on a few systems, but no RAID 0. Considering getting a second SSD and testing it on my laptop. I have a secondary drive that houses non OS data and it is backed up on a reoccurring basis.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

RAID 5 and 6 are slower options than RAID 10. 5 and 6 require a parity bit calculation that can slow down the read/write speeds, ESPECIALLY (and quite noticeably) if the array is built in software (as opposed to a hardware RAID controller). raid 10 requires 4 drives (like RAID 6) but is as fast as RAID 0 and allows for 1 drive to fail.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Ive been using raid-0 for over 10 years. I've only had a few problems and only recently 1 big enough to lose data. Never lost data before, and i blame my x99 board for it, because it does things differently somehow. Was pretty pissed when it happened...

I have no signature

~snip~  

Hey there :)

RAID0 does offer a good speed increase but it does not exactly double it. You would get more of a 85%ish speed increase on the sequential read/write speeds and little gain on the random read/write speeds. Striped arrays are great improvements for some types of usage while others gain little from this. It really depends on what you are doing with the array. For example, often boot times from a 2x250GB SSD RAID0 are actually longer compared to boot times from a single 500GB SSD or even a single 250GB SSD as the array needs to be initialized first. 
Moreover, RAID0 does not offer any redundancy whatsoever and the chance of losing data with this are significantly higher. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I use raid 0 on two crucial SSDs and it can give me up to 100% speed boost. With that kind of speed increase it would seem that more people would be doing it than their appears to be.  

The thing of it is, in actual practical terms, the speed increase is not noticeable to the user unless they are doing a lot of large file transfers to another drive capable of achieving similar speeds.

Going from HDD to SSD - totally worth it. No question. Everything is better, faster, more responsive.

Going from SSD to SSD's in RAID0 - you won't notice much difference in your day to day activities.

Not to mention, it increases troubleshooting complexity if the RAID Array ever causes problems, and of course, the increased risk of data loss.

Most people don't bother with RAID0 because SSD's are already fast enough, so why bother?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Is there anything else, I don't relay like how they breakdown the numbers for desktop rating. Also it will not take my SSDs in raid.