So my friend things his comp runs cooler then his room

matto97

Having a dispute with a friend as he says his room is about 25c but his CPU is 20c and says the air coming out of his case is cooler then the room temp and says that fans cool down the air.... i and a friend are trying to give him a lesson and tell him how it all works but he seems to be a bit thick headed.
Can you guys please help me explain it to him xD

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

Impossible.

It'd feel cooler than his room because the air is moving and cooling him down, whereas I'm sure the rest of his room is pretty still in terms of air movement.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Having a dispute with a friend as he says his room is about 25c but his CPU is 20c and says the air coming out of his case is cooler then the room temp and says that fans cool down the air.... i and a friend are trying to give him a lesson and tell him how it all works but he seems to be a bit thick headed.

Can you guys please help me explain it to him xD

The computer itself says that my CPU runs idle between 16-18 Celsius.

@iNFamous19_ is the guy who thinks this xD

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

yeah cause your temp sensor is probably broken i have told you xD

It cant be cooler than room temperature, simple as that.  

Is he running amd?  i read alot of posts about temps reading wrong with amd.

yeah cause your temp sensor is probably broken i have told you xD

I don't believe that this statement is true and it hurts my and my CPU's feelings...

Does it happen to use liquid nitrogen?

No hes just using fans and heatsinks xD

Moving air feels cooler than still air.

Cold is sensation of heat being transferred from you to another object. (in this case the air).

The cooler something feels the more heat is being transferred (either by heat conductivity or temp difference).

If air is being moved by fans or other air currents then the air warmed by you doesn't linger, meaning heat is being transferred more rapidly. hence why a fan feels like it cools the air. but if you actually tested it with a thermometer it would be the same

regarding the CPU temp readout, one of the temp sensors is clearly broken, or the one in his room is in an unusually warm part of it.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I don't believe that this statement is true and it hurts my and my CPU's feelings...

It's impossible for the CPU to be running cooler than what is cooling it, if you have air or liquid cooling, the lowest temperature it will ever get is equal to that of the air entering the cooler.

The only semi-long term way of having your CPU running cooler than the ambient air temperature is with Phase Change Cooling. (Essentially air conditioning for your CPU)

If your cpu thermal sensor is giving an output that is lower than ambient and you are using air or liquid cooling, then the sensor is most likely defective.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

would this by chance be an AMD system? most monitoring programs seem to miss

the mark on what the actual temperatures are.

but no, sub-ambient CPU temperatures are not accomplished without the aid of

sub-ambient refrigerators, not with any fan based air-cooling or even water cooling.

would this by chance be an AMD system? most monitoring programs seem to miss

the mark on what the actual temperatures are.

but no, sub-ambient CPU temperatures are not accomplished without the aid of

sub-ambient refrigerators, not with any fan based air-cooling or even water cooling.

Nah its Intel based 

Nah its Intel based 

What is he measuring the room temp with?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What is he measuring the room temp with?

Thermostat i think he said

Thermostat i think he said

Is the computer in a cool corner of the room or on the ground?

Air lower near the floor does tend to be cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is the computer in a cool corner of the room or on the ground?

Air lower near the floor does tend to be cooler. 

honestly no clue

Stupid and stubborn is a hopeless combination.

Logic and evidence is useless.

Best you can hope for is another friend or two with brains to witness the stupidity and call'm out on it.

Feel free to correct me and all that if I am wrong. I'm always happy to learn or make things certain. 

Isn't it possible for the cpu to run cooler than the room temperature? (I have seen a cpu run at 15 on air while room was 23). The real term for the cooling would be the removal of heat. Since you are pumping air through the heatsinks. Thus removing warm air. The more air that flows through (even if its 30 degrees). Would still equal more heat displacement. If you get this right with low cpu usage. You should easily be able to get a cpu much lower than air temperature. (with the right cooler and fan setup).

Also its impossible for the air coming out the case to feel be colder than the air in the room. Since thats how heat transfers. The air would be much warmer than the room temperature if you were to measure it properly. 

Edited by ghostR

Feel free to correct me and all that if I am wrong. I'm always happy to learn or make things certain. 

Isn't it possible for the cpu to run cooler than the room temperature? (I have seen a cpu run at 15 on air while room was 23). The real term for the cooling would be the removal of heat. Since you are pumping air through the heatsinks. Thus removing warm air. The more air that flows through (even if its 30 degrees). Would still equal more heat displacement. If you get this right with low cpu usage. You should easily be able to get a cpu much lower than air temperature. (with the right cooler and fan setup).

Also its impossible for the air coming out the case to feel be colder than the air in the room. Since thats how heat transfers. The air would be much warmer than the room temperature if you were to measure it properly. 

The cpu can only be as cool as the air cooling it because the heat is being transferred from the cpu to the air. If the cpu was cooler than the air, the cpu would be cooling the air. 

If the cpu is running a 15c when the room temp is 23c, that either means the sensor is faulty or the air coming into the case is much cooler than the rest of the room.

Heatsinks and coolers don't magically move heat away from the cpu. Heat transfers to the cooler object and not the other way around. 

The cpu can only be as cool as the air cooling it because the heat is being transferred from the cpu to the air. If the cpu was cooler than the air, the cpu would be cooling the air. 

If the cpu is running a 15c when the room temp is 23c, that either means the sensor is faulty or the air coming into the case is much cooler than the rest of the room.

Heatsinks and coolers don't magically move heat away from the cpu. Heat transfers to the cooler object and not the other way around. 

I literally was about to say how much of an Idiot I must have sounded. I forgot the simple way of heat moving to the cooler object. However, still trying to find out how a cooler master v8 was able to cool a cpu to around 15 degrees while it was around 23-30 that day. I'm assuming the air itself must have been much cooler than the air being sucked into the cooler. 

Also thanks for correcting me.

CPU core temps are known to be incredibly inaccurate  due to the type of sensor at lower temps. It's just wrong, that's all.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Sensors at often callibrated for load an do not output a accurate reading in idle. I have seen this many times and few people know this is a thing. Only trust your loadreading