Worth upgrading from an i5 2500k to an i7 4790k purely for streaming?

Baeger

Pretty much all in the title.  I don't want to go DDR4 but I want something with a little more oomph that can handle the game I'm playing plus encoding on OBS (which my i5 2500k currently cannot handle).  Is this the best way to do it?

I have about £600 ($1000) to splash out but I don't want to spend that all unless it would be a waste not to (hence not going DDR4).

Will an i7 4790k be able to handle, say, Battlefront + Streaming?  Or do I need to go bigger?  Say 5th or 6th gen.  If I did go 5th gen I'd probably get a Hex-core anyway.

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core I7-10700K

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair HXi Series HX850i

Storage: M.2, SATA SSD, Array of 6TB HDDs, etc etc. 

CASWYN (Old Main Rig - Retired):

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

Either a 4790k or maybe you should go with a 5820k if you can afford it.

Also change PSUs. Please don't use a CX series one.

Sig under construction.

Pretty much all in the title.  I don't want to go DDR4 but I want something with a little more oomph that can handle the game I'm playing plus encoding on OBS (which my i5 2500k currently cannot handle).  Is this the best way to do it?

I have about £600 ($1000) to splash out but I don't want to spend that all unless it would be a waste not to (hence not going DDR4).

Will an i7 4790k be able to handle, say, Battlefront + Streaming?  Or do I need to go bigger?  Say 5th or 6th gen.  If I did go 5th gen I'd probably get a Hex-core anyway.

what are you streaming?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

I'd say for a little more a 5820k will make more of a difference than a 4790k

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Either a 4790k or maybe you should go with a 5820k if you can afford it.

Also change PSUs. Please don't use a CX series one.

Is a CX750 not going to be enough? :(

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

It's supposedly *enough*, but it's not a good idea to use it. It's horrible quality.

Sig under construction.

what are you streaming?

On OBS, I'd like to be able to Stream games like Fallout 4, Battlefront, etc (pretty much demanding, modern games)

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

On OBS, I'd like to be able to Stream games like Fallout 4, Battlefront, etc (pretty much demanding, modern games)

4790k would do the trick, slap a H100i on there and OC the phuck outa it

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

reputation of CX PSU's are... well, lets say the reputation is going down in flames.

Solitaire. 

It's supposedly *enough*, but it's not a good idea to use it. It's horrible quality.

I was told it would be all I'd ever need unless I went with a multi-GPU build in terms of wattage but I never really looked into the rest of it :S

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

I was told it would be all I'd ever need unless I went with a multi-GPU build in terms of wattage but I never really looked into the rest of it :S

the wattage is plenty, but that PSU has been known to catch fire and explode. 

if its given you no problems, then dont replace it, but if odd things start happening replace it immediately 

Solitaire. 

Nah, explosively bad.

Should...I be worried?!?! 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

If bad things start happening, definitely. If not, just be wary.

Sig under construction.

the wattage is plenty, but that PSU has been known to catch fire and explode. 

if its given you no problems, then dont replace it, but if odd things start happening replace it immediately 

Right well...I certainly missed the memo there.  So anyway, 4790k, H100i, and a...MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard maybe? 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

well get the 4790k and a new psu. xfx or evga g2,gs,gq, and any seasonic unit

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

Right well...I certainly missed the memo there.  So anyway, 4790k, H100i, and a...MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard maybe? 

that's a good board. 

MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS are the brands to go with

Solitaire. 

well get the 4790k and a new psu. xfx or evga g2,gs,gq, and any seasonic unit

or silverstone or antec

Solitaire. 

Honestly, I wouldn't get too pent up about it. People have run high end systems on a PSU worse than the CX-series. Saying that, I would advise you swap out your PSU for a better quality one anyway, but it's not super serial right now.

If you can, I would say try to pick up a secondhand i7-2600K. It'll slot right into your motherboard, and they're not stupidly expensive. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=i7-2600k&ssPageName=GSTL

It's at least cheaper than going with Haswell. Then when you start to feel the 2600K straining, upgrade. It may be a good time at that point to go Skylake (or whatever generation is floating about).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

that's a good board. 

MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS are the brands to go with

That's what I've heard, I was thinking ASUS RoG but it's a little on the pricey side.  

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Honestly, I wouldn't get too pent up about it. People have run high end systems on a PSU worse than the CX-series. Saying that, I would advise you swap out your PSU for a better quality one anyway, but it's not super serial right now.

If you can, I would say try to pick up a secondhand i7-2600K. It'll slot right into your motherboard, and they're not stupidly expensive. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=i7-2600k&ssPageName=GSTL

It's at least cheaper than going with Haswell. Then when you start to feel the 2600K straining, upgrade. It may be a good time at that point to go Skylake (or whatever generation is floating about).

Hmmm that's something I'd never considered!  

I think I want a new motherboard anyway however, the current one I have doesn't even do PCIe 3.0 :(

Still worth considering though, especially with a H100i kitted on.

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

That's what I've heard, I was thinking ASUS RoG but it's a little on the pricey side.  

the MSI gaming 5 is a good board, which one you get depends on color scheme

Solitaire. 

Hmmm that's something I'd never considered!  

I think I want a new motherboard anyway however, the current one I have doesn't even do PCIe 3.0 :(

Still worth considering though, especially with a H100i kitted on.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal. Our current generation of graphics cards aren't hindered by PCIe 2.0 to any reasonable degree. 

If you have the space for it, a last-gen H110 from Corsair costs £84. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B4OCW7K?keywords=h110&qid=1449513918&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It is a 280mm rad, so you'll have to make sure it's compatible with your case.

But yeah, get a 2600K and save the money for your next upgrade. That's the route I would take, anyway.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Honestly, it's not a huge deal. Our current generation of graphics cards aren't hindered by PCIe 2.0 to any reasonable degree. 

If you have the space for it, a last-gen H110 from Corsair costs £84. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B4OCW7K?keywords=h110&qid=1449513918&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

It is a 280mm rad, so you'll have to make sure it's compatible with your case.

But yeah, get a 2600K and save the money for your next upgrade. That's the route I would take, anyway.

I'm rocking an Aerocool XPredator (full size) so I think I'm good for a H110, but yeah, great idea really, good way to save money and hopefully a little OC will let me Stream on OBS.

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

Spoiler

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

I'm rocking an Aerocool XPredator (full size) so I think I'm good for a H110, but yeah, great idea really, good way to save money and hopefully a little OC will let me Stream on OBS.

Yeah, it should be okay.

The other option is to build on the new platform, but use your old hardware in a second PC for a family member, or sell it. Should fetch a bit of money with a half-decent GPU.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler