Worth upgrading from an i5 2500k to an i7 4790k purely for streaming?

Baeger

Yeah, it should be okay.

The other option is to build on the new platform, but use your old hardware in a second PC for a family member, or sell it. Should fetch a bit of money with a half-decent GPU.

Honestly I was thinking of getting the new motherboard, processor etc and turning the old stuff into a LAN PC, I've got a relatively small case and a GTX760 laying around :3

That's why I was thinking i7 4790k in the first place with a decent Asus or MSI mobo and a decent air cooler for around £400, leaving me £200 for some nice new headphones :D

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core I7-10700K

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair HXi Series HX850i

Storage: M.2, SATA SSD, Array of 6TB HDDs, etc etc. 

CASWYN (Old Main Rig - Retired):

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

Honestly I was thinking of getting the new motherboard, processor etc and turning the old stuff into a LAN PC, I've got a relatively small case and a GTX760 laying around :3

That's why I was thinking i7 4790k in the first place with a decent Asus or MSI mobo and a decent air cooler for around £400, leaving me £200 for some nice new headphones :D

I don't have huge experience with headphones, and I certainly don't claim to be an audiophile to any degree, but the Kingston Hyper X Clouds are really nice. Not that expensive, either.

I've been wanting to build a LAN PC, but I just can't justify it. I was going to kit it out with a Z97 ITX board and a G3258, but again, can't justify. If you're gonna go LAN, I would say SFF rig, definitely the way forward!

Else, pick up a 2600K, save £450 and call it a day.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

I don't have huge experience with headphones, and I certainly don't claim to be an audiophile to any degree, but the Kingston Hyper X Clouds are really nice. Not that expensive, either.

I've been wanting to build a LAN PC, but I just can't justify it. I was going to kit it out with a Z97 ITX board and a G3258, but again, can't justify. If you're gonna go LAN, I would say SFF rig, definitely the way forward!

Else, pick up a 2600K, save £450 and call it a day.

Yeah, I've heard good things about those Hyper X ones, I'll have to give them a try at a convention, I'm leaning more towards Sennheiser anyway (I'm also no audiophile but somewhat of an enthusiast)

For a lot of people a LAN PC isn't justifiable so I get that.  From the sounds of it, it would be a nice build though :D  Makes sense for me though.  I used to take my main rig to my friend's just a few doors down all the time, but I've moved miles away and we still like to get together for our LANs so I want something I can take on a short train ride/car ride.  My full tower barely fits in my car :o 

See, the reason I'm not too sure about a 2600K is because I keep getting paranoid about game performance with my current motherboard and 2500k.  Fallout 4 for example has these huge dips and I figured it was because of the fact the 2500k isn't as "modern"

About me:  23 Year old Software Developer from Wales, UK.  PC gamer and occasional Xbox Series X gamer (fanboy in recovery lol).  I stream occasionally as a hobby. 

The Rigs/Specs

KONAN (Main Rig): 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core I7-10700K

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Digital Midi Tower Glass Gaming Case - Gunmetal Grey

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming (Socket LGA 1200) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card

RAM: Team Group Vulcan Z T-Force 48GB (2x8GB & 2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

PSU: Corsair HXi Series HX850i

Storage: M.2, SATA SSD, Array of 6TB HDDs, etc etc. 

CASWYN (Old Main Rig - Retired):

Spoiler

CASWYN (Main Rig):  i7 6700k @4.4Ghz, AsRock Z170 Pro4 Motherboard, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black Series (2133MHz, DDR4) Array of several Hard Drives totaling to 9TB, Samsung 840 120Gb SSD (Boot drive)  Ask for other stuff where relevant

CLESEK (Laptop):

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 7559 Gaming Laptop - i7-6700HQ, 12GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 960m, ADATA 128GB SSD, 1TB Standard HDD

Yeah, I've heard good things about those Hyper X ones, I'll have to give them a try at a convention, I'm leaning more towards Sennheiser anyway (I'm also no audiophile but somewhat of an enthusiast)

For a lot of people a LAN PC isn't justifiable so I get that.  From the sounds of it, it would be a nice build though :D  Makes sense for me though.  I used to take my main rig to my friend's just a few doors down all the time, but I've moved miles away and we still like to get together for our LANs so I want something I can take on a short train ride/car ride.  My full tower barely fits in my car :o

See, the reason I'm not too sure about a 2600K is because I keep getting paranoid about game performance with my current motherboard and 2500k.  Fallout 4 for example has these huge dips and I figured it was because of the fact the 2500k isn't as "modern"

That shouldn't be the case, FO4 runs like shit anyway. If your GPU isn't maxed out, then you have a bottleneck. Motherboards also don't need to be a determining factor of performance.

That makes sense if you want to go for a LAN rig for that reason. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/